Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2001 7:40:39 PM EDT
Let us say the now missing news reports of 20Kg of plutonium being smuggled in ARE true and the idiots put it together, deliver and detonate it inside the beltway.

What would be the effects?  Not toll in DC, that is rather obvious!  Would WWIII ensue, life go on here like it does?  Your opinions please.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Washington state, or Washington District of Criminals?

If D.C. got nuked, half the people on this board would be out in the streets rejoicing (as long as Congress was in session at the time).

If the state got nuked, I'd have to quit posting. [:D]

It isn't likely that they could fabricate a nuclear weapon, but it's entirely possible that they could spread radioactive dust/fragments/crap all over an area.  I'd guess the gloves would come off then and we'd shoot most of the lawyers in the U.S. to prevent them from interfering with the war effort.  Also, anti-war protestors would have to have armed protection. . . .
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Life would not go on.  It is impossible to predict the results of some greasy sand monkey popping a nuke in DC. The USA would be fuming with anger and shaking with fear.

If something lesser happened, and the gov was still in proper capacity, Afganistan would go *poof*.

Afgaistan: Preheat atmosphere to 36000 degrees, cook for approx. .3 milliseconds.

radioman
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If terrorist were able to detonate a suitcase bomb in DC, I'd suspect that the gloves would come off (finally).  

If the president survived the attack (out of town) or if the VP were to be sworn in, I would EXPECT either one of them to nuke the hell out of Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc (basically anyone who harbors or supports terrorism).

What other response could there be?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:02:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no doubt what the PROPER response would be or against whom.  I DO question if the politicos would do it.  But then, if THEY were the target / victims I am sure action would be taken.  I suspect Cheney would respond strongly!!

What really interests me is how population would respond other than the horror.  Would this so disrupt our society as to plunge us into chaos?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
i htink a dirty detonation on the west coast would be more damaging...lots more land to contaminiate as the fallout drifted east.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
If a nuke of any size, even a 1KT "Suitcase Nuke", were to detonate in or near NYC, DC or any other major US city, The United States would go into an economic depression WORSE than "The Depression".  There would possibly be famine.  The world's economy would follow suit. It would take decades to come out of.  

Meanwhile, the world would be introduced to American wrath.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
If there were a serious, city-crippling strike (chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear) against Washington, DC, then I'd expect to see the sort of reactions we saw on 9/11 multiplied by a factor of about 10.

1) People on this board would be posting wild rumors: "Chinese marines landing in San Diego!" "Mustard gas bombs in Chicago!" "Elvis lives!"

2) Dick Cheney would emerge from his bunker and declare martial law.

3) Fans of Nostradamus and/or the Bible would be explaining how their favorite prophet predicted every detail.

4) Most Americans would go into SHTF mode.  For a few this would mean bugging out to a planned retreat.  Others would go home and stare at the TV or go fight with their neighbors over gas and groceries.

5) Crowds from Morocco to Indonesia would be dancing in the street and thanking Allah for their great victory.

6) There would be intense public frustration over our inability to tell exactly who was responsible for the attack.

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
KPEL308, How is Plutonium the most active poison on the face of the planet?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#10]
WEll if it were to happen...  I'd say "all bets are off..."
All machineguns are now legal!!!!  All conversions, all SBRs, everything!!!!!!!

But it wouldn't realy matter because we'd be too buisy watching the weather reports to see where the fallout will be going (well I will be anyway)

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#11]
If DC gets nuked I will be dead.  I live just outside of DC and if the blast didn't get me the fallout would.  I have a wife and two very nice dogs.  If DC gets nuked I expect every member of this board to avenge my death--and I want a lot more than "an eye for an eye".

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top