Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 10:19:12 AM EDT
The movie was based on the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, and I wanted to see whether the movie would skirt the issue of being armed.  I have a feeling that almost no mention of gun control was made.  Anyone care to enlighten me here?   Was the movie a liberal joke, or did they actually tell the truth for once?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It seemed pretty clear that the normal military advisors that Hollywood uses were working on Band of Brothers.  It seems that the German army forgot how to effectively use weapons.  They were made to look like idiots.  (Tank commanders refusing to fight inside the tank!)Few on either side ever took real cover, but I understand that this wasn't supposed to evaluate tactics, but I can't help being critical.

Definately a good story to be told, and indeed a lot of effort was put into acquiring weapons and ammo.

On the minus side, it seemed to be more concerned with the "Indomitable spirit of the Jewish People" type of propaganda.  No worse than a WWII John Wayne is though.  I bet those involved were concerned mainly with logistics and tactics of the uprising, not preaching.  It's a great cultural story for the Jews, but I find what many were saying as believable as those movies that portray marines thinking of mom, baseball, and apple pie when they are hitting the beach.

Overall, it was worth watching, but be prepared for cheesy accents, and poor tactics.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Overall, it was worth watching, but be prepared for cheesy accents, and poor tactics.
View Quote

Well, by definition, a teevee movie has to contain the above elements.  It's in the specs--look 'em up if you don't believe me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top