Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2001 9:31:13 AM EDT
Some of the other members on the board have talked about the ATN line of scopes:  they have a 5X series with illuminated reticle and .223 bullet drop compensator.

They look really cool and they are relatively inexpensive ($250 range), but I have to wonder if they are really any good.  Mostly concerned about three things:

1) Durability
2) Accuracy
3) Clear optical picture

Anyone else know anything about these.

Check it out:

http://www.aimdiscount.com/AMT5X33L.html

Link Posted: 1/23/2001 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You will be very happy with the ATN scopes. I've got the one you reference and it's built like a tank with really clear optics.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of mount's rings do you use on it?  

Is it on your handle or on a flattop?

Also - does the BDC work pretty well?  I heard it's designed for match ammo so I wonder if you have to have a special grain bullet and a specific bullet velocity in order for the BDC to work effectively.

They look really nice and they are only 10 inches long.. . all that with illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Who makes these, and what country? If they are built like a tank, it must be heavy. Just interested is all, and trying to become a member again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a good scope.  I am somewhat skeptical of the price, I would defiantly look through one before you buy it.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The optics are clear, the manufacturer claims the recticle is virtualy unbreakable, and it works great.  I have the ATN 5x33L.
You will have to purchase some 30mm rings for this scope.  With some high rings I think it will work fine on a flattop.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used it out to 300 yards with 55gr ammo and it adjusted fine with each change.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#7]
For the money, I think the ATN's are a damn good deal. I don't own one, but I have examined one up close and liked what I saw. My only complaint would be that creating a totally clear, broad field of view while looking through it isn't as easily accomplished as with a higher end scope.

But for $250.00, and all things considered, it would be my first choice in that price range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got one, and think its pretty good.  Not great, I've seen better optics, but I've also paid triple the price.  You know that old saying, you get what you paid for.

Still, very happy with the scope.  Very durable, no heavier then any other scope I'd consider using.  Never used the BDC, but it's there when I need it.  Love the illuminated rectile, this is a great feature.

When I bought it (from Cheaper N Dirt), I sent the first one back, I spotted a small flaw in the optics.  They sent me a new one, but Aimdiscount has them cheaper.  The new one was just fine.

I can't relate how durable it is, but it's built very well and think that it will be more durable then most other brands.  As far as accuracy, I've only used it at 100 yards or so, and like the 1/8" adjustments a lot.

I bought the heavy duty 30mm rings for it, also sold by Cheaper N Dirt, really like these, verys strong and durable.  Mounted on a flattop, works great.

Would I recommend?  Definitely, no question about it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Made in Ukraine.

Designed in USA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Howsa bout at night? Light gathering capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Found out that they are engineered in the USA, but made in the Ukraine using Russian optics.

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I got mine for $169 from Aimdiscount. Optics are clear, reticle is acceptable, built like a tank, maybe a little heavy. I have mine mounted with AIM 30mm rings on my carry handle mount and I did notice it was a tight fit in the rings. Maybe the tube is just over 30mm.

It's probably the best deal going for a medium range AR scope.

mattja
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Matja -

have you tested it out yet?   Howz the accuracy on it?

If the rings are too tight, what do you do - do you just not tighten it down as much?
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
ESP,  I've found that the accuracy with mine was Dead on at 100 yds,  Dead on at 200yds, 1/2" high at 250yds and, 1/2" high at 300 yds.  But it adjusted down in the same increments.  Probably the cheap ammo I was shooting.  That much at that yardage won't affect my shooting!  Maybe someone who's better than me but not mine!
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Howsa bout at night? Light gathering capabilities.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#17]
ATN 5x33L is not a NVD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
there were numerous threads on the old board on the atn.  the consensus was that theses were great scopes for the money.  it will be my next purchase.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know the answer to this question:

How well does the reticle show up if you don't turn the unit on.  In other words,  does it have to be turned on in order for you to see and effectively use the reticle?

and does the entire reticle light up or just part of it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew that, but a scope with quality glass can be used at night with a little illumination, ie; the moon.
I use my Leupold at night and am amazed at it`s clarity with little available light. I just wondered if somebody could point it outside and see if it will work with little light.
ATN 5x33L is not a NVD.
View Quote

Or is this a red dot type fixed?
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]
OK I just checked the site, no red dot.
It looks nice and the price is good, maybe I`ll just pick one up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
thank you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I put one on a 308 HB bolt gun. The 30-06 cam ended up working better with my handloads than the supplied 308 cam. No biggie! It does track out to 500 on my gun. After 300, I hold just a hair high to hit center mass.

The illuminated reticle is a nice touch. I've only used the lowest setting on gloomy mornings. Worked good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Just found this from Paul's Place - its a website that the registered member of ar15.com,  PAUL runs - he also has the same post under the "Scopes and Optics" section forum:

The Professional 5 33 rifle scope is fog proof, waterproof and shockproof scope with a five-power view and 33 mm lens. It has a range finder and a bullet drop compensator adjusted for the 55 grain .223 round for use out to 500 yards. The internal adjustments are 1/8” at 100 yards and the sniper style reticle is etched into the glass to take abuse. Carrying a price tag of about $230 to $250 the scope represents a good value for the features.

The glass is multicoated to fight glare and scratches and help provide a sharp image in both bright and low light. The lit reticle as ten click adjustable settings allowing the crosshairs to glow red under any lighting conditions. The included battery is a commonly available CR2032. The scope has an ample 3” of eye relief. It measures 9 and a half inches long and needs 30 mm rings (a set were included). It weighs just 24 ounces. The scope has the standard focus ring built into the eyepiece.

To zero the bullet drop compensator (BDC) you first bore sight the scope and then shoot at 100 yards with the BDC’s dial set to that range. There after a simple twist of the top mounted turret brings the crosshair into alignment. In use I found that the BDC was pretty close to keeping the shots right in the bullseyes. After a 100 yard zero the shots made at targets set at 200, 250 and 300 yards all dropped just a couple inches low through my 20” barrel using S&B steel cased ammo.

The five-power scope seems to be about the right power for most work. Using a rifle scope scope much above 5x handheld causes the target to shake and dance too much to be of good use. Higher power scopes also have less field of view, which was 25 feet for the Professional. Variable power scopes have more moving parts and can be more fragile because of this. When shooting prone with this sight the 1 minute-of-angle center dot allowed for some very accurate shooting.

The range finder uses sets of two horizontal lines made to range a 3-foot tall target. When I shoot out in the high deserts of California I use 3-foot high surveyor stakes to which I staple 8” paper plates. Walking an old mining access road I placed stakes into the sand at random ranges from 100 out to 300 yards. Using the BDC and the range finder I was able to hit the center of the plates first shot without difficulty. Taking the scope out to the local football field showed the markings were calibrated close enough for social work.

The scope’s sharp reticle has a one-minute of angle center dot with a two-minute of angle gap before the crosshair portions start. The top vertical post is four-minutes of angle, the lower post is 6-minutes. The two horizontal portions have a five-minute of angle section, and two eight-minute of angle sections. Doing the math adding between the sections you can range nearly anything of a known size.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2001 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Paul also says about the scope:

I have only have two complaints in over two years of using the scope. First, to adjust the BDC for range you have to lift your head up above the rifle because the illumination adjustment turret blocks the view of the BDC setting. If it were the other way around you could do the illumination by feel. Secondly, the internal seal of my windage turret managed to stick to and was removed by the windage dust cap. On a positive note the scope’s small size feels right on the rifle. The generous eye relief allows for a comfortable cheek weld. The range finder and BDC are two features normally not found on a scope at this price.

His website is:

http://homes.acmecity.com/rosie/cheerful/426/Firearms/Long_Arms/AR-15s/Armalite/Professional_Scope/professional_scope.html

Link Posted: 1/24/2001 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#27]
ESP, I've used mine under various cloud cover and at dusk. If you have the illumination set at 7-10 (10 is full power) the reticle will blur a little. But if you keep it at 5-6, the illumination is very fine and highly readable, even in low-light (given enough moonlight, street lights, etc).

I have had no problems with the reticle floating around either. Once zeroed, it stays that way. I was vaporizing 2-3" dirtclods at 100 yards with my Colt, which is pretty good for a 5 power scope.

I just torqued the rings down and it was fine. There is a larger gap between the top and bottom ring than with my other 30mm scope, this is why I said it's probably a hair larger than 30mm. It could be the coating too, which appears to be heavy.

For a while there, a lot of us were hot for the Tasco SS10x42M Super Sniper from SWFA, which is a great scope. But after using both, I'm beginning to realize 10x is maybe too much scope for a stock AR, especially if mounted on the carry handle. The ATM is a better alternative (and cheaper).

mattja
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2001 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Paul - you have a good site.  I like the thorough wealth of information on everything including the non- firearms stuff !

Another scope to consider might be the Leupold VariX III 1.5-5X20 Illuminated.  It's about 2X as expensive, but very, very nice.  The post on "which scope for AR" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2001 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I mean see the other post that reads "What scope for my AR"
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have an ATN 5x33LU and noticed that the rheostat knob is on backwards so when setting 5 is on the indication line the reticle light is off instead of off being on the line to turn it off. Henry Bowman, what type of flaw was in the optics? I like the scope so far, came with covers anyway.  havent shot it yet...will let you know how it is when I do.  Bought it at CFARR.COM for $205 shipped
Link Posted: 4/11/2001 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Sent mine back to SG and bought an I.O.R. 4x24 M2 Tactical Rifle Scope From Brownell's  The I.O.R. is a little more, but it is 100% better.

Photo engraved, illuminated rangefinding reticle
T3 lens coating system, developed by Carl Zeiss, consisting of full multicoating and anti-reflection treatment eliminating glare and maximizing light transmission
6061 T6 Mil spec alloy housing, "O" ring sealed and nitrogen filled
30mm tube diameter
Finger-adjustable knobs
Bullet drop compensated cam for .223 cal. 62gr projectile for ranges from 200 to 800 meters
Waterproof
Fogproof
Shockproof
Superior optical glass by Schott Glasswerk, Germany  

Link Posted: 4/12/2001 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#33]
The I.O.R. is about $130 more, but the optics look like they're worth the extra money. I like the rangefinder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#34]
I have the 5x33L.  It's a great scope for the money.  I think you will like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top