Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 3:39:03 PM EDT
They didn't SAY outright that it was domestic in origin, but the profile is very UNLIKE the Sept. 11 Terrorists.
FBI: Anthrax Mailer Probably a Man With a Grudge

Friday, November 09, 2001

Email this Article    

WASHINGTON — The anthrax mailings probably are the work of a man who is familiar with hazardous material, works where he has little contact with other people and may have held a grudge against letters' addressees, the FBI said Friday.

In a fresh appeal to the public for help in solving the anthrax mailings, FBI officials released a profile of the suspected mailer developed by the agency's behavioral experts.

The profile does not address the question of whether the person is foreign or from the United States.

FBI officials said the person may work in a laboratory and "is apparently comfortable working with extremely hazardous material. He probably has a scientific background to some extent, or at least a strong interest in science."

The person "did not select his victims randomly," making the effort to find a correct address and zip code of each victim and ensuring that the proper postage was used.

NBC, the New York Post and Sen. Tom Daschle were selected, the FBI said, because "these targets are probably very important to the offender. They may have been the focus of previous expressions of contempt which may have been communicated to others or observed by others."

The person who mailed the letters "lacks the personal skills necessary to confront others," the FBI said, suggesting that the man may have held a grudge against the targets for a long time.

After the Sept. 11 hijacker attacks, FBI officials said the person may have become more secretive and changed his usual pattern of activity.

"He may have displayed a passive disinterest in the events which otherwise captivated the nation," the FBI said. "He also may have started taking antibiotics unexpectedly."

During the course of the anthrax mailings and intense media coverage, the man may have altered his physical appearance, displayed pronounced anxiety or noticeable mood swings, and may have appeared more withdrawn or unusually preoccupied, the profile said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Eric "the Hun" won't like to hear this!

Daman
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Eric "the Hun" won't like to hear this!

Daman
View Quote

He aint the only one[:(]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget that there are three Antrhax letter cases that have been confirmed in Pakistan as of last Friday, according to Reuters, and that one of the letters delivered here was addressed/postmarked from outside the US.  That doesn't exactly fit with their "isolated loaner," does it?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
During the course of the anthrax mailings and intense media coverage, the man may have altered his physical appearance, displayed pronounced anxiety or noticeable mood swings, and may have appeared more withdrawn or unusually preoccupied, the profile said.
View Quote

Say, Imbroglio has been missing quite a bit lately...[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't forget that there are three Antrhax letter cases that have been confirmed in Pakistan as of last Friday, according to Reuters, and that one of the letters delivered here was addressed/postmarked from outside the US.  That doesn't exactly fit with their "isolated loaner," does it?

God Bless Texas
View Quote

I thought I heard that those turned out to be false positives when tested by the US.  Just like the one in Kenya.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
How often is the FBI profiler right?Something around 30% of the time.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The person who mailed the letters "lacks the personal skills necessary to confront others," the FBI said, suggesting that the man may have held a grudge against the targets for a long time.
View Quote

Gee, this sure sounds [b]EXACTLY[/b] like the 9-11 terrorists to me. Third world low life's with no ability or power to confront the US militarily. And as for holding a grudge, that speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
This should narrow the suspects down to 10 million or so.

By the way, I stand behind every bad thing I ever said about the media!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This should narrow the suspects down to 10 million or so.

By the way, I stand behind every bad thing I ever said about the media!!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
a couple of things:
1) This is just one expert.  They asked the opinion of some author, and he said it was a guy who lived in New Jersey for a while, and Canada for a while, and probably spoke Persian originally and was unfamiliar with english language abbreviations. (edit to add quote at end of this post)  

2) FBI profilers play the percentages based on past cases.  IMHO we are in a whole new ballgame, and past stats don't mean much.  Before 9/11, what were the statistical chances of three kamikaze commercial airliner attacks?

3) Even if we could link it right back to Iraq, the time is not ripe to take them out.  We have to finish up in Afghanistan first.  But, if we publish the link in the press, then we have to before we are ready.  Remember Bush said they chose when it started, but we will decide when to end it.  

Edit-
Thursday November 8 5:46 PM ET
Literary Sleuth Offers FBI Clues
By MICHAEL HILL, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - The English professor and literary sleuth who identified the author of the political novel ``Primary Colors'' has analyzed the anthrax-contaminated letters for the FBI (news - web sites) and come up with some possible leads.

Among them: the letter writer might have lived in New Jersey for an extended period of time, might have spent time in Canada, and might speak Arabic or Persian.

Don Foster of Vassar College in Poughkeepsie said his analysis does not prove anything and ``it might not lead us anywhere, but it at least provides some things to go on.''

It was Foster who pegged political columnist Joe Klein as ``Anonymous,'' the author of ``Primary Colors,'' based loosely on Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign. Foster also has worked on criminal cases, studying similarities between the Unabomber manifesto and the writings of Ted Kaczynski for the FBI.

Foster said Wednesday that he studied copies of the letters sent to Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, NBC anchorman Tom Brokaw and the New York Post.

The Daschle letter was postmarked from Trenton but had a bogus return address listing a ``Greendale School'' in Franklin Park, N.J. Foster said there are two Franklin Parks in that state, but the ZIP code listed is for Monmouth, N.J. He said such a diversionary tactic could indicate the sender knows the area fairly well.

``This looks like someone who may have resided in New Jersey for some months or maybe longer,'' he said.

There is no Greendale School in that area either, though there are a number of them around North America. Two Greendale Schools in Canada - one near Montreal and another near Vancouver - were recently in the news. It is possible that the author heard the name ``Greendale School'' while spending time in one of those areas, Foster said.

The clumsy job on Daschle's address, with ``Hart Senate Office'' on one line of the envelope and ``Building'' isolated on the next, could suggest someone who does not know how to abbreviate words in English. It also could indicate the author is not used to writing left to right. A number of languages, including Arabic and Persian, are written right to left, he said.

The FBI confirmed that it asked for Foster's opinion of the letters.

FBI officials have acknowledged that agents have few clues in the investigation into the anthrax attacks that have left four people dead.

-
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Gentlemen, gentlemen, it does not displease me to hear that the perpetrator of the anthrax attacks is domestically based, for the simple reason that it might mean we can get our hands on his throat!

What [u]would[/u] displease me greatly would be to learn that the perpetrator was a native-born citizen, who, for some f***ed up reason bears a grudge against his country. But as the article states, there is no conclusion of whether the perpetrator is foreign or from the United States.

I am certainly not an expert in criminal forensics or behavioral science, but I would think that the downward slant of the lettering on the two envelopes that were recovered would indicate printing by someone who customarily wrote from right to left, rather than left to right. I think this may have already been pointed out by others.

There are several languages that share that trait, two of which are Hebrew and Arabic. I, for one, would eliminate any Hebrew connection, simply for, er, political reasons - it serves no obvious Jewish/Israeli purpose.

For a view of the envelopes and letters, go to:
[url]http://www.graphicinsight.co.za/anthraxletters.htm[/url]
or to:[url]http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/102301.htm[/url]

But, you are correct that I would be mightily displeased to learn such trash was homegrown!

Eric The(Hopefully,ItWasn'tTimMcVeigh'sPartner,JohnDoe)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I had almost forgotten about John Doe and John Doe 2...

Then there is the matter of whats his name, the Atlanta Olympic Bomber, he hasn't been seen from 5 years.  You could learn to grow your own culture from scratch in 5 years...

And dont discount coincidence, if you are growing this stuff yourself, in large enough quantity to use as a weapon, how are you going to store it without killing yourself? I would think that you would use it as soon as you had enough to accomplish your mission.

It would also explain why his letters had such varying quality of anthrax. His poorist quality stuff whent to his least important target and his best stuff to his highest...
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
ArmdLbrl, I think his name is Eric Rudolph. Is that right? Funny, I wonder if he taught Osama about living in caves or [i]vice versa[/i]? [>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't get why they think this is domestic. What points to a lone nutjob? Wheren't there some letters mailed from Florida?
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, I had almost forgotten about John Doe and John Doe 2...

Then there is the matter of whats his name, the Atlanta Olympic Bomber, he hasn't been seen from 5 years.  You could learn to grow your own culture from scratch in 5 years...

And dont discount coincidence, if you are growing this stuff yourself, in large enough quantity to use as a weapon, how are you going to store it without killing yourself? I would think that you would use it as soon as you had enough to accomplish your mission.

It would also explain why his letters had such varying quality of anthrax. His poorist quality stuff whent to his least important target and his best stuff to his highest...
View Quote

That would be Eric (SCUMBAG) Rudolph.
[img]http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/rudolph1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/rudolph2.jpg[/img][img]http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/rudolph3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/rudolph/rudolph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I think it was one of those Environmental Left Wing Extremists. Of course then it would be OK.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, if it was the milita types, I would have thought one of their first domestic targets would have been the U.N. and Clinton.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

God Bless Texas
View Quote

I thought I heard that those turned out to be false positives when tested by the US.  Just like the one in Kenya.
View Quote

All I heard was that they had at least one suspect in custody in Pakistan in connection to the letters that had been sent.  I hadn't heard that they proved to be a hoax.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe it is domestic, but why was it that the first guy that got in the news, the dead dude in FL, had contact to the hijackers?
his wife or sister or sister in law or something fairly closely related rented them an apartment
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a new hypothesis.

I am pretty convinced that the Fed.gov KNOWS that the anthrax originated from a foreign source.  
(most probably Iraq or ex-Soviet stock purchased by Muslim Extremists)

If they identify it as such, and it was state sponsored, then "The Gloves are Off".

We would be forced to retaliate with tremendous force, most probably utilizing nuclear weapons.

The political and military leaders are probably fearful that they could not sustain war on 2 separate fronts simultaneously.  

(not to mention that it would probably initiate the beginning of WW3)

My best guess is that these terrorist assholes are just "toying" with us right now.  (look at all of the panic, chaos, financial devastation and health problems that they created with JUST TWO OR THREE ENVELOPES!)

They are most probably enjoying the panic created here, especially with each new "threat alert".   Once the sheeple become complacent again and get used to the "alerts", the scumbag terrorist will strike again and strike in a BIG way !

[:(!][:(!] My solution:  NUKE THE FUCKERS NOW!  [:(!][:(!]
(before they develop WMD or attack us again)

Just my .02  ...

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, if it was the milita types, I would have thought one of their first domestic targets would have been the U.N. and Clinton.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

UN isnt domestic and Clinton is out of power.
Besides American elected officials are the ones who decide if the UN stays in the US or the US in the UN...
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Anti-social geek-loner with a grudge?  Sounds like Al Gore to me.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
UN isnt domestic
View Quote

The U.N. building isn't in New York?  Every militia type I've ever met has had an axe to grind with the "NWO/U.N. conspiracy."

and Clinton is out of power.
View Quote

So is the senior Bush, but don't ever think Sadam doesn't hold a grudge.

Besides American elected officials are the ones who decide if the UN stays in the US or the US in the UN...
View Quote

And lord knows that in the past year our government and the U.N. haven't clashed.  Let's see, we've been removed from the Human Rights commitee, and told them they could shove it at the Conference on Small Arms and the Conference on Racism.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a new hypothesis.

I am pretty convinced that the Fed.gov KNOWS that the anthrax originated from a foreign source.  
(most probably Iraq or ex-Soviet stock purchased by Muslim Extremists)

If they identify it as such, and it was state sponsored, then "The Gloves are Off".

We would be forced to retaliate with tremendous force, most probably utilizing nuclear weapons.

The political and military leaders are probably fearful that they could not sustain war on 2 separate fronts simultaneously.  

(not to mention that it would probably initiate the beginning of WW3)

My best guess is that these terrorist assholes are just "toying" with us right now.  (look at all of the panic, chaos, financial devastation and health problems that they created with JUST TWO OR THREE ENVELOPES!)

They are most probably enjoying the panic created here, especially with each new "threat alert".   Once the sheeple become complacent again and get used to the "alerts", the scumbag terrorist will strike again and strike in a BIG way !

[:(!][:(!] My solution:  NUKE THE FUCKERS NOW!  [:(!][:(!]
(before they develop WMD or attack us again)

Just my .02  ...

View Quote

I agree that the Gov't knows that  the anthrax attacks have a foreign source. The administration is not ready to respond and so periodically puts out this "domestic source" BS to divert attention. The fact that the FBI source for the domestic theory is always unnamed is only one sign that this is disinformation.
I also agree that "nuking " the five or six caves where bin Laden may be would probably be the a practical thing to do, but crossing the nuclear threshold would be politically crazy right now. The nuclear response will come after a device (actual A-bomb or the so-called "dirty nuke")has
been detonated in the U.S.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Actually, we will probably nuke a few caves and tunnel complexes, once we get troops on the ground.

I know of no treaty, that prevents the use of nuclear weapons for combat engineering tasks.

We will reassemble a few ADM's and use them to seal caves and tunnels. Their power would only be in the tens or hundreds of tons of HE and would be set off underground, so who would notice or complain other than Greenpeace...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
... It looks as though this theory is quickly turning to shit. Foreigners arrested today!

[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/585289/posts?q=1&&page=119#119[/url]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#27]
There is nothing to confirm that article on any of the wires or Fox or CNN.

However there is this: [url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011206/pl/fed_anthrax_4.html[/url]

Anthrax discovered at the Federal Reserve Bank.  In US Mail, now since Nov. 20 all their mail should have been irradiated so.

The Fed is also a big target of the Far Right, some of whom want to go back on the gold or silver standard...
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you believe the FBI pays good $$ for that nonsense.  That Jamaican lady (whats her name) on TV could come up with better intel, at 2.99 per minute.  

Why is it that people are so willing to believe the most implausable theories?

IMHO, domestic loaners do not sit around with weopons grade anthrax to be released on cue.

Aircraft don't shed large important parts, at exactly the wrong place and time.

It's a conspiracy, someone is trying to make Islamic terrorists look really bad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought I remembered hearing that the letter to the photo editor in Florida (the first case) was postmarked before Sept. 11th.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about that case -- the Enquirer has been consistent in reporting news against the left-wingers (notably Jesse Jackson);  it would be the rare right-wing nutcase who would attack them for rooting out Jesse's lay-preaching activities.

But, hey, if the FBI says it's some militia gun wacko, I'm sure it is one.  Everyone knows that type can't be trusted, right?  I mean, look at what they did at Waco and Ruby Ridge!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top