Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 5:16:37 PM EDT
You will probably want to save this post as I'm sure it will become a vital refernce to all "newbies".

Anyways, enough self congratulation, here is the post:

Today I received a "spam can" of "sniper" ammo in 7.62x54R from AIM along with some other stuff. I tore into the other types of ammo like a spoiled little girl, shrieking with delight and tossing paper hither and thither...

Well soon enough I encountered this "spam can". Having accounted for the rest of my ammo, i knew this to be the 7.62x54R.

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/spam1.jpg[/img]

Like anyone would do, I picked it up and shook it. I could hear the ammo inside wanting to get out, and i began to chatter like an angry chimpanzee as i rotated the sealed container in my hands. I tossed the can to the ground and stomped on it with all my strength, trying to get at the sweet prize within, but to no avail. It soon became apparent that some "tools" were needed.

Luckily i was born with "thumbs" these fallanges separate me from most common beasts, and with them i grasped some "tools"- a hammer and a screwdriver. I began beating on the spam can with them both in a frenzy of rage.

Finally i remembered (perhaps from television, "the best teacher") that i had seen other humans use hammers and chisels to get at things. The process is quite simple, and after a number of minutes i mastered it. Holding the screwdriver in my left hand, and the hammer in the right, I swung the hammer in an overhand motion and squashed my thumb.

(Warning- painful)

Soon i realized that hitting the screwdriver worked best, and after a few swings I had made a tiny hole. My eyes went alight with happiness and i used the claw end to enlargen the hole.

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/spam2.jpg[/img]

I could barely contain my excitement! THere was the box! I could see it! smell it!! touch it!! what fun!!

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/spam3.jpg[/img]

Well, at this point i began to chatter and babble to myself as my fingers pulled the little bits of paper which hid my shiny treats. I ripped apart the box I could see and pulled all the ammo from within!! Finally it was mine!! WOO HOO!!!

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/spam4.jpg[/img]

I had done it!! all i had to do was rip apart every box within the spam can and i'd have 240 loose rounds of ammo!

I realized this was not very desirable. After another 15 sweaty minutes of smashing the hammer into my thumb and wrist, I had enlargened the hole.

I am man!

I conquer all!!

Here's the ammo:

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/spam5.jpg[/img]

WHo needs proper tools eh?? It only took me 45 minutes to get into this, and with little thought too!!!

You may congradulate me now.

Shawn
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Now...is there anybody that knows how to open these things without destroying the can? I have a few of these sitting around myself, but as of yet, I haven't attempted to open them.

How were they designed to be opened? Surely not with a hammer and chisel?

Michael
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
you smart more than me. I banged it open with my head [BD]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
P-38 can opener looks like it would work. Not talking thase Nancy-boy new fangled ones, we are talking the old military stand by.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Funny as hell BTW
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Blowtorch.  Yeah, definitely a blow torch.[;)]
[pyro]          [smash]    
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Blowtorch.  Yeah, definitely a blow torch.[;)]
[pyro]          [smash]    
View Quote

Thats a great idea! I never thought of using a torch to open up a sealed can of explosives.[thinking]

Michael
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is what I do.

Using a awl, punch one small hole on the top of the lid, and one on the side, near the bottom.  Using a acetylene torch, I fill the cavity with a mixture of acetylene and oxygen, until it starts to come out the bottom hole.  Quickly tape up top hole, and at the same time, jam a piece of cannon fuse in the lower hole.  Light fuse & run.  You will find 60-75% of your ammo after it detonates.  This leaves you an excuse to buy more.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
It's just like opening a new can of welding rods. Take your side grinder or even a dremel or file and go through the first layer on the top edge that is rolled over. It will pop off quicker than a halter top at bike week.

Hope this saves ya'll some fingers. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, it won't generate enough heat to cook off the rounds or even smoke the boxes inside.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn't it have been easier to take a drop-point knife and drive the tip into the edge of the can then slowly rock the blade back and forth?
At least you didn't get your hand stuck reaching in trying to pull out handfulls of ammo! Hahahaha!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Pangea has the right idea, but I think an iron worker or welder would already have known this. Try this: Punch a hole with your screwdriver and hammer. Then take a pair of tinsnips and cut the top off. Easiest way I know of. If you're going to spend 24.00 on the snips buy Wiss only. I even tried an electric can opener once! That did'nt work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm i wonder if the can opener on my swiss ar,y knife will work [:D] oh well ill find out soon i guess
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an Albanian can of 7.62x54R I was having trouble getting into.  So, I gave it to my 10 year-old great-nephew, and said, "I betcha can't get this open."  Two minutes later, the top was off of it.  Kids can destroy anything!z
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how it shoots, Shawn. I got a couple cans also but I think I'll put them away for the moment. Bryan said they sold about a third of it just over the last weekend.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL   Try some Det-cord next time [:D]

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now...is there anybody that knows how to open these things without destroying the can? I have a few of these sitting around myself, but as of yet, I haven't attempted to open them.

How were they designed to be opened? Surely not with a hammer and chisel?

Michael
View Quote

okie dokie, you folks have not been introduced to Uncle Ivan's can opener.  Basically those spam cans are shipped in packs of 8, included in the crate is one can opener.  When I made my first order from ammunitionstore.com, they included one of these handy dandy doohickies and after I figured out how to use it, it was open in 5 minutes with no damage to the ammo or the ammo boxes.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
They should make those cans with a metal tab and a slotted key, like a REAL can of spam...
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They should make those cans with a metal tab and a slotted key, like a REAL can of spam...
View Quote
i think some do
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Duh, why not use the tool they ship with the can?  It is a large metal 'can opener.'  It makes opening that up simple.  Bang in one side with a hammer and up down up down and it peels open.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I am still trying to get into a spam can I got three years ago full of 7.62x39.  Hell, I am still trying to open the bottle of pills my doctor gave me 6 months ago.  Anyone want to loan me their kid for an hour or so? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Duh, why not use the tool they ship with the can?  It is a large metal 'can opener.'  It makes opening that up simple.  Bang in one side with a hammer and up down up down and it peels open.  
View Quote

like I said, these cans are shipped in crates of 8 or more, with one can opener for the whole crate, so most companies don't ship the opener with a single can.  I believe Century opens some of the cans before shipment, and AIM and Ammunitionstore.com include the opener if possible.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the funniest stories I've ever heard is when (someone here?) bought several cans of Tulsa 7.62x39 "real cheap".
When he went back to the gunshop to ask "HTF do you get these open", the salesman said he just happened to have the Ivan can openers on sale for $12.99!

-

Ditto on the Wiss snips seb127. If you don't have a power cutter, Wiss is the best. They'll outlast every other name 10 times over - for twice the price.
But people still keep saving money on the cheap ones!?!
Who in the hell buys those cheap ones anywa.... oh-nevermind
[i](I just remembered how I learned)[/i]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top