Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 6:13:24 AM EDT
ok, my best friend and i are really interested in fourwheeling, and want to buy our own truck. i know more about the different porducts and mods you can do (i know more about in genreal about wheeling thatn he does, but he's learing quick) i'm in college right now, but when i get out, we're definatly buying a truck.

here's what we're thinking of getting.

chev 1973-1987 but prefer around 1980.

4x4 (well duh) this won't be a desert truck. i live in the maritimes and we have woods, mud, and water in that order.

regular cab

long box or short box?? the long box has less drivline angle problems but shortbox is more manuverable (sp?).

6.2 diesel engine.

manual tranny (with low gears) which one. i don't want an auto.

6 inch suspension lift

possible body lift, don't want to if i don't have to.

a little bit of fender trimming. not super huge.

38 inch superswamper tires.

weld wheels. cause they're supposed to be strong, are they? can you get them without chrome? (i don't want to pay for chrome, it doesn't help me through the mud.)

dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear

snorkel

turbo charge the diesel, which will give me the most power?

np205 t-case

at least 4:10's in the axles, what should i be running.

10,000 or 12,000 pound milemarker winch

what lockers should i run, arb too expensive.
limited slips are basically open, i'm thinking of a detroit in the rear, or maybe a spool.

note**** this is gonna be an offroad truck, no commuting to work, no road trips, very little street driving, if this thing does 40 mph when i'm done, that's fine. i'm not building a "street truck" or a show and shine rig. i'm not saying it's gonna be an absolute woods beater truck either.

basically, the only time this will be driven on the street will be in the winter time, when there's a horrible storm and the cops say "don't drive on the roads" and i still have to/want to go somewhere.  hehe

i have a lot of experience offroading with my father's atv, and i know your're gonna say there's a world of difference, but i can still pick a line, and judge things, and know my limits. (well i'll know the limits, once i get stuck a few times hehe)

you guys know a lot so rant away!! lol

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
"10,000 or 12,000 pound milemarker winch"

No rant, but think HARD about this choice.  Do you plan to run a separate pump for this, or try to run off the power steering pump?  Unless you planning to use the winch on a daily or greater basis, I would consider a Warn or Ramsey electric instead.  Easier to install, and less headaches in the long run.

Also if you are cutting the fenders, why the bod lift?  The suspension lift and fender cut should cover about all you will need for clearance with 38's.  If you were planning on 44's or something, it would be another story.

Also that spool is going to work on those expensive big tires, ARB locker might be the better choice in the long run.

Just my point of view[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/smile.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i'm saying milemarker cause i've heard through the grapevine froma lot of people that warn's will heat up and die

did you mean to say that the spool is NOT going to work? it sounds like you did, but forgot to type it. oops
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i'm saying milemarker cause i've heard through the grapevine froma lot of people that warn's will heat up and die

did you mean to say that the spool is NOT going to work? it sounds like you did, but forgot to type it. oops
View Quote

The Milemarker is a fine winch, but tough to install.  On an older truck, they want you to change the steering pump and fluid before the install.  It is better to run a separate pump altogther.  As I said, unless you going to use the winch in a high demand situation, an electric is easier to work with.  Your needs should be the determining factor.

The spool is an "on all the time" type thing.  It will increase tire wear by it's nature.  You will be spending big bucks for those large meats, over the long haul it might be worth your while to use the ARB's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
ok thanks, i respect your advice.

it's just that, with my luck, that electric winch will die when i need it most.

spool:

my fatehres atv has a spool rea, and i haven't noticed any majour tire wear on those.

the point about spool is that all the bad things related to them are to do with street drinving. i'm going to drive this truck like an atv. off-road only, no on road driving. the tires wear bad cause when turning on the street, the inside tires skids aause ti has to turn at the same speed as the outer tire which is covering a bigger distance. i'm not driving this on the street so it's not a problem.

not flaing you, just saying...

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Short bed
6.2 diesel
6" susp lift
38"s is good
Welds are overkill
Good diffs
NV 4500 tranny=$$
Turbo is a definite Yes
4.56 or 4.88 with 38s
Front and rear lockers,there are several good ones out in the last two years
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
6.2 diesel
Good diffs
Front and rear lockers;

This sounds alot like the mil spec. Chev 1ton trucks(long bed),CUCV i think.  They are realitivly easy to come by and have most of the drivetrain you want. They even come with Detroit lockers in the back, some had them in the front too, all had 4.56gears. Plus, they are painted camo.

They had the heavy duty TH400 auto trans but the wimpy NP208 transfer case. But you might want to keep the auto as it is tough as hell.

If I was to swap drivetrains i'd go with the SM-465 four speed with granny low backed by a NP205 case.

Even better would be the NV4500, but that is pricey especially when you add in the cost of adapting it to a good transfer case.

38" swampers might be a little tight with only a six inch lift, i'd sugest maybe an 8.  You can do a lot of fender trimming on these trucks. A 500inch rat motor would really make it throw mud. [:)]

BTW, the long bed of the CUCV would have room for a few .50 gunners...[50]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#7]
From my experience, I would not rush out and buy everything at once.  You should build as you go, if you are serious about having the "perfect" truck for you.  It will all depend on the terrain, "yes there are different types of mud" for which different tires will work better or worse, and for the winch, you don't need overkill, you will end up tearin crap up anyhow.  If you are not climbin rocks, you don't need a winch that big in most cases, unless you are just going balls to the wall and when you ditch it, you reeeaaallly ditch it.  But my .02$ worth, build it as you go, as you continue offroadin, you will find some things will work better or worse, and the only way you will find out is EXPERIENCE.  Yeah, its nice buying all the shit at once and your truck looking good to most, but it must walk the walk if you are serious about off roading, and the only person that can tell you what is really right, is you, you are the one that knows where you want to go, and how you want to get there. Good luck and BE SAFE! damn I sound like my old man! lol
[sniper]
"You can run....but youll only die tired"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top