Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/1/2001 6:03:55 PM EDT
In the first days after the attack Bush did an excellent job handling the situation. But now in my opinion he and his administration are doing a piss poor job. Can Bush say anything else beside, "we will get the evil doers"? That is what he says whenever he is on camera. The first 10 times I heard it, it was ok but now it's stale. WTF is going on with the CDC and Human Safety Services? I just saw that the Governor of NJ is demanding that a post office be tested for Anthrax. WTF is this? Doesn't the Bush administration realize by now that the Anthrax attacks are coming through the mail and that they need to be pro-active to determine how wide spread it is so they can contain it. It makes me sick to my stomach to see our government not taking any action until someone comes downs with a life threatening form of Anthrax. Every postal facility in the US needs to be tested immediately so we know how wide spread this is. Two days ago the government said they were stumped on how the lady in New York got Anthrax. Now the government is shocked to see Anthrax show up in Kasas. WTF are they thinking, that someone buys weapons grade Anthrax and then only sends out 3 letters. WTF is the military going down the exact same path that the Soviets did when they were in Afganistan. Does the US posses some sort of magical power that will scare the Taliban into running away. Obviously not. From this administration I have seen and still see, a lack of planning, a lack of action, and a lack of preventive measures. Not to mention the fact that both the House and Senate have been running around like unsupervised kids strung out on candy, because Bush hasn't had the time to supervise them. Everything they have been doing is 100% politic and an attempt to either pay back large doners, by the Republicans, or establish 30,000 more federal union workers, by the Democrats. Bush needs to step in and slap both the House and Senate and both the Democrats and Republicans for the way they are acting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:08:35 PM EDT
... you got a better idea?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2001 6:04:18 PM EDT by paterpk]
Swire; I do agree with you on your assessment of the house and senate but with the rest of your statement I can not. If we were to become more proactive we would become a police state,which we are on the verge of now. If we go around testing every building in the U.S. we will show a major fear in something a terrorist has caused. This anthrax is said to be only as dangerous as the flu. Only the media is panicking ... dont join them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:26:37 PM EDT
15% of the people are against everything, all the time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:28:51 PM EDT
There is not alot more he can say,if we know what is going on so do the cowards.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:31:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:39:33 PM EDT
... besides, I believe that there are feverish efforts by the appropriate sources lookin to battle anthrax. Look here for one: [url]http://www.ascb.org/newsroom/anthrax.html[/url] Go [size=3][blue][b]DIAMONDBACKS[/size=3][/blue][/b] !!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:45:09 PM EDT
“Rome was not build in a day” Give me a break, how fast do you want this to happen. The military needs time to build up forces and to have a plan to attack with as few as possible casualties on our side. War does not move as fast as a video games or movies. [marines]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 6:55:23 PM EDT
Every postal facility in the US needs to be tested immediately so we know how wide spread this is.
View Quote
There are a LOT of postal facilities in the US and relatively few people with the training and equipment to test them. Bush can't just snap his fingers and have an army of magic elves do the testing.
Doesn't the Bush administration realize by now that the Anthrax attacks are coming through the mail and that they need to be pro-active to determine how wide spread it is so they can contain it.
View Quote
How would you "contain" the attacks? Quarantine the contaminated postal facilities and then cancel all mail service until the war is over?
WTF is the military going down the exact same path that the Soviets did when they were in Afganistan.
View Quote
How is it "the exact same path"? The Soviets started their war by using airborne forces to seize key objectives, then moving armored and mechanized infantry divisions into Afghanistan. Have we done that yet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:05:37 PM EDT
The military action is the least of my concerns, as Rumsfield seems to have a pretty good handle on it. What pisses me off is the government not taking any action on Anthrax until someone becomes sick or dies. With this approach the US will always be playing catch up with whoever is doing this, instead of putting a stop to it. Since Anthrax isn't contagious, they have been able to get away with it. But what if a contagious agent shows up and the government is still in the wait and see where the problem is and then act mode? Also, I've heard government officals using the excuse that all the Anthrax hoaxes have slowed down their response and are making it difficult to manage. My thoughts are, what if these were real attacks instead of hoaxes. It's not that hard to mail out a ton of letters. If the hoaxes would have been the result of a large scale Anthrax mailing, all the local, state, and federal agencies would have had a huge disaster on their hands because even though they are supposed to be trained to handle such things, they aren't. What if the Anthrax is just a test to see what the US will do to respond. The first rule of war, is know your enemy. Now that they know our weaknesses in response, they could getting ready for something worse. But since the government is still playing catch up, they will be caught flat footed again if someone does happen. As far as scaring people by testing every post office. I think more people are scared by not knowing, especially with the most recent cases. If the government came out and said they were checking all postal facilities as a safety precaution, I think the public would be relived not scared.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:12:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Renamed:
Every postal facility in the US needs to be tested immediately so we know how wide spread this is.
View Quote
There are a LOT of postal facilities in the US and relatively few people with the training and equipment to test them. Bush can't just snap his fingers and have an army of magic elves do the testing.
View Quote
There are local, state, and federal agencies that could do this relatively easily, as we have already seen with the response to Anthrax hoaxes.
Doesn't the Bush administration realize by now that the Anthrax attacks are coming through the mail and that they need to be pro-active to determine how wide spread it is so they can contain it.
View Quote
How would you "contain" the attacks? Quarantine the contaminated postal facilities and then cancel all mail service until the war is over?
View Quote
The same way they contained it in the Senate building and the same way they are containing it in the affected post offices. So you don't have any problem with your mail being run through machines that have Anthrax over them? Let's just ignore it, maybe it will just go away, right?
WTF is the military going down the exact same path that the Soviets did when they were in Afganistan.
View Quote
How is it "the exact same path"? The Soviets started their war by using airborne forces to seize key objectives, then moving armored and mechanized infantry divisions into Afghanistan. Have we done that yet?
View Quote
No we haven't done it yet, because our forces came under too much fire to get dropped off. But they tried to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:18:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: ... you got a better idea?
View Quote
The Ohio class subs can finish the job.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:31:04 PM EDT
I believe the Ohio class sub could stabilize the anthrax-infected areas. The only problem is the other biological organisms would suffer. [peep] Like me
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:33:01 PM EDT
Swire, you're such a media zombie. Ever bother to think for yourself? In the beginning, you thought Bush was doing a great job. Just like the media wanted you to think with all the 90% approval polls. No one in the media dared to criticize Bush, only college professors and diehard leftists. Now as the domestic media is moving to undermine the government's war effort (something they always do in these events) you are toeing their line and adopting their criticisms, almost fucking verbatim. The useless harping of the media is going to gain momentum from here on out. Bush is right to cut these bastards off of as much information as possible. It may sound naive, but I trust Bush to really make our enemies pay. Not bring JUST the individual terrorists involved, not to bring OBL to court like the dumbass Liberals think we should; but to kill the t's, their supporters, and scare anyone thinking about hurting us straight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:41:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SWIRE: There are local, state, and federal agencies that could do this relatively easily, as we have already seen with the response to Anthrax hoaxes.
View Quote
The problem is that while just about anyone with two brain cells can take a sample, there are few facilities that can actually test for antrhax spores. Most of the facilities that have been tested have sent samples to real labs to get a confirmed case.
The same way they contained it in the Senate building and the same way they are containing it in the affected post offices. So you don't have any problem with your mail being run through machines that have Anthrax over them? Let's just ignore it, maybe it will just go away, right?
View Quote
Shutting down every post office in every town and city in the US would devestate the economy. At this point, until there is Antrhax all over the US, we won't see much of an effort to shut them all down. It may be too late when they do.
No we haven't done it yet, because our forces came under too much fire to get dropped off. But they tried to.
View Quote
Where are your sources? If we wanted ground forces in Afghanistan then they'd be there. Their existing anti-aircraft measures are a joke, and areas of the North are controlled by the United Front and easily accessible from Pakistan. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:59:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Swire, you're such a media zombie. Ever bother to think for yourself?
View Quote
The media isn't criticizing Bush, they wouldn't dare do it, yet. These are my own thoughts from looking at the situation. I sure wish the media would start asking some of these questions. I'm waiting for a reporter to stand up and ask why they haven't tested all the facilities with Anthrax showing up in the Midwest of all places as well as most government agencies. They are trying to ram through this Airline Security bill so they can all grand stand and claim to care about the safety of everyone. It's BS and the new law, even with federalized workers would not have prevented the Sept 11 hijackings. I get through metal detectors with my car keys all the time. A razor blade has less metal than my car keys, so razor blades can get right through the detectors.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2001 7:58:31 PM EDT by Renamed]
Originally Posted By SWIRE: There are local, state, and federal agencies that could do this relatively easily, as we have already seen with the response to Anthrax hoaxes.
View Quote
OK, let's suppose that governments all over America go ahead and shell out the bucks for this massive testing. Suppose they start tomorrow and finish on November 15th. Will that do [b]anything[/b] to stop the terrorists from mailing out more anthrax on November [b]16th[/b]?
View Quote
Frankly, I don't care if my mail runs through a machine that isn't 100% anthrax-free so long as the contamination is too limited to cause infection. If the machine has 900 spores on it and my letter picks up 34 of them, odds are very, very good that I'll be fine. Do you really want the government to obsess with the mail and ignore all the other possible means of distributing anthrax (or bubonic plague, nerve gas, brucellosis, et cetera)?
View Quote
View Quote
"They tried to"? I must have missed the news story about the 82nd Airborne division aborting its assault on Kabul. [rolleyes] If you have a better plan for dealing with bin Laden, please share it with us.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:03:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GodBlessTexas: Shutting down every post office in every town and city in the US would devestate the economy. At this point, until there is Antrhax all over the US, we won't see much of an effort to shut them all down. It may be too late when they do. God Bless Texas
View Quote
I've never said we should shut down all the postal facilities. I said we should test all of them so that we would know if Anthrax has already been spread all over the United States. It would also let us know if these Anthrax letters was a one time deal or if they are still being sent out. If a facility was tested and came back clean, but then 2 weeks later someone at that facility got Anthrax, then we would know that more letters are being sent. The fact that the lady in New York died from inhaled Anthrax and the government doesn't have a clue how she got it, shows that they don't have a clue about the Anthrax attacks and how wide spread they could be. So far they have just gotten lucky that more people haven't died.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:15:55 PM EDT
I am tried of people expecting immediate solutions to complex problems and media asking stupid questions or attempting to make news. Stopping the terrorist is going to take time and people, soldiers and civilians, are going to die. The lead story in Charleston today dealt with an anthrax SCARE not even anthrax, just some ass freaking out. Guess what I saw powder on the table at the restaurant today at lunch, it was sugar. We all remeber our teachers telling us there are no stupid questions. Well guess what... they lied. There are stupid questions and most of the people in the media seem to ask them. Example, how will you be supplying SF troops on the ground or what are the SF troops doing. What do they expect, we will be dropping additional equipment to a group a five guys that have been directing air attacks 45.2134434 km north of Kabal at 00230 beacuse they just ran ammo and food.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:29:45 PM EDT
The media keeps indicating that anthrax has been detected at these locations but they never indicate the concentration or if the amount detected is significant.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:08:16 AM EDT
I am laughing my ass off at governors of states like Maryland and New Jersey demanding that the Feds do something. Both these states have sky-high taxes. Why the hell don't they have the resources to do a little bio-warfare testing of their own??? What is all that loot being spend on? GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:50:22 PM EDT
Swire, Remember, just because YOU don't see the results YOU think should be taking place, doesn't mean that things are not being taken care of. I assure you, there is much more than you are aware of that is going on to protect this country. This includes the military and civil ends of the spectrum. SARguy
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:04:49 PM EDT
You have to assume (and I hope it's the case) that as far as the military, there's more going on behind the scenes than we are privy to. As far as the post office, they are a giantic organization, however the machines that come in contact with the mail are a known quantity and there is no reason they cannot run a few cotton swabs across those thousands of machines. This is the US -- doing things on a large scale is our forte. Remember D-Day?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/2/2001 3:28:37 PM EDT by BigZ]
I'm sick of all the people whining about how we should be fighting in Afghanistan. Many of you have developed a defeatist attitude in just a couple of weeks. Did you all expect the Afghans to just give up so quickly. Or maybe you thought they would be running for the hills at our mere presence. You make me laugh! Don't forget these Afghans defeated the Soviet Union in a [b]10 YEAR[/b} long war. So pardon me while I'm ROTFLMAO at all those who thought this fight should be over by now.
Top Top