Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the off-duty cops we hire as security for our church carry, I don't see this as a problem.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Loonybin,
Under that moronic logic, the safety of my family and other parishoners would be less important than the intentions of an armed murderer.  Dying inside of a church building and offering no resistance does not make you a martyr-it makes you a coward!  
View Quote

Hardly.  Christ Himself offered no resistance and didn't want Peter to resist for Him.  Many Christians of the early Church did not resist because they knew it was guaranteed entrance to heaven.  They were not cowards.  They knew their reward was greater than anything they could achieve in this life.  What is more important... staying alive at any cost, or getting to heaven?  For the Catholic, [b]getting to heaven is more imporant than anything else.[/b]

That being said, just because God calls you to be a martyr (if He does) doesn't mean that he's calling they guy next to you to martyrdom.  If our state had CCW, then I, too, would carry to Mass.  If God calls me to be a martyr, then I'll end up being a martyr, even as I'm defending my family & others at Mass.  If it's legal to carry at Mass, then by all means do so.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Did it ever occur to you that you could get to Heaven for saving the lives of your fellow parishioners?  If my choice is to go straight to Heaven for becoming a martyr or going to Heaven after living a full and enjoyable life on Earth, I will choose the second option.  I know that getting to Heaven is important, but I have a commitment to my family before I volunteer to become a martyr. I'm going to start up a poll here...
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's to Kimberly Jones. [:(]
View Quote

Sorry to hear that, Brouhaha.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hardly.  Christ Himself offered no resistance and didn't want Peter to resist for Him.
View Quote

But Christ was here fulfilling the promise that the Son of God would die for our sins. I've got no prophecy to fulfill, just a family to protect.

Many Christians of the early Church did not resist because they knew it was guaranteed entrance to heaven.  They were not cowards.  They knew their reward was greater than anything they could achieve in this life.  What is more important... staying alive at any cost, or getting to heaven?  For the Catholic, [b]getting to heaven is more imporant than anything else.[/b]
View Quote

I'm sorry, for me protecting my family is the most important thing. I could not be happy in heaven if I died knowing I [b]might[/b] have been able to do something, but instead went like a sheep to the slaughter and watched a bad guy hurt my family. That's not gonna happen.

That being said, just because God calls you to be a martyr (if He does) doesn't mean that he's calling they guy next to you to martyrdom.  If our state had CCW, then I, too, would carry to Mass.  If God calls me to be a martyr, then I'll end up being a martyr, even as I'm defending my family & others at Mass.  If it's legal to carry at Mass, then by all means do so.
View Quote

Now you're [b]starting[/b] to make sense. If I'm going to be a martyr, St. Peter is going to have to peel my fingers from the throat of the guy who killed me, and unclamp my cold, dead hand from the empty 1911 I was crushing his skull with.

Whose example will you follow should your time come, the Jews who meekly boarded the boxcars to Treblinka, or the ones in Warsaw who died with cordite in their nostrils and dead Waffen SS at their feet?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I carried my P89 on my thigh when I rode my BMW to church.  I was not going to leave it on the bike so once or twice I carried open.  No problem.  On any given church day I would estimate 10-20 men CCW and many women.  I have carried every day since I got home from college seven years ago.  By the way, a martyr is one who dies for his faith, not just someone who is killed for any other reason.  Dieing in church doesn't make you a martyr necessarily.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Rifles4me

I don't belive that in Christ's time they would allow you to take your trusty war sword into the temple, do you?

Maybe not, BUT the Temples had guards know as
duh  Temple Guards

[:D]

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Heck yeah I would carry in church, regardless of any "law" that prohibited it. I don't recognize the validity of that law or any CCW law. I'm going to carry w/o one. I would do it now, but the stupid gov't says you have to be 21 to buy a handgun!!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did it ever occur to you that you could get to Heaven for saving the lives of your fellow parishioners?  If my choice is to go straight to Heaven for becoming a martyr or going to Heaven after living a full and enjoyable life on Earth, I will choose the second option.  I know that getting to Heaven is important, but I have a commitment to my family before I volunteer to become a martyr. I'm going to start up a poll here...
View Quote

You assume that God gives you that choice.  If it's your time to depart this world, then you will no matter what you do.  I carry anyway, but one cannot go against the will of God, as Free Will does not override God's Will.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The Pastor of the church I go to actually encourages lawful concealed carry. My wife and the Pastor's daughter are both LEOs and they carry each Sunday at two services.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever man.  Carry in church.  Of all places.  Carry in church.  What the hell is the argument of morality???  It's just a building.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I am an Episcopalian who carries at every service. The church has some who are anti gun but if they EVER tell me I can't legally carry in Church, I and my money will go elsewhere. When you start talking money, professional clergy starts paying attention.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
not sure if anyone said this, BUT...
i do believe it is illegal to carry in church while people are in service in Virginia...

but really, when else would you?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
MDS,
I'm lds too but wasn't aware of any letter sent out by the church leadership.  Granted my wife just had a baby and I've been occassionally  out of town on business on weekends but I wasn't aware of any letter.  Where did you hear that?

BTW,  I carry EVERY week to church just because I can.  hehehe.  Plus we've already had two assaults in church that I'm aware of so I carry.  Nor will I stop if there is a letter saying too.  

crash.

Quoted:
I carry everywhere where legal. Except church!
I did until the "brethren" sent out a letter saying not to. So I carry only half of the time now.
I feel that that is one of the places that would get hit first. It's already happened before.
Bad guys feed on the defenseless.

(LDS)
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Jesus laid down His life that we (those that call on His name) may have life, and that more abundant. Our enemy comes to kill, steal, and destroy. I value the sacrifice that God offered and will protect my life and my families wheresoever I and they may be. As well as my brothers, I am my brothers keeper. Second off Jesus wasn't religious, he was the sacrifice for our sins. He had compassion on the crowds around him. The church is His body of believers here, not some empty building made with human hands. He was criticized for healing on the Sabbath, not lauded for having compassion on the man he healed. One of those in His line of decendency, David was very warlike. In the Old Testament many times the people of God were called to war. Especially after atrocities. Judges 19, a crowd ravishes a mans wife until she dies. 400,000 men showed up to deal with this situation Judges 20 verse 2. This was a civil war even, where one tribe wouldn't hand over wrongdoers. God told them to keep after it . I think we can all remember Samson and his dealing with the enemies of God's people. I value this life and others lives also. I choose to protect my house and those around me. Maybe not proper by todays church authorities, but required by my concience.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loonybin,
Under that moronic logic, the safety of my family and other parishoners would be less important than the intentions of an armed murderer.  Dying inside of a church building and offering no resistance does not make you a martyr-it makes you a coward!  
View Quote

Hardly.  Christ Himself offered no resistance and didn't want Peter to resist for Him.  Many Christians of the early Church did not resist because they knew it was guaranteed entrance to heaven.  They were not cowards.  They knew their reward was greater than anything they could achieve in this life.  What is more important... staying alive at any cost, or getting to heaven?  For the Catholic, [b]getting to heaven is more imporant than anything else.[/b]

View Quote

This comes to mind Luke 22:36, and then in Matthew 26:51-52..I had/have a difficult time with this issue,but I am very clear on my view..which of course is MY view...BTW I thought I heard someone "rack one" once in the back of church.This led me to start thinking about the possibility of some wacko coming in the rear and opening up on us...I DO know for a fact that some of the older ladies DO pack and are quite good shots...Moral of the story kids...PACK WHEN YOU CAN!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a radical member of the Mormon Jihad...beware. muahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know. I don't agree with it at all. I'd think that they would know what can happen to defenseless people.
Yep. It's their policy.
Not a good one by my way of thinking.
View Quote

Be sure to tell me when it's your turn to speak in sacrament meeting so I can arm everybody.
muhahahahaahahaaha
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
MDS,
I'm lds too but wasn't aware of any letter sent out by the church leadership.  Granted my wife just had a baby and I've been occassionally  out of town on business on weekends but I wasn't aware of any letter.  Where did you hear that?

BTW,  I carry EVERY week to church just because I can.  hehehe.  Plus we've already had two assaults in church that I'm aware of so I carry.  Nor will I stop if there is a letter saying too.  

crash.

Quoted:
I carry everywhere where legal. Except church!
I did until the "brethren" sent out a letter saying not to. So I carry only half of the time now.
I feel that that is one of the places that would get hit first. It's already happened before.
Bad guys feed on the defenseless.

(LDS)
View Quote
View Quote

'Where's your ward at? 3rd East and 9th South.
What are you guys preaching? LOL
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Church goers deserve protection too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top