Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 6:18:45 PM EDT
Was wondering if anyone has had this procedure performed on their pet and any possible complications.  Also, was there a personality change??  He is a 4 year old springer.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i worked at a vet clinic for 13 months and i don't think we ever had a problem (complication) with a neuter.  it is definately a wise decision.  it will help protect against prostate/and testicular cancer.  it might mellow him out a little..springers are kinda nuts anyway so you probably won't notice a difference.  male dogs can smell a female in heat up to 5 miles away so if your dog runs (he doesn't "just like to run", he's trying to score)  it will help with that.  all in all it's a very good thing to do for both you and your pet.  i wouldn't worry about it at all.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
'Adder I only have 2 things to say about that
1) You gotta sleep sometime, and after 4 yrs. of having a set of 'em you don't think he's gonna forget do you?
2) Yes, he is going to glare at you from time to time.... and mean it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I am with you guys regarding the loss of the doggy jewels.  We had been told it was a good idea for health reasons and would curtail some of the marking of the territory.  He is the peeingest dog I have ever seen.  I do feel bad for him though.  I keep thinking of the old joke "Why does a dog lick his balls?"...the answer...."Because he can."  Poor Guy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn,...Goin from PRE BAN to POST BAN.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
After you get him cut you can call him SHORT SACK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn!
Just be thankful it's not your nuts being considered.

That Springer is going to lose some libido but will still do the dry hump.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about your poor pooch, but I'm laughing my balls off just reading this.

I'm a Beagle and Basett person myself.  Always had female dogs.  I guess I can be glad I never had to make that decision.  

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" after cutting his nutz off :-) (Modified from another sig line)
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone noticed a change in attitude/personality when you get your female spayed (no, not your girlfriend/wife, your dog)
I'm thinking about getting it done to my dog because the Vet has been pushing it. I just want to know if the Vet's trying to make his Hummer payment
Borg
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Silly, ignorant me...I took "BONES" in for the surgery when he was 9 months old.
I thought it was the same type of procedure that Human Males get, you know, tie off the tubes kinda thing...yeah, right!
So, I go to get BONES at the Vet and when he turns around, I'm horrified!
I said to the gal at the desk, "Where's my dog's ballsack?  He's got NO BALLS!!!"
She says, "They remove the testicles AND the scrotum, sir."
I says, "What, does the vet think that's funny:  Does she have a thing against MEN?  I mean, at least she could have let the dog have his BALLS!"
She then went on to describe the procedure in detail and said the Dr. had some oddball (no pun intended) name for it, and then she started to giggle!  NO WAY would I have done this to him had I known what a little shop of horrors he was going to!
I took my NUTLESS SON outta there ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
had my 4 month old jack russel done, he was very sore for 2 days and did nothing but lay around. 3 rd day he was up moving again. it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and he is wild as ever. no personality change at all. expect 2 days of downtime for the dog.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:08:22 AM EDT
[#16]
He may be going fron Pre ban to Post ban, like Madmedic said, but at least he will still have his Pistol Grip ;)
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
As my vet said, "It's a simple cut and dry procedure."

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]

WeRBorg-  i have a female labrador and i got her spayed before she had her 1st heat cycle.  if it's done before the 1st cycle (around 6mos of age) it will decrease the chances of mammary tumors up to 90%.  another good reason besides not wanting puppies or blood on your floor, crazy acting dogs...is that they can get something called pyometra where the uterus fills up with pus..that's immediate surgery there..plus it's nasty...i've had to empty surgery buckets of that stuff before.  f__ing sick.  yeah vets like to do surgery and get tons of cash...but i think it's a good idea.  the vet i worked for loved to do ACL repairs, that's a thousand dollar job, he drove a lexus, chevy tahoe, and ford explorer.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
referring;
When you talk about crazy dogs, what are you referring to?
I just love the attitude and personality she has and really am afraid it will change her too much.
Borg
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just want to know if the Vet's trying to make his Hummer payment
Borg
View Quote

Of course!   . . . or he collects little doggie reproductive parts, but we don't want to even [b]think[/b] about that!!  Yuck!!
View Quote

And you thought he served oysters at his last dinner party . . . yeah, ROCKY MOUNTAIN oysters. . . .
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
So, these two dogs are in a vet's waiting room, and one asks the other, "Hey, what're you here for?"

The other dog says, "Well, my mistress was scrubbing the floor, and she was completely naked, and, well, she smelled GREAT!, and, well, I jumped on her, and, uh, I'm, uh, here for 'the operation'."

The first dog says, "Oh, dog, sorry to hear."

They pause and reflect for a few minutes, and then the second dog says, "So, uh, what are you here for?"

The first dog says, "Well, my mistress was cleaning the bathtub, and she was naked, and one thing led to another. . . ."

Second dog says, "Oh, so you're here for 'the operation' too, huh."

First dog says, "No!  I'm here to get my toenails clipped!"
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]
when i said 'crazy dogs' i meant that when they go in heat a couple times a year they act kinda nuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top