Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 5:17:21 AM EDT
[url]www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/10/30/155121.shtml[/url]

Finally, some common sense.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope they don`t ask for my handgun permit when I try to buy b-b`s..........[argue]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's already law in Michigan that you need a pistol permit to purchase a BB gun.  You also need one to purchase a Black Powder firearm.

Daisy might have screwed themselves by settling the one case for $18 million.  It makes them look pretty guilty of something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, the settlement reflects the lack of defense attorney confidence in the common sense of most juries.  As mentioned in other articles pertaining to this case, one boy was "firing air" at another boy, when, inexplicably, a BB came out.  We all know, however, that the first rule of safety reagarding guns is not to point them at others.

Evidence in other articles indicates that this gun was pumped multiple times before the shooting.  It was pointed at another human being and intetionally discharged.  Yet, the lawyers for the injured boy want us to believe that a latent defect regarding the ammunition loading was at fault for this boy's injuries.  Get real.  It may have been a small contributing cause, but the injury could not have occured without a multitude of intentional, reckless acts on the bahalf of the operator of the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought B-B guns were considerd Destructive
devices? NFA items.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh, should I send in my Daisy I got when I was 16. Come on, the damned thing isn't defective. It worked exactly as it was supposed to. When the trigger was pulled it fired a BB. That is what it is supposed to do. The safety on Daisy's is just fine. It doesn't need a new one. For god's sake, follow the safety rules that come with the gun. DO NOT POINT THEM AT A HUMAN BEING. But, to require an FFL, the 1968 Description of a firearm would have to be changed to include BB Guns. If it was, every Fully-Automatic Air Gun, including Paintball would have to be registered under the NFA of 1934. So, I guess I better convert my Air Pistol to Full-Auto. before they do this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#6]
In addition .69 and .75 Caliber Paintball Guns would become Destructive Devices if they changed the definition. That would mean no one under 21 could own a Full-Auto. BB Gun or Paintball Gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Um, I also forgot to mention Short-Barreled BB and Paintball Guns. Hmm, That is one interesting Pandora's box. For god's sake don't open it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
How will this effect my nephew's 13 shot rubberband gun?  [;)]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#9]
No suprise in NJ, we have to go through an FFL for a BB gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, good, looks like some of you are used to this FFL-for-BB guns idea already.  I can't wait!  Yes, it is suprising that MD has no laws against BB guns...but it sure will be exhilirating to fill out them yellow forms to get an Air Rifle.

7:  [i]SURE[/i]....its your nephew's rubber band gun....gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Such a law would mean the end of air rifles. Nobody will pay $8 for a NICS check on a $17 Air Gun. Imagine, every person buying a BB Gun having to fill out a Form 4473 and pay for a NICS check. What next, waiting periods on toy guns ?

FWIW, I feel for those in Occupied New Jersey. Your state is the only one worse than California, except maybe Illinois. Then again "Assault Weapons" are still legal in IL, just not Handguns.

Come on down to the free states: Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. You can also try Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, or Virginia.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
  Hey this is cool . I'll finally have some
 " PRE BANS "

Actually this is ... sad , sad , sad  .
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
well not necessarily,

only bb&pelllet [b]handguns[/b] have to registered in michigan.
BB&pellet rifles are still sold over the counter
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The "nail in the coffin" for hope of letting the Assault Weapons bill sunset???? [:(!]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Such a law would mean the end of air rifles. Nobody will pay $8 for a NICS check on a $17 Air Gun.
View Quote

8.00 for a nics check?! i've never had an ffl charge for that.

mike
View Quote
some states ie California charge a fee for the addinital state run checks
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Such a law would mean the end of air rifles. Nobody will pay $8 for a NICS check on a $17 Air Gun. Imagine, every person buying a BB Gun having to fill out a Form 4473 and pay for a NICS check. What next, waiting periods on toy guns ?

View Quote

I really didn't create this thread to debate this very slim possibility.  I too highly doubt that BB guns being considered firearms will happen, and have to fill a 4473 for them.  Unfortunately, some have to already do this.  That is pitiful.

But since we have strayed off onto that tangent, I will say that I do not count out anything anymore.  If it one day becomes federal law that Air Guns are considered firearms, I will not be suprised.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

FWIW, I feel for those in Occupied New Jersey. Your state is the only one worse than California, except maybe Illinois. Then again "Assault Weapons" are still legal in IL, just not Handguns.

Come on down to the free states: Texas, Mississippi, and Louisiana. You can also try Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, or Virginia.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong IL is bad, but handguns are only illegal in Chicago and some other municipalities.  
Atlhough we do have:
FOID cards (needed to touch a gun or ammo, 18, 19, and 20 need parents signature)
No CCW or Class 3
Waiting periods on all guns.
No armor piercing ammo or tracers.
etc.

and coming soon:
No pocket rockets (whatever that means)
No .50cal's
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
and coming soon:
No .50cal's
View Quote

Is this just stipulation; or really going to happen?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I really didn't create this thread to debate this very slim possibility.  I too highly doubt that BB guns being considered firearms will happen, and have to fill a 4473 for them.  Unfortunately, some have to already do this.  That is pitiful.
View Quote

If you look at England, all their BB guns not only need a background check but they also must be registered as well.  They did this in an attempt to stop the increase in gun crime in their country after they banned most firearms.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Geez, even here in CA you can by a BB gun or pellet gun, and for that matter Black Powder guns without any kind of permit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Gawd - we're going from bad to worse...

BTW - remember that bb guns are almost universally smoothbore, and are therefore NOT rifles or pistols under GCA68 and NFA34 - they will all be considered "shotguns" under the law...

FFZ
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and coming soon:
No .50cal's
View Quote

Is this just stipulation; or really going to happen?
View Quote

thats the platform of the leading democratic candidate for governor.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm sueing whom ever invented "sizzors".I can not run with them in my hand.I can not run with them on land.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#25]
well, haven't owned a BB gun in 20 years, but now it seems i may HAVE TO, you know, for the children...

...so who knows where to buy a full-auto, AR-looking BB assault rifle? (i'm dead serious, i've seen them, but forgot where)
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#26]
OK In the PRNJ it is $49 for the State Police, $ 15 for a NICS when you apply, $ 2 for each handgun permit...good for 6 months. Now when you buy it you pay another $15 NICS fee. If you want to save money you gedt several guns at one and only have to pay one NICS fee, but then you get reported to the FBI as a multiple gun purchaser......
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
For your information:
Daisy American Spirit .177cal. bb/pellet rifle: 320fps (can't figure out fpe)
[url]www.daisy.com[/url]

Beeman R1 .22cal. pellet rifle shooting 13.2g pellets @ 790fps = [red]17.7fpe[/red] (foot pounds energy)
From Tom Gaylord's Beeman R1 book.

Ruger 10/22 shooting a 60grain @ 950fps = [red]120fpe[/red]

Now, in England, to own an air rifle that shoots over 12fpe, you need to obtain an FPC (firearms certificate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#28]
i know that the politicians are busy closing congress, spending tax money and adding employees to the gov't., but i CALLED mine and protested this 'anti-gun agenda' recall.  if this happens, ALL firearms will be next, let it happen and watch them recall all those dangerous firearms next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top