Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2001 8:41:12 AM EDT
My employer is about to layoff 10% nationwide and I think I want to be one of the 10%. Here are the pros and cons of being layed off.

CONS:
No steady source of income
No Insurance

PROS:
I am fucking miserable where I work
Pretty sweet severance package (I could potentially walk out with a check for many thousands of dollars)
This will give me motivation to try something different (thinking of moving to AZ)
The other 2 in my department who are potential layoffs will be hurt by this financially more profoundly than I
I could take a nice month long vacation

I am going to talk to the boss today to volunteer for layoff. They have already picked and I may be the one but I want to let him know anyway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Severance may seem good from far but far from good.  Some employees from the company I worked for were given 6-month salary as their severance package.  80% of those who were given that deal have been out of work for over 5 months and most couldn't even step foot into an interview.  Moreover, I don’t foresee a turn around in the job market until the fist or second quarter of next fiscal year.

Good luck, Bunghole.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
The reason I am considering the layoff is that I may have an opportunity at another print shop. The timing seems to be pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully you can get what you want.  The last thing that I would want would be someone on the payroll who wanted to be laid off!  You might hint that your productivity might fall off a little bit if they keep you around.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What do you do in the printing business?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I work in the PrePress and Desktop department.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a college degree in Mechanical Engineering and a state license in HVAC and was severed 8 months ago and can not find a job.
I suggest you secure the other job first, then put your name in the pot for severence.
By the way,   at my former workplace those that ASKED for severence did NOT get it.      Remember when you were in 5th grade and got caught doing something wrong and the teacher said do you want to write 500 times or 5 licks.   Whichever you picked you got the other one?????
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

I just got this reply from a job recruiter 2 weeks after I sent in my resume.
We currently have  your resume.  Sorry it has taken so long to contact
you,
however we are receiving 100 resumes per day.  Please contact us in a
few
weeks for a status.
View Quote

They have so many people that want jobs they don't even want to talk to me for a few weeks, and my resume matches the job that they have open.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the axe today and I didn't volunteer. I was already chosen to be layed off. It looks like they got rid of alot of long time employees. I'm not really upset though. I had a feeling I would be layed off and packed all of my stuff up last night. I went out through the front door instead of the employee door in the back to avoid the "Walk of Shame". I have been ready to move on for some time but wouldn't look for another job because the pay was so good. Now I have a VERY good reason to find a new job.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I know it's slow for some industries, but others are stretching there legs a bit.

I was offered two jobs last weekend. Anybody in the East Bay thats looking for work in building environmental controle METASYS drop me an e-mail I may be able to help.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
    Getting laid off is interesting to say the least.  I got laid off about 2 weeks ago from my job as a help desk technician for a world wide company based just outside of Boston, MA.  I'd been planning on staying with the company until November of 2002 since that's when my stock options would have vested.  After that, I was going to focus on getting into law enforcement since that's what I really want to do with my life.
    So, here I am one year short of having my options vest which doesn't bother me much since the stocks are in the toilet anyway.  I've lived in MA my whole life but would love to move out of this state so I figure that this is my chance.  I'm going to try applying to a couple of different police departments in NH, VT, and ME and in the meantime work another IT job (if I can actually find one) or an armed security job until I can get into PD and then move out of this state.
    As for my days...  They're pretty dull.  I'd much rather be working right now rather than sitting around the house, but I've got some decent severance in the meantime so I'm all set for another month or so.
    If anyone happens to know of some PD's that are hiring or are going to be hiring in a gun-friendly New England State than I'd love to know about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top