Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 8:02:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are in a church home that does things with your money you cannot tolerate, and you lack the numbers to make a change, just get the hell out!

Note that this is the [b]United[/b] Methodist Churches, not simply the methodists!

Eric The(TheFirstGeorgeW.IsSpinningInHisGrave!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I know, and I've pointed this out before in other threads.  I grew up Southern Baptist and my wife grew up Methodist.  I had strayed from God in my teens, but I started going to her church when we started dating, and we continue to go there now.

However, I have never officially joined, and I don't think I will, as they have gone way left in a lot of their policies.  It certainly has caused some problems between my wife and I, as I refuse to support a church that chooses to undermine my rights, while she really likes our church and has been going there since she was a child.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Believe me, [b]GodBlessTexas[/b], they'll never go back the other direction!

Too many female preachers would have to be defrocked! Or maybe too many.....

Eric The('ComeOutFromHer,MyPeople')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up as a Methodist but left them while a teenager when I heard that they issued a decision that women should submit to their attackers because using violence to keep from being raped wasn't "Christian".
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather did a lot for our local Methodist Church, and I joined the church when I was still in grade school. However, when the UMC council issued their annual policy statement back in the mid-80's which went against any person using a weapon for self-defense, I lost all interest in attending our church. I'm not claiming to have ever really studied the bible, but have read parts of it, and I definitely remember a passage that states 'He who will not raise a sword to defend his family shall get no protection from God.', or words to that effect. The clerics who make the policy for the UMC will have to watch it - or they'll have no flock to lead. Let 'em go wander in the desert or something, until God can show 'em the correct path to follow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Right here:
[img]http://www.iskcon.net/sacramento/nrsimha4.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I got into it via email with the chairman of the Committee of the UM Church that put forth this drivel, and told them that as a lifelong Methodist, I was vigorously opposed to any Church Doctrine that went against My belief that God wants me to be responsible for and to protect my family.  I also told him that IMO the edict of this committee was against the majority of what the rank and file church members wanted or believed. Come to find out, a great many of the "major" denominations belong to the council of churches (or some such organization) and they all support this in some way or another.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Come to find out, a great many of the "major" denominations belong to the council of churches (or some such organization) and they all support this in some way or another.
View Quote

That's why I don't go to any churches.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I explain on a regular basis to religious 'experts' that I attend Church not because of what the Church does or doesn't do, but because fellowship with other Christians enriches my life and fortifies my soul.

I've been asked why I contribute 'in kind' and only give money to 'special' offerings, and I explain that by doing so I can 'vote' with my wallet on the policies of the Church.

The United Methodist Church is my Church Home, but when I joined the Church I told the Minister that I wasn't checking my mind or conscience at the door. That I disagreed with political activisim of any Church in general and on the liberal position of the UMC in specific.

Quite embarrasing to the UMC was the fact that when the Battle Flag issue was raging in SC, attempts to stir political action from the pulpit was generally unsuccessful. Both because many Ministers didn't preach it, and because when they did they were often laughed at.

Other than the occasional comment about my eccentric method of titheing, nobody says a thing about my position on the UMC's position.

Plus, I get a kick out of wearing Union Metallic Cartridge logowear to Church and having people think it's some kind of religious statement.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Any methodists in the house?

No, but I can see a four-door Lutheran parked across the street.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#16]
[img]http://www.100megsfree2.com/satan/assets/images/South_Park_satan.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally got myself registered on ar 15 ... WHOOOOOO!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top