Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2001 11:12:13 AM EDT
Do any of you use NEXTEL?  I'm thinking of proposing it to my manager for us.  Also, anyone use the i1000plus or i2000plus phones?

Thanks,
Chimborazo
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup I love Nextel great customer service and the walkie talkie feature is awsome.

"This is blue leader.  Whats your location Viper?"

You can never have to much fun with those things.

I like the 1000 pluses personally very nice.

R4M
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, office has them, and we like them.
Ice
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if the i2000plus has a holster?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been carrying a Motorola i1000 Plus using Nextel for a year and a half.  It's a great phone and excellent service.

We tried switching to a PCS system with Nokia "Barbie" phones to save money.  Coverage was so poor they gave us our Nextels back a week later.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/nextel-accessories_1660_3156362[/img]

You mean one of these?

I got it from here: [url]http://www.iwirelessaccessories.com/[/url]

Ice
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]
We currently have 2-way pagers and the cell phone of our choice.  I want to sell them on getting us NEXTEL phones and have our paging done through the phone.  We receive a lot of pages throughout the day that are system generated.  It's a pain to keep up with two devices after hours...always have to have them both close by.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
ICE,

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I talked our School Board into buying the i1000 plus Nextels for the Admin staff. Great little phone. Walkie-talkie feature is used the most, and they like being able to use the internet on their phones.

I can't imagine working without the Nextel now.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
No problem, bro.

They are really usefull, but I like the flip phones better cause they protect the keypad so you don't accidently call 911 [:D]

Take care,
Ice
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
We use nextel at my place of employment. I have the i1000 and now ordered the new i90. The features are great and no extra charge for long distance because they use their own towers. 10-4 good-buddy..
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Just about everyone who is remotely important (remotely.. ie: me) here at CNN has a nextel.  All I see carried are the i1000 plus model.  They get pretty good reception for normal calls, and in a business environment like this one, the direct connect (walkie-talkie) feature saves all kinds of money.

Now the downside.. When trying to have any sort of real conversation, the direct connect will be a pain in the ass, always seeming to crap out the worst times.  "OK... What I need you to do, is *(&#)(*@#... got that?"

Also, I hear they put out the legal max as far as radiation or whatever is concerned.  All I know is, I know when my phone is about to ring, because any speakers that are in the same room with the phone start clicking like crazy.  [:O]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, I hear they put out the legal max as far as radiation or whatever is concerned. All I know is, I know when my phone is about to ring, because any speakers that are in the same room with the phone start clicking like crazy.
View Quote

Hmm, this could be a problem...anybody use these near computer equipment (servers)?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The speaker clicking is annoying as hell, but I have never noticed a problem with any of our servers. I use the phone and walkie-talkie in server rooms with no problems (at least when I can get a signal). The biggest problem will be getting a signal. I don't know where your server rooms are, but ours are as close to the center of the building as possible.

Reception sucks ass... I usually get the red light on top of my phone. I have to wander into a classroom and stand by windows, or head to an entrance where the phone can get a signal.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't worry about servers.  Our datacenters wouldn't be the same without nextel! [:)]

"(b-beep) Let me get this straight.. You want me to turn this production server OFF and back ON again?  (beep)"
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto on all of the above good comments.  We sue NEXTEL with Motorola i1000[i]plus[/].

Walkie talkie feature is used most..very convenient..in some cases has over 200 mile range on the walkie talkie....free cell long distance calls is great too.
[beer]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the first time we tryed them they sucked was about 4 years ago they kept pushin us about how they improved they gave us 3 demos free of charge to try out for a week what an improvement now we've had them for a little over a year great coverage.Still not as good as my at&t but close.i work in construction and travel all over so cal.They are good for bus definitely
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I used one for 2years at my last job. They are worth getting because they will save alot of time and money. But the reception does suck sometimes at least here where I am, the towers were overloaded because alot of the time you will loose your connection even though you have full strength. It sucks in the middle of a convo when the damn thing beeps because you lost the connection. The cell calls are poor quality but does work and is cheap. Same deal with the connection applies except you get a all systems busy or something. This is probably only in certain areas. With all the public sporting these you are tied into the same towers so off peak times they will have no connection problems. I maintained the i1000 plus as a radio only for the last year and kept my Sprint for cellphone. As long as you have the expectation of dropping calls once in a while its really worth using for a business. Im sure you can get a nextel rep to give you a few trial phones to use for a week or so if you are going to be setting up a business account with them. We did that but ours was a very big contract.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Chimborazo, what part of Va?  We use the 1000s, and have no problem in SW Va at all.  Southside seems to get rather fuzzy (S. Boston, Martinsville, Danville, Rocky Mount) But towards B'Burg, all the way to Wytheville, Marion and Bristol, it works great.  My paticular company has 18 of them, and only one casuality so far (Dropped out of a jeep at 30mph)  One note on other electronic equip:  When around anything electronic (Radios, computers, anything with a speaker) it will make a loud popping/cracking noise when either a signal is being received or transmitted.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me!

The Whistlepig  [USA]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Nextel is a great!  Great products, great service.  My work place distributes the nextel phones for technicians(PC/Server, telecommunications).  I haven't heard a complaint yet.

I've heard they treat they're employees well too.  But some stocks if you can afford them.  

I will be getting a nextel phone as soon as my POS MCI Worldcom plan expires.

BTW, this is a shameless plug for Nextel, but my wife works for them.  ;-)
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
We have over a hundred of them, I still have a pager, but don't get as much pages now. A lot faster responses, no way the media can easedrop on our communication. They are going to start linking the two way feature to cluster of states-then nationwide.  Amos
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#21]
We have Nextel at work. I hate it. Never good news. Always someone bitching on the other end. It works too well. By the way, they are not immersible, and they can't take being thrown very well. I'm on my 3rd one. The walkie talkie feature kinda sucks, because you can't interrupt someone else's speaking to tell them to shut up, you have to wait until they let go of the button. I'd rather not have 'em. Oh, and the speaker feature gets misused also, as people think they can talk into while it's 6 feet away from them. Lots of "What did you just say?" Very annoying. S*%&heads.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Nextels work pretty well. Our organization issues them to everyone.

Pro's:
-Direct connect works great.
-Direct connect is extremely covenient and is a good way to get around long distance. I showed up at a rifle school and the check hadn't showed up. I buzzed our training guy on the Nextel and handed the phone to the instructor. Problem solved in 20 seconds.

Cons:
-Reception is spotty to non-existent when you get into big or heavy buildings.
-RF interference. Speaker noise on PCs is all I have noted for computers, but in my experience, it also jams video and radar, so it is putting out some noise.
-Direct connect can be annoying (the boss can always get you).
-Long distance charges can be expensive, and so can extra minutes if you go over your authorized plan minutes for the group. If you do get them, make sure everyone knows how to use the features on the phone to track their time for billing.

All in all, I like them and would be saddened if the next low bid was for normal cell phones.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I used Nextel for about two years until they tried some sneaky shit on my bill.  The customer service rep I spoke with was a real POS!

The phone was cool when it did get reception.

I think their customer service sucks ass!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm in Richmond, VA.  I think we're going to get some demo units in so we can try them out.  I hope they work for us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top