Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2001 4:50:39 PM EDT
Finally pulled out the big guns...

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/627086.asp?pne=msn[/url]

"Nov. 5 —   The United States has begun using the biggest conventional weapon in its arsenal over northern Afghanistan, NBC News has learned, dropping two BLU-82 “daisy cutter” bombs last weekend on troops of the ruling Taliban militia. Use of the 15,000-pound bombs — which leave craters as wide as five football fields — marked a dramatic increase in firepower over northern Afghanistan aimed at helping the opposition Northern Alliance launch a major offensive in the north."
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
... OUCH, "that's gonna leave a mark"
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think daisy cutters are FAE's. Me thinks daisy cutters are blast fragmentation bombs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, being much older than most, one of my favorites in Vietnam was "Napalm", it really is nasty, and strikes shear terror in the troops that it is used against.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Were these not originaly intended to create landing zones in the jungle for helicopters?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Were these not originaly intended to create landing zones in the jungle for helicopters?
View Quote

Yes they were originally built for clearing jungle. But they are not FAE's. They are filled with slurried propane but they do not arisolise it before detonation. They just go off- its enough.

We experimented in the Gulf War with using them to clear minefields, then kept dropping them as a psychological weapon.  I think this time we are checking to see if they will collapse tunnels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
This is another case of the media applying a cool name to the wrong weapon. a daisy cutter is not a fuel air weapon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Damned media playing with the ignorant (made me have to edit my first sentence). [:D]

I wonder what type of rock those caves are made in.  Maybe I'll go look it up tomorrow, sleep now.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody hear about a new Big Blue? Even the DOD guy called them Fuel Air. Maybe they've made some hybrid of the BLU-73 and 82.. (nasty thought)

Anybody remember the bugs bunny cartoon, with the dog wearing the hand puppet?
Quoth he – Something new has been added!!!

I wonder if that’s how those taliban felt when the blast wave bounced their eyeballs off the back of their skull and then sucked them out??  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#10]
HE HE HE BOOM!!!! HE HE HE [:)>]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
$27,318 bucks a piece, it had better be a big boom.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
brouhaha was the first one to guess the weight
correctly.  OdDuMet was the first to say "Big
Blue"!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=65904[/url]

These stupid bastards actually thought our
official response would be to send in several
dozen Tomahawks and call it even.  I wonder how
smart they feel right now.

(Oh shit! I just remembered... alot of them aren't feeling [i]anything[/i] right now...)

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from ArmdLbrl -
I think this time we are checking to see if they will collapse tunnels.
View Quote

Lord, I hope these weapons don't collapse the tunnels [u]too[/u] well! We might miss the lovely spectacle of our boys pulling the sorry-assed [b][i]fricasseed[/i][/b] corpse of Bin Laden out from his lair!

Eric The([u]That[/u]AloneWouldBeWorthThePriceOfAdmission!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think daisy cutters are FAE's. Me thinks daisy cutters are blast fragmentation bombs.
View Quote

I think they are FAE- IIRC, Jane's says the BLU-82 is a 15,000 lb FAE bomb. I'll have to check...wait one, Fox News Channel has the Jane's guy on now. Yep, FAE. NICE file footage of the Daisy Cutter.

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS[/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]You might be Airborne if... you have ever demonstrated a PLF in front of the company coffee pot. - John "Doc" Horton[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Since that jerkoff osama knows the geologists are studying the rocks behind him in the videos, it now seems there is a tarp of some sort behind him.

Way to go whoever reported it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they were originally built for clearing jungle. But they are not FAE's. They are filled with slurried propane but they do not arisolise it before detonation. They just go off- its enough.

We experimented in the Gulf War with using them to clear minefields, then kept dropping them as a psychological weapon.  I think this time we are checking to see if they will collapse tunnels.
View Quote

My recollection from Vietnam (of course my memory at 61 is shot), the bombs using for clearing the jungle for landing zones was a 14,000 pound, coffin shaped bomb that was rolled out the rear of the aircraft with a parachute attached and it detonated above the ground at a certain height. Maybe the ones they are talking about now are just a newer version. The BLU-82 that I see talked about on TV seems to have a duel function of destroying hardened targets, tunnels, etc and toasting and suffocating "Homo Sapiens?"
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]
This beast isn't a Fuel Air Explosive aka the BLU-96 FAE.  The Daisy Cutter was used in 'Nam to clear jungle.  Fearsome weapon...smashes the hell out of anything within a wide radius.
This is the FAE...also a wicked bomb...and also very useful against certain targets like minefields, soft buildings, ships, shallow bunkers, and of course, infantry.  This site shows the bomb sequence of detonation.  The way it works is like this:  When the bomb reaches the right altitude, the outer casing carrying the liquid fuel is blown apart, spreading the fuel in a giant dougnut shaped mist cloud.  At the same time the cloud is aerosolizing to the explosive fuel-air mixture, the electric detonators are blown out laterally into the cloud.  These electric probes are connected to the final fuzing circuit at the center of the bomb cloud.  When cloud is fully dispersed and the detonators reach the outer limits of the cloud, the high voltage is applied to the probes, they spark a lightening-like arc and viola! BOOM!  Even if it don't kill the enemy, it will give any survivors within a wide area such a shock as to render them inefective.  I would love to see their reaction.  Fry 'em up!
Here is the site.  Takes a few minutes to load at 56K...it is a slide show.
[url]http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~bronkhor/clmf/faeseq.html[/url]
We're coming for you Osama!
[devil][frag]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since that jerkoff osama knows the geologists are studying the rocks behind him in the videos, it now seems there is a tarp of some sort behind him.

Way to go whoever reported it.
View Quote

I thought the very same thing.  I mean, come on, can we give him a little MORE information about what we're doing.  I wish the f'ing press would just shut the hell up about operations
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#19]
If anybody has seen the movie "Outbreak", starring Dustin Hoffman, Renee Russo and Kevin Spacey, the opening sequence shows a mercenary camp being obliterated by a Fuel-Air device dropped from a plane.
It doesn't leave a mark---it leaves NOTHING!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Besides the wonderful blast area (600yards), it sucks up all the oxygen in the area.  Let's hope it works great on caves.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Only $27,000, that's a bargain! Each cruise missile used is about a million bucks. They should be dropping these FAE bomb's by the dozens. It'll be real hard to breath stuck in a cave with no O2.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#24]
i want one...
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
So.... do you need a tax stamp to get one or what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top