Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2001 1:10:42 PM EDT
Last night (about 3AM) I was traveling home after conducting a surveillance operation...and wouldn't you know it...HIT A F-ING DEER!

I was in a 2001 Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab. 4 wheel drive. I was traveling about 60mph and didn't even see the thing jump out in front of me.  I remember a loud bang (sounded like a shot) and the next thing I knew was I was stopped on the side of the road with my front end in the ditch.  I first thought I was on fire as the cab was filled with smoke...it turned out to be the stuff in the airbags.  

I was sorta' out of it...felt like I got hit in the face and chest by a truck!  I was able to call for help and taken to the hospital by ambulance.  I knew the deputy on the scene and he secured my weapons for me (1911, AR, and .38) that I had in the truck.  I was more worried about them than the truck...the truck is a department vehicle so no money out of my pocket.  However, I still feel bad about it.

It really crushed the truck...grill, bumper, both headlights, hood, radiator, both front fenders, passenger door, mirror, passenger bedside.  Heck, the entire front and passenger side had meat and blood on it.

I am okay...sorta feel like I got my ass kicked by some 300lb monster.  However, the ER did give me some really nice medication for the next couple of days [:D]  I have a nice air bag burn on my arm and chest, and a very nice seatbelt bruise across my shoulder.

Now I have been getting calls all day from the guys I work with. They have been prank calling me, saying they are the game warden and various other things.  Oh well...I guess that is what makes life fun.

medcop
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
At least you're ok though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you are OK.

Better seat belt and air bag dings than windshield and deer hooves.

Once I had just (THAT DAY) goten my car back from the dealer froma repaint froman accident a few months earlier, and I hit a deer that same night I got my car back. Grrrrr.

AT least it was "someone elses" vehicle  [:D]

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad you did'nt get hurt ant worse than you did. At 60 mph your lucky a hoof or the rack did'nt nail you in the head. So do you get to put some good venicin in the freezer??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought your typing would start going ilke sith fter htat ccaidetn, but ouy mees 2 be alrihgt so thtsa greaght [:D] Take it easy bud.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I almost hit a deer about a year ago. I was driving by a major Hunting area a few days after Hunting/Deer Season ended and a Deer ran out in front of my truck I slammed on the brakes and managed to come to a stop since I was going no more than 30 mph at the time. The Deer then continued on right into the Hunting Area (WMA). Funny thing was, a while earlier, when I went hunting there were no animals to be found. I guess they know when hunting season begins and ends.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Airbags.  While returning home from a day river trip last year on a curvy road E of Cool, CA I witnessed a Honda in front of me hit a buck at about 45mph.  Hit the buck in the hindquarters (he'd just about cleared the car) and he went a'spinnin' off into the brush and the car pulled to the side.  I put the buck down and then ran up to the car.  Nobody out yet.  I opened up the passenger door (it hit R front so most damage there) and leaned in to check things out.  Young couple were both TOTALLY out of it.  The gal was unable to stand on her own for about 5 minutes and the guy was still pretty wobbly when I left 30 minutes later (I was cited for discharging a firearm!).  His arms were also cut up from the thick plastic that shredded as the airbag deployed.  I was astounded at the result of eating an airbag and can certainly understand how you'd be a little disoriented.  Glad you're ok, too.

CB
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
DEER ON LARGERANTLERS.COM : "HOME OF THE LARGE ANTLER DEER"

Last night (about 3AM) I was traveling home after conducting a scrapping operation...and wouldn't you know it...HIT A F-ING S-10!

It was a 2001 Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab. 4 wheel drive. I was traveling about 40mph and didn't even see the thing when I tried jump over it. I remember a loud bang (sounded like a shot) and the next thing I knew was I was stopped on the side of the road with my front end in the ditch. I first thought I was in shock as my face was filled with blood...it turned out to be the stuff in my lungs.

I was sorta' out of it...felt like I got hit in the face and chest by a truck! I was able to call for help and taken to the hospital by an Elk. I knew the foul on the scene and he secured my antlers for me (32 inches wide x 22 inches high) that I had on my head. I was more worried about them than the truck...the truck is a department vehicle so no money out of my pocket. However, I still feel bad about it.

It really crushed the truck...grill, bumper, both headlights, hood, radiator, both front fenders, passenger door, mirror, passenger bedside. Heck, the entire front and passenger side had my meat and blood on it.

I am okay...sorta feel like I got my ass kicked by some 3000lb monster. However, the ER did give me some really nice medication for the next couple of days  I have a nice tire burn on my lergs and chest, and a very nice windsheild bruise across my shoulder.

Now I have been getting calls all day from the guys I work with. They have been prank calling me, saying they are the game warden and various other things. Oh well...I guess that is what makes life fun.

DEER

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
You first went over, and tended to the injured animal... and THEN checked on the people in the car??

At first, I was disgusted that you would be cited for discharging a firearm to put a wounded animal out of it's misery... but now I'm not so sure....

Quoted:
Airbags.  While returning home from a day river trip last year on a curvy road E of Cool, CA I witnessed a Honda in front of me hit a buck at about 45mph.  Hit the buck in the hindquarters (he'd just about cleared the car) and he went a'spinnin' off into the brush and the car pulled to the side.  I put the buck down and then ran up to the car.  Nobody out yet.  I opened up the passenger door (it hit R front so most damage there) and leaned in to check things out.  Young couple were both TOTALLY out of it.  The gal was unable to stand on her own for about 5 minutes and the guy was still pretty wobbly when I left 30 minutes later (I was cited for discharging a firearm!).  His arms were also cut up from the thick plastic that shredded as the airbag deployed.  I was astounded at the result of eating an airbag and can certainly understand how you'd be a little disoriented.  Glad you're ok, too.

CB
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Benjamin0001...nice, I like that..hehehe!

After I got released from the hospital I went with a couple of deputies to the scene, just to look around.  The deer was a total loss...heck, I was thinking I could get a couple pounds of meat for jerky or something.  The deer was REALLY bad..not even worth picking over.  The highway had a very nice large blood spot with a large amount of deer parts about.

Deer season starts here Sat.  I think I am really going to enjoy this years season!..hehe

Oh, it was not a buck but rather a very large doe. (well, from what was left that is what we determined)

Thanks everyone for your comments and concern.

medcop
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
MedCop,
I work a rural county and have had 4 deer versus vehicle accidents in the last 10 days. It sure changes the way I drive at night this time if year. Glad you're OK.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You first went over, and tended to the injured animal... and THEN checked on the people ...
View Quote

You've all heard it I'm sure, but it sounds like the guy who was out hunting with his buddy. His buddy collapsed, and wasn't breathing, so he calls 911 on his cell phone. "Help me. My friend just collapsed, and he's not breathing. I think he's DEAD!" "Ok, be calm." said the 911 dispatcher, "First, let's make sure he's dead." There was a brief silence, then a loud BANG! "Ok, now what?"

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
All hunters out there.  It is up to us to thin the herds.  It is getting down right dangerous driving at night in Upstate NY.  Even in the City of Rochester.  I have never seen so many carcasses alongside every major route around here.  I see their beady eyes peering out at me as I drive the back roads of Wayne County.  Just wait for gun season, you 4 legged bastards.  I'll kill Bambi, Bambi's ma, and his pa!  MMMM...venison.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard the deer populations here in oklahoma are huge.  I wouldn't know because I HAVN"T GOT TO GO HUNTING AND HAVN'T HAD A VACATION IN THREE YEARS.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You first went over, and tended to the injured animal... and THEN checked on the people in the car??
View Quote
View Quote

Considering the lack of detail in my post that was written to say how glad I was medcop was ok I suppose your conclusion is fair enough albeit slightly insulting.  The insuation that I was somehow in the wrong is a little disturbing but I don't know you just as you don't know me.  I'll not jump to a conclusion.

They were well ahead of me when they struck the buck in a relatively sharp curve.  I stopped as soon as I safely could (about 40' behind the Honda) and left my truck w/ flasher on to alert other cars.  It JUST HAPPENED that the buck thrashing in the weeds with his guts strewn about was lined up with the front of my truck.  Probably slowed my approach to the car by 5 seconds to put him down with my snubby.

I made the assumption that since the car had slowed under control (I saw brake lights), pulled off to the side of the road and wasn't upside down, afire or otherwise demolished I could safely put the buck down without jeopardizing the Honda's occupants.

BTW, I got the exact same reaction but reversed from the locals that lived near there (rural forested area) who were appalled that I 'shot that poor deer' and egged the cop into citing me AFTER he removed the handcuffs.  You see, they liked to feed the poor little deer and decried the fact that drivers would 'speed through here killing deer' (the Honda and I were both AT the posted 45mph limit).  Seems that they might have the same type of outlook as you, FALARAK.  A little knee jerky.

Good one, Ben. [:D]

CB
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
No wonder I haven't killed a deer yet this season! It's people like you out there poaching them at night and not even eating the meat that makes it hard on the rest of us hunters!

Just kidding....Glad to hear you are ok. I had a friend that hit a deer by Lake Texoma in some other girls car. It tore it up pretty bad.

I also once saw a car that had hit a horse! When I was passing by the fire dept was cutting the people out of the car with the jaws of life. Wasn't a pretty sight.

Just hang in there and you will be back to work before you know it! [;D]

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Did the deer look like this afterwards.
Graphic roadkill picture!
[url]http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/cj_6675.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, Clay... all I said was I wasn't so sure.

I didn't jump to any conclusions... or thow any insults.  Just said I wasn't so sure, since what you wrote (and did) was to take care of the animal before checking on the people who were involved in the accident.

But, this is a public forum... and I am entitled to my opinion.

I am a true animal lover.  But, I will put people and their safety above the misery of an animal all day long.

Again, I am NOT saying you didn't do that.  From what you WROTE... it seemed a little odd... and after your explanation... still does.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel your pain!!! I just finished rebuilding my truck from a late nite deer hit. $3,000 damage and very little meat left worth saving to show for it. I think i will use a gun next time....fullclip
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Just to add, if it was a fu#$%ing deer, where is the other one???  fullclip
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just to add, if it was a fu#$%ing deer, where is the other one???  fullclip
View Quote

ROFLMAO...okay, okay..you got me on that one!

bunghole...it was not tore up as much as that pic link you posted.  It was bad..but that is VERY BAD!

medcop

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top