Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 6:08:47 PM EDT
I checked these out recently and liked what I saw. I am considering a 1999 model. Anyone have any experience or feedback on them. I have determined that I don't need a Defender 90, like I thought I wanted and the price is right on the 99's. How are they for offroading? I am interested in something that will handle muddy rutted trails up to 12"-15" deep with mud. How is the reliability? Can anyone explain how the differentials and the transfer case works? I know they have full time four wheel drive, but do the differentials lock in the front and rear as well as the transfer case or are they open? Thanks in advance for advice on what other vehicle I should buy but I have owned Ford 4X4 trucks and Chevy 4X4 trucks and Toyota's and Chrysler's and Honda's and I am interested in the Land Rover.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:29:06 PM EDT
They made a video demonstrating the prowess of the Discovery series. If you see it, you won't be disappointed. They took stock Discovery's, + winch and snorkel, up the Amazon River in ruts up to 3 feet deep filled with mud. They all made it, you should do just fine in 12". The 4wd is electronic and a bit like ABS brakes. They only engage when slippage is detected. It distributes the power based on individual wheel traction. Like the other models, it has a deceleration mode that automatically slows your car in a steep descent without using the brakes. While the Discovery's are still a "British" car, BMW did rework and re-engineer a lot of the electronics with Bosch parts to iron a few bugs. The wierd thing is they are now owned by Ford, not known for great electronics. I hope they stick with Bosch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:45:11 PM EDT
Heres a simple way to see what the owners of said vehicles think of their rides. Look in the local used car newspaper, like the Recycler. Find the type of SUV you want and see haw many are for sale vs the closest other badged competition. I looked the the land rover line and found many pages of them for sale. I looked at the Toy land Cruiser and saw 3 TLC FJ60 up for sale. I ended up with a FJ60. best four wheeler I have owned, I will not sell that TLC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:12:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2001 7:36:13 PM EDT by Ice]
Rovers are still the go anywhere, do just about anything, look good vehicle. Only problem is it is a little bit of a gas hog, but when you drive a truck, you have to pay for a truck's gas. Just edited to ask about how much was the asking price? Around here, they go for around 29,995 for a SD from the local dealer. Ice
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:00:40 PM EDT
1999's with about 30,000 miles are about $26,000 and with 45,000 about $23,000. There was one 1998 that had a manual transmission and 39,000 miles for $18,000. The one lot I looked at had at least 20 on the lot. The area is a huge yuppy area with a Land Rover dealer near by, and most of them seem to be lease turn ins that have never been off road. All but one had leather and all had virtually new tires. All were extremely clean. Anybody that knows the Chicago area will recognize that the ladies and gentleman that live in the Oakbrook and Hinsdale area aren't too hard on their off road vehicles. [:)] Its more a Grey Poupon kind of neighborhood.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2001 9:37:28 PM EDT by crashburnrepeat]
Disco's are for the trendy elite, three of the five families I know that have them have had lots and lots of little endless trouble with them; lights won't turn off, or on. Door locks quit functioning. 4 wheel drive won't engage. Heater quits working. Nothing that immobilizes the ride but they are generally in the shop forever and the parts are hellaciously expensive. My local 4 Wheel drive club has a couple of them in it and they do go well offroad but they are typically "British", with all the little reliability quirks you hear about with brit cars. Now if you want a totally reliable, COMPLETELY capable offroad wagon, get any of the Toyota Land Cruiser Wagons from the FJ60 on up. The FJ80 was probably the best in the US due to it's solid front NON-IFS axle. The new FZJ100 has in Independant Front Suspension which as you know is great if you want to drive a car but not so great offroad. So if you are looking for a Disco only, get one, then be ready for the headaches. If you want to really go offroad and back but still have a great on road ride, get the Cruiser. You won't be disappointed. DISCLAIMER: I am totally biased on this issue. I own two Land Cruisers (the older FJ40 series) and have driven dozens more. FWIW the FZJ80 series Land Cruiser is one of the most capable "Out of the Box" 4 Wheel drives anywhere. I have seen totally stock FZJ 80's make obstacles that heavily modified FJ40's, Jeep CJ 5's, Discos and Scouts had trouble with. if you want testimony to the quality and offroad prowess of the Toyotas, look what most of the people in the Third World hell holes drive; Land Cruisers, Nissan Patrols, Toyota Hi-Lux and other Toyota Mini trucks seem to dominate. There are hundreds of different variations of each Toyota Model available outside the US. Even the new FZJ100 comes with a solid NON-IFS outside the US. Seems the stupid soccer moms who don't want to take their Cruisers off the mall parking lot won't buy a 4X4 that doesn't drive like a lexus and so have "poisoned the well" so-to-speak. There are no jeeps, few if any Discos seen in the harsh 3rd world areas due to reliability issues. I own 2 Cruisers and a CJ5 and the CJ is like a toy compared to the two Cruisers. The Disco's "legendary offroad prowess" is due largely to Land Rover's Legendary Marketing Department which sponsors the Camel Trophy and other Disco showcase stuff. It's interesting to note that the lead driver from the 93 Camel Trophy team and the current coach of the American Camel Trophy teams drives a FJ40 Land Cruiser. Disco's are cool and capable but Land Cruisers are lots better. crash.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:29:40 AM EDT
Willy, My name says it all. I have a 97 LR Discovery Series I. I would not get rid of it for anything. If you are buying a 99, make sure it is a Series I and not a Series II, as both were made that year (last year for I, first year for II). Series I are more bulletproof and easier to work on, and since the Series II was introduced in 99, they have had their share of problems. For all the info you need, refer to www.discoweb.org If you have any specific questions email me, and I would happy to discuss them. Crashburnrepeat is correct in that many Discos are mall crawlers, and in fact mine was before I purchased it. However, a stock Discovery is amazing in its offroading abilities, and a slightly modified one is even better. One of the selling points for me was the completely enclosed frame (I do not of any other company that does this, although there may be). Well there is my rambling and .02.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:06:55 AM EDT
I have considered the discovery but after talking to a few owners decided against it. Nothing but headaches and problems. Engine troubles, oil leaks, all sorts of electronic troubles including airbags, brakes, and a/c. Steering problems also. There may be some well built ones out there somewhere but I havn't talked to an owner yet who didn't have trouble. Land Rover - "Guaranteed to get you there, but not get you back."
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:29:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shotar: Real simple as I've written this several times here before. I Love my Rover. I offroad regularly and have pulled many lesser brands out.[red] There can be only one best and this is it. [red] Others are very good, but theres nothing quite like a Rover.
View Quote
...ummmm, WRONG! if you ever pulled out a Jeep Wrangler, CJ, MB or Willy's, its only because of inferior drivers! i agree that LR's are very capable off-road machines, but who wants to pay the huge $$$'s to repair them? if you want off-road AND status, buy the LR, but i hope you have a high-paying job!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:07:52 AM EDT
I took one of these on my honeymoon 3 years ago. Bottom line- don't do it. You'd just be paying for "status" Frankly, my wife and I hated it. the rear door never closed tightly, rattled the whole 1800 mile trip. gas mileage was on the order of 10 miles per gallon, plus it just had a weird feel to it. Leather interior and heated seats would be nice in the winter (took ours around the great lakes in the summer) truth is, those sell for much money here and our jeeps sell like that in europe. frankly, we like our cherokee better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:16:05 AM EDT
I've owned 3 Discos, 3 Range Rovers and a Ser.II 90. The bottom line is that they are the only four wheel drive that will go anywhere with no trouble. I've pulled Toyotas, Jeeps, Fords, Chevys and two Hummers out of the mud. The footprint on a Rover is far more stable and trackable than anything else out there. If you want something that will get you there in total comfort with no worry of getting stuck, and want something that will take you to the ball is style, look no further than any Rover.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 8:36:49 AM EDT
I am a very new member, but not new to Range Rovers or four wheel drives. The Range Rover is simply the best off road vehicle. I have not owned a discovery, but have owned RR and now own a '95 RR LWB. The air suspension alone is a peak performance off road tool. What's more the rigs are almost all GM parts. Just replaced an idle air bypass valve, used for extreme temperature extra air intake at the plenum, and it was $37 at NAPA, Land Rover $140. Point is this, the money for parts becomes moot when you know where to get them. Also, the Discovery is a great rig, but go with a used RR and you get the top of the line off road vehicle. I drove a jeeps, CJ's and TJ's, I drove TLC's both FJ40's and FJ60's, and the Range Rover is better. Always wanted a FJ45. Although I will tell you the Toyota is an awesome rig bar none, those things run and run and run, but they will not out run a Range Rover. The RR sucks gas for sure, but it is no worse than the TLC FJ60, that thing is a gas hog as well. Anyway just my two cents. Oregon mudd off roading is the best! KWL
Top Top