Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 12:44:46 AM EDT
...reloading .223 remington.

I was reloading about 30 rounds, using RCBS Precision dies, when I forgot to put lubricants on the last case...
The case remained stuck inside the die and any attempt to fix the problem was useless. The single die is impossible to find in Italy so to have only the Decapping and sizer die I have to buy again all the 2 dies kit.

I really felt like a jackass...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done the samething also.  RCBS makes a special stuck case extractor that cost something like $10 US. See if that is available in Italy.  Actually the stuck case remover doesn't have to be RCBS, Hornady, Forester etc will also work.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
That's not a "bullshit", that's a "fuckup"

;)
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's not a "bullshit", that's a "fuckup"

;)
View Quote

You're right... I have to buy maybe the whole dies set, because in Italy before to have only the Sizing Die (cod. 11129) will pass from 3 up to 7 months...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I had that happen many years ago.
I removed the decapping pin asmbly. put the die in the oven at about 250 deg, (110C) till all got hot.
Then poured in ice cold water into the die.
Being two disimilar metals the die will stay hot the brass will srink. Then take a wooden dowel and drive the case out.
Worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]
If you know a machinist, he could chuck the die in a lathe & turn out the brass.  Just be sure to tell him not to go all the way through & hit the steel of the die.  A cartridge drawing with dimensions would help.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I would cut the primer section of the case off. With a small diamond file (those little file sets), work on one side and weaken the case, by cutting a 3/4 case width grove .   With needle nose plyers, start wiggling the case until it comes out.  May need to file additional sides.

Hope this helps, and don't ruin the die.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had that happen many years ago.
I removed the decapping pin asmbly. put the die in the oven at about 250 deg, (110C) till all got hot.
Then poured in ice cold water into the die.
Being two disimilar metals the die will stay hot the brass will srink. Then take a wooden dowel and drive the case out.
Worked for me.
View Quote

I think I will try this method... if I don't do anything this die is fucked up anyway...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Steady on, lads.  To remove a stuck casing from your die, you need a vice.

Pinch the protruding brass cartridge casing in the vice.  Put a wrench on the die and torque the die back and forth till the interference fit of the casing/die wiggles loose.

Ruins the brass casing, saves the die, works for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
NO, NO, NO, NO!

Run down to the locale hardware store and get a 3/16 or 1/4 inch tap, matching drill and bolt, and 4 or 5 flat washers big enough to fit over the case head.  Drill and tap the case head.  Put the washers over the head and up against the die.  Insert the bolt and screw the bolt in untill the case is pulled out.

You might need a smaller washer that keeps the bolt head from fitting inside the bigger washers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top