Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 2:08:24 PM EDT
.....well, at least it seems that way.  I live in Plano, TX and can't help but notice the masses of cars in the Dallas and outlying suburban areas with Marine stickers showing the globe and anchor.  

Also I've worked with about 6 ex-marines but few of any other branch (just 1 navy and 1 airforce).

Theres seems to be a ton of ex-marines who post here too, as I'm always seeing the Semper Fi at the bottom of the posts.      

The Marines are supposed to be the smallest branch of the armed forces?, so is it just a coincidence that I've worked with so many and seen so many representing themselves with stickers, shirts, etc?   Are they just more paraphernalia intensive or what?  

Just curious...

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Are they just more paraphernalia intensive or what?
View Quote

Not being a Marine but having 'worked' intimately with them while serving in the Navy I'll say this.  They are proud.  Justifiably so.  That and the fact that they usually don't have a problem telling anyone what they think which is why you hear so much from them here.  An endearing quality if you ask me.  They belong to one of the TRUE brotherhoods in this country.  

I remember being ambushed in an alley in Groton after an incident in a bar.  While busily allowing myself to be beaten to a pulp I heard a different commotion and, eventually, realized it was a group of 3 Marines cleaning that alley with the 4 townies that had been dancing with me.  I was in my blues and wondered aloud why Marines would help out a sailor.  It's then that I recognized a corporal that I'd had a good go round with a few weeks before.  I had gotten the better of him (VERY rare) and he told me "hell, squid, you kicked my ass.  I wasn't about to let those sisters kick yours before I got another chance at it".  

He ended up as my best man and, to this day, is the absolute best friend I've ever had or ever will have.  

CB
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Me was/is in the Navy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I was at the Air Force office today and the Marines are right down the hall.

Let me tell you,if you see a  Marine you will know it!
They look dumb but they are not and will F*CK!!!! you up.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Me was/is in the Navy.
View Quote

Oh, c'mon, LT.  Supply isn't the Navy!  You guys are just the 'associates' at Walmart. [:P]

CB
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me was/is in the Navy.
View Quote

Oh, c'mon, LT.  Supply isn't the Navy!  You guys are just the 'associates' at Walmart. [:P]

CB
View Quote

Hey now, I'm aviation supply. Totally different. We're more upscale, kinda like Mervyns HEHEHE
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Navy here.  I did nothing important while I was in, but I got to see 28 different countries in 4 years... where the heck else can you do that AND get paid?!?  Kinda miss it sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I was air force and proud to have served.  I have a few Marine friends and I think the difference is once you get out of the marines They are so Proud of their service to our country they always let you know they are marines.  I can appreciate their pride and their dedication to the Corps I am glad we have them. I worked with a marine from WW2 when I was 17 I made the mistake of calling him an Ex-marine he explained the once a marine always a marine principle and that he is a former marine not an ex, at his 70+ years I think he was ready to throw down with me over the comment.  I still went into the air force.
john  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Marines are supposed to be the smallest branch of the armed forces

View Quote

U.S. Coast Guard is manned at around 35 thousand total on active duty.  That's less than half the size of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

I am currently stationed aboard a ship with a crew of 75, and we have 7 prior Marines that are now in the Guard.  I don't know what the deal is, maybe they like all the benefits and 1/3 the bull shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
"Is almost everybody a Marine?..........."

no...but, once upon a time, there was a usn seal that posted on this board...
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking as a Former Marine, this is my take on it. Marines are more outgoing about their time served and usually talk about it more, most persons serving in other branches, (unles they were career) don't talk about it until asked or until the Marines start talking first.

No_Expert

Corporal, USMC,
Ground Radio Repairman
86-90 and Desert $#!+
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Army, Infantry, 101st Air Assault.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no...but, once upon a time, there was a usn seal that posted on this board...
View Quote

Hey I was stationed(TAD) on their base for a few months. I ran PT with them once too. I even got to wear the ole khaki shorts/blue t-shirt uniform when I ran PT with them(no emblem though [:(] ) Does that count?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
A bit of unsolicited advice:

Never ask a man if he was a Marine. [(:)]

If he was, he'll tell you. [8D]

If he wasn't, you'll only embarrass him! [;D]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

OOH-Rah, Jarhead! Well said, and Semper Fi.

---------

SliPkNoT-

In my own observations, I think the source of the "Once and always" theme is that, as an Honorably Discharged Marine, you never really feel like you're out. Sure, you get grow hair, stop running PT, and not show up for muster, but it's still always there, in the back of your mind. And I've been out for 15 years. Pride is forever, I guess...

Best of luck,
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second that!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Not everyone can be, the yellow footprints scare some folks.
(During the following thirteen weeks I sometimes wished I was one of them ;-)

MCRD San Diego--making Marines in the city.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Coast Guard myself, stationed with a couple of ex-Marines, and one ex-Air Force.

Jamie
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope, was US Army. 31R(commo) so what....

A Co. 24th ID, 172 infantry battalion

Knew a couple of Gunnys when I was in housing though, what was the marine tradition when crossing the date line ? Nothing but respect...

[beer]

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Jarhead_22,

Keep on posting those good replies, bro!!! I was getting kinda sleepy before reading this, but you and Claybuster have got me rollin'!!!

As for those yellow footprints.....Who can remember those damn airliners flying out every 5 minutes and just wishing you could jump in there and grab a seat home. I sure would like to get together with a few fellow Devil Dogs on the 10th, if any of you live in East Texas, then shoot me an email.

Every Marine a Rifleman,

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm gonna be at the same place I was last year, the U of M football game at the golf course. Last time it was the penn game, hooked up with some former Marines from there to have some drinks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you know you can date a Marine by what he calls the Corps after a few drinks?
(within 20ish years)
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#23]
give some examples happy shooter
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
up to mid 60s---green wiennie
mid 60s to 70s---the crotch
80s to early 90s---the suck
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I was Army, 19K with the 3ID in Germany back when there were two of them.
Loved driving that M1 around. The ultimate SUV.
When I got out they stuck me in a grunt reserve unit. That's how I got the 11B.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Silly me--I thought "everybody" was a Navy SEAL.  [rolleyes]

Comment made as a result of many, many visits to gunshows over the years and meeting an inordinate number of "ex-SEAL's" who did not look/seem the part.  Years ago it was "Rangers" who all the wannabe's claimed to be, now it's SEAL's.  Go figure.  

As an aside, my stepson just graduated Marine Basic last Friday.  I could not attend but my wife was very impressed with the whole affair in San Diego.  The scrawny runt just doesn't strike me as a warrior.  I hope they did some kind of magic on him.  I can't wait to see him.  My wife said he's a little thinner and he was only about 140# and 5'-9" before!  Hopefully he at least has lost the "cool slouch" and has his pants covering his ass now.  LOL  
View Quote

what kind of warrior were you? can't judge a book by its cover,,
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was Army, 19K with the 3ID in Germany back when there were two of them.
Loved driving that M1 around. The ultimate SUV.
When I got out they stuck me in a grunt reserve unit. That's how I got the 11B.
View Quote

3ID here too, 4/84-10/85, Kitzigen, 2 Reforgers......

Now if they had 3ID patches for sale everywhere........

3ID kickin' ass in every war the US has been in since the Civil War
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#28]
U.S. Navy.  Surface Warfare Officer.  But, since I was in the "Gator Navy" and I consequently spent a lot of time with the Marines, there is some connection.  My father started out in the Navy and then transferred to the Air Force.  His experience with Marines was bar fights during the Korean War.  I didn't have a high opinion of the USMC until I actually spent some time with them.  Specifically, 3rd Recon Battalion.  I came to the conclusion that if my butt was in a sling and I needed some help, the Marines were the ones I hoped would come over the hill.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#30]
weekend warrior 7yr 2/117 FA  
               1yr 1/152 MI
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
former ... vmaq-2, vmaq-4, drill feild mcrd p.i.. '77 to '86...pat
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Sight alignment, sight picture...breathe, relax, aim, squeeeeeeze.  '87-'93 PMI Desert Storm vet-ground campaign-Locked and cocked oooorrrrahhh!!

[marines]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I have worked with a few but never been , or wanted to be a Marine, (not dumb enough I guess[evil grin]) US ARMY Infantry all the way. Heavy Infantry no less, we get the light boys out of trouble. We do the job they get the glory.

SFC(ret)Rew E. Williams
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#35]
........but then God noticed that He Himself did not own a Marine uniform.  So, He though about it, and thought about it, and then concluded, that, well, not everybody could be a United States Marine.

Considering that "Every Marine is a Rifleman", and that a substantial majority of living Marines were trained in the proper use of the M-16 weapon system, and the name of this place just happens to be AR15.com, it seems to me this is one of the best places to find an abundance of "The Worlds Finest".

I don't have any motivating stickers on my vehicles.  But I have got to keep my hair short or it drives me insane.  Sir/Ma'am are a natural part of the vocabulary.  Yes I do like to stir the muck of inter service rivalry, BUT I have no doubt that the US Army is the finest army in the world, the US Navy is the finest navy in the world, and the US Air Force is the finest air force in the world.  However, the United States Marine Corps is the finest fighting force the world has ever seen.  

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#36]
DPreacher,

Amen.

Happy Birthday Marines!
Semper Fi!
1985-1993 3rd BN 6th Marines, USMC Service Rifle Team.

[marines]
(still)Sgt. Lew Tippie
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I was in the "suck" LOL I hadn't heard that in years LOL LOL LOL

We used to go around and yell "FTS" much like the use of "FUBAR"

(FTS stands for" F*** the Suck.)

89-93 CSSD11 in SWA
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As for those yellow footprints.....Who can remember those damn airliners flying out every 5 minutes and just wishing you could jump in there and grab a seat home.
View Quote

Oh man I remember that feeling well, even though it was almost 20 years ago for me. Or wishing I had joined the navy seeing the navy recruits take it easy on the other side of the bay. Most of all I remember the pride I had on graduation day when I stood as guide in front of my platoon.

Semper Fi to my fellow war-dogs
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh man I remember that feeling well, even though it was almost 20 years ago for me. Or wishing I had joined the navy seeing the navy recruits take it easy on the other side of the bay. Most of all I remember the pride I had on graduation day when I stood as guide in front of my platoon.
Semper Fi to my fellow war-dogs
View Quote

Dude - I was on the other side of that fence smoking a cig - saying to myself and fellow squids - jeez, I'm glad I didn't sign up for that sh!t[;)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#40]
The Second Armored Cavalry Regiment in Germany,,,A very long time ago..

http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/2ACR/index.html

Toujours Pret

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#41]
United States Navy, Assault Craft Unit Five (ACU-5) the Swift Intruders, No beach out of reach, no bar too far. [:)>]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did you know you can date a Marine by what he calls the Corps after a few drinks?
(within 20ish years)
View Quote

up to mid 60s---green wiennie
mid 60s to 70s---the crotch
80s to early 90s---the suck
View Quote

But you missed the best yet:

[green][size=6]The Great Green Gun Club![/size=6] [/green]

and Happy shooter, just why are you trying to date Marines? [;D]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Cause I was drinking, like I am now, and after posting about the yellow footprints I was thinking about my friend, who was in in the early 70s, and how he calls it the crotch when we are drunk, and how an older guy at the firm uses the old term...
and I shared how to date a Marine's service.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cause I was drinking, ...
View Quote

I wasn't supposed to ask , was I? j/k
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Two new associates just got sworn into the bar today at the firm.
I kicked off the Birthday weekend with Gray Goose at the downtown club for their party.
They pour a mean drink there, unlike some pohang joints we all could name (by location at least, since they seemed to change names every so often)
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#46]
That reminds me, I was talking with a guy who just got out, and he said that marylin a gogo and calugia in payatta had both changed names and themes (same 'floor' shows though)

Happyshooter, DASC Crew Chief
Cpl, 7242, USMC
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#47]
short answer, no. almost everybody can't make it in the marine corps. (chesty loves me now) uh-rah.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#48]
yutt !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top