Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2001 4:42:20 PM EDT
...decided to go their separate ways today! The former president resigned from the Bar of the United States Supreme Court, rather than fight that Court's previous order of suspension!

[size=4]Ex-President Clinton Resigns Bar[/size=4]
By ANNE GEARAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former President Clinton (news - web sites) asked to resign from the Supreme Court bar Friday, rather than fight suspension or disbarment related to the Paula Jones sexual harassment investigation.

The high court suspended Clinton Oct. 1 as a follow-up to suspension of his law license in his home state of Arkansas. The high court gave Clinton until Friday to say why he should not be permanently barred from appearing before the high court as a lawyer.

Clinton lawyer David Kendall, in a letter to the court clerk, linked Clinton's request to the loss of his Arkansas law license.

On Jan. 19, a day before he left office, Clinton agreed to a 5-year suspension of the license and a $25,000 fine as part of a settlement that ended the Monica Lewinsky investigation. Independent Counsel Robert Ray agreed not to prosecute Clinton after he left office.

The agreement also satisfied the legal effort by the Arkansas Supreme Court Committee on Professional Conduct to disbar Clinton for giving misleading testimony in the Paula Jones sexual harassment case.

``In order to avoid the burden of litigation for all parties, to achieve an expeditious and definitive resolution, and in acknowledgment that his actions merited censure, former President Clinton agreed to the suspension and fine,'' Kendall wrote Friday.

The high court could act on Clinton's request as soon as Tuesday.

Supreme Court disbarment typically follows disbarment in lower courts, and is considered final. In a few cases, lawyers who have successfully regained their law licenses in lower courts have successfully won reinstatement at the Supreme Court. Likewise, Clinton could reapply if he regains his law license, in Arkansas or elsewhere, and keeps it blemish-free for three years.

Membership in the Supreme Court bar is largely ceremonial, but is regarded as an honor among lawyers. Membership requires a sponsor who is already a member, and who will vouch for the candidate's qualifications.

Clinton was admitted to the Supreme Court bar in 1977, when he was Arkansas attorney general. Like most lawyers admitted to the high court bar, Clinton has never argued a case before it.

Eric The(Didn'tSee[u]That[/u]OnTheEveningNewsNow,DidYou?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to add the link: [url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011109/us/scotus_clinton_1.html[/url]
[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if all the members over at DemocratUnderground are wearing black panties right now...?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty schwe-e-e-et alright.

However, have you noticed how the press has almost completely ignored this story? Absolutely no mention on the nightly TV news broadcasts, and it's buried in the back of the newspapers. Almost makes you wonder if the media sort of has a thing for this Clinton guy or something...Nah, couldn't be!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the statement "the former President Clinton".  What the hell!! Call him Bill Clinton, that is who he is now. Fuck what he was, it doesn't matter what he was, he isn't the President now so who the hell cares!!!

[beer]

Rant off
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I always get a kick out of the ruthlessness of these bash Clinton threads.In all of his failed and flawed self indulgent humanity we do owe him a debt of gratitude for being the sacrificial lamb that drove the press out of the White House bedroom. Republicans can breathe a sigh of relief that no one feels inclined now to look into GWB's drug and alcohol abuse in his life before the presidency. Perhaps we can allow him a little bit of privacy to work the 12 steps personnally and be a man, without being expected to be a God.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Who cares what one does before or after being the President. It is what is done while being the President that counts.

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Post from grimshaw -
Republicans can breathe a sigh of relief that no one feels inclined now to look into GWB's drug and alcohol abuse in his life before the presidency.
View Quote

What the Hell are you talking about boy? We were treated to weeks on end about a year ago of 'rumors' about G.W's youthful indiscretions. including drug and alcohol abuse!

Remember the book written by the convicted felon that claimed that Bush Sr. got a cocaine charge against George W. dismissed, expunged, and buried, back in the 70s? Were you asleep, man?
Perhaps we can allow him a little bit of privacy to work the 12 steps personnally and be a man, without being expected to be a God.
View Quote

Maybe when we see Bill Klinton acting like someone on a twelve step program, then we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

And insofar as privacy is concerned, I'm all for giving the bastid all the privacy he deserves, but his showing up on a regular basis on my television screen doesn't seem to me to show a cry from him to respect his 'privacy.'

No one, not even Monica, called him a 'god'! I believe her name for Clinton was 'the Creep.'

I can live with that. He's just 'the Creep' from now on!  

Eric The(SoTellMe,Does'AZ'StandForArizona,OrTheAzores?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
No Eric, I did not catch that about GW's cocaine abuse, but after all the media is twisted at best. I find it interesting however because I partied with a few hippies myself for awhile, and I recognize in GW a humility that I have not seen since Jimmy Carter. I don't defend Clinton. He is a lawyer that has tried to defend himself and failed. Republican or Democrat means nothing to me. I'll vote for a truthful man of character of either party.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
AZ stands for Arizona. "The Land of Dry Poop and Dry Boogers" to you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for your frank response to my tweak!

I too sense something of the 'reformed' in George W., but since he freely admits that when he was young and irresponsible, he was, well, young and irresponsible, it's quite open.

And insofar as Jimmy Carter having humility, well, let's just say he has a lot to have humility about. I will say that he's been a grand ex-President!

Bill Clinton is indeed a lawyer that attempted to defend himself and failed, but unlike most disbarred lawyers, he didn't just threaten the legal well-being of his clients, he was almost successful in taking down this country with him!

Who knows whether Sept 11 would have happened had the boy wonder president not used cruise missiles against Bin Laden simply to get Monica's grand jury testimony off the front pages of the newspapers and as the lead story in the evening news broadcasts?

Eric The(That,MyFriend,IsNotBeingALawyer,ThatIsBeingACriminal!)Hun[>]:)]

PS, Yes, I figured that AZ meant Aridzona.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I had heard that the plan was at least 5 years in the making, so blaming Clinton for that is a little feeble.As the resident right wing helmet I'm sure you were gleeful at the time of the missile launch, because everybody knows Republicans prefer war to any sex stuff. You can always spot the Republican at an orgy because he keeps checking his watch and he's still in his 3 piece suit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you been drinking, Son? So what if the Plan to attack the WTC was 'five years in the making', the point is that Clinton had sufficient opportunities to finish Bin Laden off and neglected to take them!

When he did attempt to punish Bin Laden for the Embassy bombings, it was painfully obvious to the whole world (ahem, well most of the world) that the timing of the punishment conveniently coincided with the appearance before the Grand Jury of Monica Lewinsky. And there was absolutely no follow up whatsoever!

Recently Russian President Putin admitted that Clinton did not seem eager to him to fight the terrorists.

Eric The('ResidentRightWingHelmet'-ILikeThat)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you been drinking, Son? So what if the Plan to attack the WTC was 'five years in the making', the point is that Clinton had sufficient opportunities to finish Bin Laden off and neglected to take them!

When he did attempt to punish Bin Laden for the Embassy bombings, it was painfully obvious to the whole world (ahem, well most of the world) that the timing of the punishment conveniently coincided with the appearance before the Grand Jury of Monica Lewinsky. And there was absolutely no follow up whatsoever!

Recently Russian President Putin admitted that Clinton did not seem eager to him to fight the terrorists.

Eric The('ResidentRightWingHelmet'-ILikeThat)Hun[>]:)]  
View Quote

Clinton was more than not eager, to hear the Russians tell it they knew that binLaden was up to something, because they had captured and effectively interrogated some of his people who were helping the Chechan rebels.  The Clinton administration was not willing to discuss the issue with them... Clinton wanted nothing to do with anything that would require the use of troops after Somalia... he was basicly a chickenshit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Republican or Democrat means nothing to me. I'll vote for a truthful man of character of either party.
View Quote

Yep me too, I always vote for the candidate rather than the party.  Both Republicans & Democrats introduced some real hare-brained ideas.

As for Bill Clinton, this little debacle couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  Good bye and good riddance.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#15]
No I am not drinking.You're a moderator so I can't really say what I think of your comments freely, but if you really want to be a Republican and take the right wing stand I think you need to qualify yourself by getting a job.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always get a kick out of the ruthlessness of these bash Clinton threads.In all of his failed and flawed self indulgent humanity we do owe him a debt of gratitude for being the sacrificial lamb that drove the press out of the White House bedroom. Republicans can breathe a sigh of relief that no one feels inclined now to look into GWB's drug and alcohol abuse in his life before the presidency. Perhaps we can allow him a little bit of privacy to work the 12 steps personnally and be a man, without being expected to be a God.
View Quote

You're obviously mentally deficient. That along with your obvious disdain for Ethics makes me wonder why you choose to clutter our landscape and be another Lefty "Air Pirate".

I bet you live in Tempe.

D. www.azexarms.com
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell ya what, I would rather have a [b]man[/b] who admits to his faults over a person like Clinton who lies with every breath... "I didn't inhale".

Every living person has done things others would judge them for.  The defining factor is that a moral and just person will admit to their mistakes or past acts.  An immoral or unjust person will lie in an effort to mask their true identity.

I would rather have a man in office who admits to past drug usage or admits to having a drink over a man who pretends to be perfect when he obviously isn't.  Clinton assumed all citizens were stupid and that he was above us.  GWB treats us with respect and dignity, as a leader of free men should.

I wouldn't want Bill Clinton as my next door neighbor, especially if I had a teenage daughter.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You're obviously mentally deficient. That along with your obvious disdain for Ethics makes me wonder why you choose to clutter our landscape and be another Lefty "Air Pirate".

I bet you live in Tempe.

D. www.azexarms.com
View Quote

I don't understand why you consider me to be mentally deficient? What is your post directed at? Ethics with a capital E? No I don't live in Tempe, and what would it mean if I did? For your pointy headed little internet sniper self's information I voted for Bush. When you move to Mesa with whatever "operations" you are serving under try to make some sense when you get there. The LDS operations there are probably just your cup of tea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top