Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/30/2001 5:43:09 AM EDT
My leatherman I've had for the past six years is fastly wearing out. Using it on the farm I've broken the punch and file. It smells of grease and diesel fuel. Should I buy a SOG, Gerber, or another Leatherman?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:46:57 AM EDT
i've got a gerber. it's great. i've used in a mechanics shop, it held up. none of the tools have broken, plus it's small enough that you don't notice that you're carring it, cause it doesn't get in the way. i always wear mine. it comes with a ballistic nylon sheath.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:47:16 AM EDT
I have, and like very much, the new Gerber 800 Multi-Plier. Vastly improved over the earlier version that would pinch your hand in a heartbeat. BTW, this was the first question I also asked back in "Jan 2001"[IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/aahmed/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:57:20 AM EDT
I have both the Geber Multiplier and the Leatherman Wave. I broke the screw driver on the leatherman(stupid me!), but I sent it back to the factory, and they replaced it for me free. I would try that first, unless you are getting bored with it. The Leatherman's are an excellent tool. I like it because it have a slender needle-nose style pliers that fit into tight places.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:03:38 AM EDT
Been there done that, if you can, handle a Victorinox Swiss Tool. I have killed 2 Gerbers, a Sog and a Leatherman. The Swiss tool is still running, it is built like a tank. If you can get to a knife store, try all of these out. Ice
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:04:22 AM EDT
Leatherman Juice CS4. The "Glacier". It has everything except a file and is small enough to be comfortable in a pocket
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:24:21 AM EDT
I like the Gerber. The Leatherman is nice, but the Gerber has a one-handed operation that can't be beat. The Leatherman requires you to use both hands to open; the Gerber opens with the flick of the wrist.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:30:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:01:27 AM EDT
[b]Schrade Tough Tool.[/b] [url]http://www.schradeknives.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:58:28 AM EDT
I have two Gerbers and two Leathermen. I like the Leathermen better (especially the Wave), although I must admit that the Gerber's one-hand flick to get to the pliers is pretty damned handy. Still, the Wave gives you everything the Gerber does but in a smaller, yet just-as-strong, package. Just my .223... USNA91 Out....
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:59:10 AM EDT
Leatherman SuperTool. Have had mine for many years. I'll never buy anything else.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:42:04 PM EDT
Ihave the Gerber, its really nice. BKVic
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:46:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2001 12:41:19 PM EDT by Malpaso]
Gerber (which I have) for belt carry, Leatherman for pocket carry. Doesn't the Leatherman have a lifetime guarantee? Give them a call and see if they'll refurbish it for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:51:14 PM EDT
I use my Leatherman WAVe all summer long in the mountains and beat the crap pit of it. Ive never really liked a multi-tool until the WAVE came along=, mainly because it had easy out locking blades on the outside so that you wont have to open the whole damn thing just to get at a knife blade. Check into it. its definantly worth it
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:46:22 PM EDT
I carried a Leatherman for years, then I saw a Gerber, it's much better. I love my gerber. Snap it open one handed
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:08:22 PM EDT
I've never used a multi-tool that felt more solidly built than the Leatherman Wave. Unfortunately, mine has gone AWOL. I'm carrying a $20 Gerber Multitool that works, but it doesn't feel quite a solid, but what do you expect at less than a third of the price of my wave? I don't feel bad about abusing it either, as it's cheaply and easily replacable. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:16:03 PM EDT
ANYTHING MADE BY LEATHERMAN!!! I have a gerber multi tool in my desk drawer that I totally busted a few years ago. I understand that they will fix it but I honestly don't care. If/when I loose a leatherman I go buy a new one. NEVER broken one and I use them for everything from a hammer to a prytool. The Victorinox Swiss Tool may be an exception, that's the only one I haven't either owned and destroyed or atleast played with and didn't like.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:18:38 PM EDT
[url]http://www.equipped.com/devices2.htm#HandyTools[/url] I have used a few of them pretty hard and my least favorite seems to be the only one that holds up(Leatherman Supertool) while my favorite(SOG Powerplier)breaks in a matter of weeks right along the little metal bands that hold the whole thing in place for the gears to work. go to the URL above and there is a good unbiased review of most of the tools you might be thinking about. Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:35:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:50:39 PM EDT
I've used my Leatherman Wave pretty heavily for a year now and really like it. It's tough, small and has very good tools. I had a Gerber and it was built well but it didn't have as many tools not was it as comfortable. I really like the one handed opening outside locking blades. crash
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:24:56 PM EDT
Has no one ever heard of the Bucktool? I've got one and it works well for most situations.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:45:35 PM EDT
I chose the Gerber 800 because the wire-cutting blades are replaceable. Bradd
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:46:57 PM EDT
I have to chime in with the Bucktool as well. I've had a Leatherman and the Gerber, but the Bucktool is the only one I carry. Funny story, in retrospect anyway, my wife got me the Bucktool for a Xmas present. When it arrived she wanted to see what the big deal was about it, so she opened up the serrated blade first and cut her self pretty bad. She had to clean the blood off of it before she wrapped it up[shock]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:39:49 PM EDT
I'm going to be out in left field as usual and unequivocally recommend the Kershaw. Heavier than any of the Leatherman, Gerber, Buck, SOGs, etc, etc... comes with heavy ballistic nylon sheath. Locking lever keeps the tool closed while you use the saw (which really will cut metal) and file and screwdriver etc... The knife is on the outside of the tool and can be opened one handed and unlocked and closed one handed. The "robogrip" type needle nose locking pliers have a neat twist adjustment at the back of the tool to adjust tension. I hesitated for years in buying one and then looked, hefted and played with all of the ones on the market before deciding on the Kershaw. Best 60 bucks I ever spent. D.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:46:40 PM EDT
Gerber
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:54:56 PM EDT
I've playes witht he SOG and Buck tool alot also as many friends have them too. But I do not lik ehow they open. Its that twisting motion thing that drives me nuts. If you ever have to grip something with the pliers and then twist you are screwed. The dumb thing closes up on you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:35:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By azexarms: I'm going to be out in left field as usual and unequivocally recommend the Kershaw.
View Quote
If it's anywhere near the quality of their knives, I'll have to pick one up. My Kershaw Whirlwind never leaves my side, and it's the best knife I've ever owned, not to mention that it didn't cost me an arm and a leg and was bought at the local sporting goods store off the rack. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:35:59 PM EDT
I think the kershaw (or the craftsman copy) is the better tool. I use it at work every day and it has never let me down. Mine is the orig but some of the guys i work with use the craftsman copy and we cant tell them appart.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:38:44 PM EDT
Is this Kershaw/Craftsman similar to the Letherman? A few years ago the craftsman tool was an exact copy of the letherman? I wonder if it has been changed. Might be worth it to go get one just for the craftsman warranty
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2001 9:38:56 PM EDT by paterpk]
The Kershaw/craftsman is a vicegrip needle nose pliers with a partially serrated 3 inch blade. not at all like the letherman. edit because i cant spell
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:47:46 PM EDT
Just checked it out and they have changed it. the old craftsman tool was identical to the leatherman. Now i just have to get my hands on one to see how it feels
Top Top