Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 3:06:09 PM EDT
this is a pretty cool stragey game, but was slightly bothered by the depictation of patriot groups.

some guy named tobias believes that the world is going to end and that he is some sort of messiah, but at the same time wants the US to pull out of the UN and end the treaty of NAFTA and something else. if ye beleives the world is coming to an end, then why have the US pull out of NATO? this is bad plot in my opinion.

i dont like 'plain'n like a lefty (not that i would have the game pulled from shelves or something) but i saw this as a weak punch against something that is misunderstood about patriotic americans.

another thing that troubled me in the game was that all hostages and civilians have to be handcuffed. this cant be standard procedure. is it? if you are in Law Enforcement or SWAT i would like to know more about arrest procedure in such a manner. hopefully such tactics are only a mistake made by programmers who did'nt know how it is properly handled. i even had to cuff the mayor!

Most people complained about the controls, but in the version that i have you can map the whole keyboard and mouse. i set mine up like Half-life.[:)]

thought it a riot to equip all my officers with AK-74's with Kobra sights[:D] and CZ-75's

too bad i cant get the toolkit to funtion right on my puter. would be neat to recreate locales i know of and populate them with terrorist dudes.

does anybody know of any good places to download more MOD'S such as weapons, levels and the like.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I tired of SWAT 3 quickly.  The controls are cumbersome, even with customization, and if you change one operative's equipment then everyone's gets changed.  The Rainbob Six: Rogue Spear games are much better.  I need to go pick up Black Thorn.

As far as mods go, check out [url]www.bluesnews.com[/url].  They're a gaming news sight, and have links to various mod and file pages.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I tired of SWAT 3 quickly.  The controls are cumbersome, even with customization, and if you change one operative's equipment then everyone's gets changed.  The Rainbob Six: Rogue Spear games are much better.  I need to go pick up Black Thorn.

As far as mods go, check out [url]www.bluesnews.com[/url].  They're a gaming news sight, and have links to various mod and file pages.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

thanks for the link, but you can assign individual weapons to each officer. at least you can in the version that i have.

i agree the Rogue spear is spiffy, but SWAT3 offered something different and i like it. such as having non-hostile armed parties. it forces you to think about who's around you and make sure you identify your target.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the cuffing of hostages after freeing them is realistic. My brother when he was in basic for the RNLMC was involved in a plane hijack exercise by the counterterror team of the RNLMC, the recruits played the suspects as well as passengers. After they ended the hijack he told me all passengers were cuffed and taken outside to determine their ID's.

It's not very hollywood, but it makes sense to me. Especially if you don't know with how many the target is, taking Stockholm syndrom into account etc etc.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This is just lefty bull,not a big deal.

I don't think this one will be seen by many people that don't know better.
But I can see your point,I dose get old.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh Man,...I got some links for MODs,...for SWAT 3D, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint,...ect ect

Just let me click over to my other screen name (they are on my "favorites" list over on the name I use for downloading stuff)....Ill be back in a flash with some links.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Handcuffing or otherwise securing the hostages is SOP. You do not know if there was an "inside" guy among the hostages. It is also a fairly standard hostage-taker trick to try and blend in with the hostage and then slip away after the Hostage Rescue has finished. Never take any chances and secure everyone.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
here are some good links to start with, check out what these sites have to offer, and check the links they provide to other sites. You will find exactly what you are looking for if you just explore a bit.
And I think you are going to be supprised at how many new weapons/mods there are for SWAT 3D, I've got HUNDREDS of weapons, and a buttload of uniforms, and enemies available in my SWAT 3D folder.

[url]www.10-david.com[/url]

[url]www.swat3.com[/url]

[url]www.q-bik-software.co.uk/toc[/url]

this one is a good place to start for OPERATION FLASHPOINT mods if you REALLY want to create some cool missions and stuff.
[url]www.ofpeditingcenter.com[/url] (whoops, edited to add that this site is under re construction and only some of the mods are available right now, but check back, because they have a buttload of them)

let me know if you want some Rainbow Six mod links, Ive gott'em
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#8]
everyone is handcuffed in a hostage rescue situation..this is to ensure a few things.

1. terorist pretending to be hostage
2. hostage lashing out at operator because he is hurting a new friend ( a terorist)
3. Id checks
4. general security.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I really liked how you could order team members around.  I wish Redstorm had put something like that into Rogue Spear.  However, I did think the levels were a little too easy.  And Rogue Spear enjoyed more Modders than swat.  I hope Ghost Recon has the same following Rogue had.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And Rogue Spear enjoyed more Modders than swat.  
View Quote

Actually, there are quite a few mods out there for SWAT 3D, its just not as well known as the RAINBOW SIX games.
I spend alot more time setting up my own scenarios than I do playing the missions that come with the game though.
I need to check back with some of the RAINBOW sites, it's been a little while since I downloaded some new mods for it, Ive been mostly playing around with OPERATION FLASHPOINT lately. Im working on a scenario where the Resistance forces roll into a peacefull town full of civillians (a few of whom are armed with shotguns, and one or two AK 47s) massacre them, and roll off to occupy another town. Then a coalition of American, British, and Russian forces must assess the damage, and hunt down the terrorist forces to exact justice. I've played through what I have so far, and its working out pretty well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
here are some good links to start with, check out what these sites have to offer, and check the links they provide to other sites. You will find exactly what you are looking for if you just explore a bit.
And I think you are going to be supprised at how many new weapons/mods there are for SWAT 3D, I've got HUNDREDS of weapons, and a buttload of uniforms, and enemies available in my SWAT 3D folder.

[url]www.10-david.com[/url]

[url]www.swat3.com[/url]

[url]www.q-bik-software.co.uk/toc[/url]

this one is a good place to start for OPERATION FLASHPOINT mods if you REALLY want to create some cool missions and stuff.
[url]www.ofpeditingcenter.com[/url] (whoops, edited to add that this site is under re construction and only some of the mods are available right now, but check back, because they have a buttload of them)

let me know if you want some Rainbow Six mod links, Ive gott'em
View Quote

sweet! thanks madmedic. i've gotten alot more weapons now. still no .223 steyr aug though.[:(]

i tried to download the Female swat officers, but they wont down load. Grrrr!! at tacticalplanet i think
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really liked how you could order team members around.  I wish Redstorm had put something like that into Rogue Spear.  However, I did think the levels were a little too easy.  And Rogue Spear enjoyed more Modders than swat.  I hope Ghost Recon has the same following Rogue had.

View Quote

i plan on getting Ghost Recon as soon as it is released. i doubt they have the path planning on the open terrain. it would'nt make sense. the path planning was the worst aspect of R6 which more challenging. however SWAT3 get alot harder after you bumb up the difficulty and enemy AI. i've died alot.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't played SWAT3 (mainly R6) but I would agree with you if the game is as described (apart from the handcuffing scenario).  World Unity (in other words, less rights for you and me) seems to be "in" these days.  Even the Rainbow Six emblem looks strangely like the UN logo.  :(

And I would appreciate a link to the R6/RS mods, thanks!  :)

Justin
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Justin
View Quote

this is a site with alot of links, and tutorials on it
[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com[/url]

here are just a few of the links that are provided on the above site
[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/modvault[/url]

[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/mastermoders[/url]

[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/armm[/url]

explore all of the links, and you will find a whole mess of weapons/characters/uniforms
DEFINITELY download the "NATO" weapons pack mods, there are a couple of different versions of it, read the descriptions before you download

[b]Libertarian[/b]...
If I can figure out how to zip my files, I can give you so many mods youll never know what to do with them. Im sure there is a few .223 Steyr's in there. When I go to my character setup page, I have a weapons list that reads like a NYC phone book.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justin
View Quote

this is a site with alot of links, and tutorials on it
[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com[/url]

here are just a few of the links that are provided on the above site
[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/modvault[/url]

[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/mastermoders[/url]

[url]www.planetrainbowsix.com/armm[/url]

explore all of the links, and you will find a whole mess of weapons/characters/uniforms
DEFINITELY download the "NATO" weapons pack mods, there are a couple of different versions of it, read the descriptions before you download

[b]Libertarian[/b]...
If I can figure out how to zip my files, I can give you so many mods youll never know what to do with them. Im sure there is a few .223 Steyr's in there. When I go to my character setup page, I have a weapons list that reads like a NYC phone book.
View Quote

can you e-mail'em to me at [url][email protected][/url]?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
everyone is handcuffed in a hostage rescue situation..this is to ensure a few things.

1. terorist pretending to be hostage
2. hostage lashing out at operator because he is hurting a new friend ( a terorist)
3. Id checks
4. general security.
View Quote

this makes sense, but what if it someone you know of, perhaps even personally? in one scenario i cuffed the mayor of LA[:)]

LOL a mayor with stockholm syndrome [:D]

when i took a security class it was to my understanding that if you even ordered someone to sit and not move, you were in effect "arresting" them. we had to word it something like "sir/mam could you please have a seat while i ask the other people some questions for my report". i would suppose that to cuff someone is not necessarily arresting them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't played SWAT3 (mainly R6) but I would agree with you if the game is as described (apart from the handcuffing scenario).  World Unity (in other words, less rights for you and me) seems to be "in" these days.  Even the Rainbow Six emblem looks strangely like the UN logo.  :(

Justin
View Quote

true, but in R6 the main badguys were Environmental extremists. to ELF's credit they did'nt complain and have the game removed from shelves. they probably did'nt know about it anyways.

in Rogue Spear most of the "Tangos" were either eruropean or middle-eastern groups.

rainbow six is not just US, but part of a NATO effort with other countries involved, hence the UN flag. our current war on terrorism might see the creation of an anti-terrorist team similar to rainbow six. would'nt necessarily be a bad thing. Navy seals and british SAS would work well together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top