Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2001 4:14:58 PM EDT
Although there is still a week left of the season, today was the last day I was going to get because of work. I have been seeing glimpses of a 14 pointer but had to settle for a 6...hmmm..maybe next year. How has everybody been making out with their season??

Regards to all

Fis_prd
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I got this 10 ptr in Comanche County Texas.  Definately my biggest buck.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/025/9S/FZ/Ul/hO33906.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At least you got to go.  I don't have the cash right now.  Heck, I've never even gone hunting.  But I sure want to.  If only those hunts weren't so darned expensive.  Count yourself lucky.
View Quote

you don't have to pay, even though private land is generally better than public. I've known people that have gotten some very nice deer on public land.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you mount its head on you wall?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

YOU criminal!
YOU Bambycider!
YOU murderer!
YOU...YOU...YOU...

May I have a steak please?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Brouhaha,

I live in the middle of nowhere...so I hunt in the woods behind my house..pretty cheap..(now duck hunting..that is expensive..) Here a large fraction of the province is Crown land. Not much private land is off limits either since it has not been that long since hunting was a way of life for many. We don't have much in the way of private deer management areas.

AR15bubba,

Nice buck! Congratulations. What was the deer's weight? My 6 pointer only went 161 lbs. BTW nice rifle!

M4madness,

My prayers are with you and your wife.

Deer season is quite early here in NB. There is only a week left of fiream season and the deer are just beginning to move. I played a few nights with twin 6 pointers (yea..there are no longer twins as of tonight). As I left my blind one night I jumped the 14 pointer he stood and watched me for about 20 seconds before he jumped the bank...and...ummm...ahhh...I had my rifle slung over my shoulders...damn!!. I should be flogged...I have seen him in field beside my house all summer...he is a nice buck.

With your season just beginning I wish you the best of luck...I hope the gods of wind direction  are with you.

Happy Hunting
Fis_Prod
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Nice buck! Congratulations. What was the deer's weight? My 6 pointer only went 161 lbs. BTW nice rifle!
View Quote

161 lbs would be a monster where i hunt.  This went 130 lbs dressed.  A nice buck around these parts start at 120 lbs, 100 lbs for a doe.

I am getting shoulder mount done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Our rifle season opens 2 weeks today, I don't own any black powder yet, or else it started a couple weeks ago.  I have off 5 days for the first week and 2 the second week.  Hopefully I should get at least one...[sniper]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
As said before at least you got to go.  I usually go to GA to hunt for a week at the beginning of the season but my schedule did not work this year.  May get in a hunt or two around thanksgiving or Christmas around here but not positive.  Nice buck, ar15bubba.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
well damn, you all are doing about a million times better than me! Out of 4 or 5 whole days I've given up to be afield the last couple weeks for muzzleloader I saw ONE brown flash in the distance that was well..maybe a deer.

I saw a spike running across the road and a doe vs. motorcycle at our gunclub, both back in august and those have been the only deer I've seen all year, and at the one place where everybody has guns! but it's illegal to shoot them.

rifle starts saturday, I'm not looking forward to it. Now it's no longer and option it's a have-to, it's personal this time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Sancho, I know how you feel. I was hunting all weekend and the only deer I saw was the deer I almost hit on the highway. It was the biggest deer I have ever seen this side of TV. It looked like a 10 or 12 pointer [shock] All I did was put on the brakes - the guy in front of me had to dodge it. Luckily we all including the deer made it out unscathed.
My opportunity to hunt in that state is limited to an uncle-in-laws 20 acres. I sit on a hill overlooking a brushy hollow. There either are deer in there or there are not. Mostly they are not.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Here in GA the season starts Sept 14 and runs to Jan 1. That includes archery (4 weeks) and primitive weapons (1 week), the rest is rifle. In the area I hunt, it is solid doe days from Nov 10 to the end of the season, and our season limit is 8, only two of which are bucks. I know a lot of places only get a week or two - I couldn't stand that!

I've gotten two does, one with the bow, and one on an early adult/child rifle hunt. I usually take a couple does per year for the venison. I only shoot bucks anymore if they are wall-hangers. Consequently, I have only shot three in the last six years. A 8, 10 and 11, all scored over 125".

Why don't y'all come hang out on the Hunting forum?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

YOU criminal!
YOU Bambycider!
YOU murderer!
YOU...YOU...YOU...

May I have a steak please?
View Quote

YOU AGGIE!!!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Our season just started today.  

[soapbox]
Unbelievably, my government chooses to interrupt my harvesting of tasty animals with a court date that is necessary if I am to prevent the gun grabbing Liberal b*stards from stealing my FAL.  Stealing too harsh of a word for Liberal lowlife?  Sorry - taking and keeping my legally registered, legally owned rifle with neither payment nor permission and on the strength of an unprecedented alleged legal technicality, though all parties agree that no crime has been committed and that regardless, I am able to own and acquire at least nonrestricted and restricted firearms.  But I'm not a lawyer, I just play one in court.  Today was a holiday and as I should consult with my lawyer prior to the court date on Friday, my first actual hunting will occur tomorrow PM and then I'll AGAIN have to interrupt my season in order to verbally skewer a handful of courtroom confiscationists on Friday.

The guys I'll be hunting with went out today and saw nothing but a coyote and plenty of fog.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:33:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I see we all share the common deficiency of time. Last year I only got out a few times because of work...this year I changed my priorities. For me hunting is like chicken soup for the soul [:)]

There seems to be quite a group of hunters here on AR15.com ....hmmm....I wonder if some hunting trades would be in order...maybe something to think about for next season..

Ar15 bubba,

I like shoulder mounts..that buck is a nice trophy indeed. The deer up here do grow to a nice size..thought my hands and back wish it weren't so this morning..

Is is legal for you all to bait with apples?

Does anyone get sausage made with their venison? I started getting some made up a few years ago and man is it ever good...I have been a believer ever since.

To those of you who are just beginning their season...I am envious and wish you all the best.

Peace

Fis_Prod

p.s. e8ight...good luck in court and in the field!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't even want to talk about hunting.  My friggin safe is still locked down tight, and I've missed 2 weeks of deer hunting.  Locksmith supposed to come this evening to open it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Alabama's firearms season starts this Saturday.  In Madison County, we only have 9 days of doe season, that is, you can take one doe and one buck PER DAY.  Otherwise, you can only take 2 bucks per day.

Down in south Alabama, doe season lasts all 76 days (Nov. 17 - Jan. 31.

Alabama, its a great state to live in!

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:54:53 AM EDT
[#21]
The saeson starts here in Mississippi this Sat.  We are able to take does as well as bucks on private land.  I am lucky enough to have family land to hunt on that holds lots of deer.  Can't wait till sat morning!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#22]
deer season starts thursday in michigan, and we have to enter a lottery for doe permits.  I got mine this year!  WooHoo!!  I'm in the southern half of the state, where only shotguns and muzzleloaders are allowed during gun season.  my usual hunting spot is going empty this year, 'cause i promised the wife I'd be around in the evenings to help with the baby.  Next year the one I let get away this year will just be that much bigger, and I'll still have venison.

wannabe
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Where in MS, YellowLab?  I live in Jackson.
I paid $650 for a deercamp so I hope it pays off.  I'll be missing the opening weekend though.  I'm leaving for Laredo, TX on Saturday.  My uncle owns land there so we get to hunt for free.  He sold all of us an acre a piece so we could buy resident hunting licenses[:)], it saves us $220 or so.  The place is infested with deer and when they aren't moving, the coyotes and wild hogs keep you alert.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Like it has already been posted Ms season start's this Saturday. I'll be in the wood's Monday [starting a week's vacation]. Looking forward to it. [smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top