Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 10:20:00 AM EDT
this has been a theory of mine since childhood. but again today, i was reminded of it. i whispered to a co-worker: "can i get some of that chocolate?", and our secretary came running in form ouside the office, about 10 m away, knocking shyt over on the way, and said: "did i hear the word 'chocolate'?" it was amazing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw some medical study on 60 Minutes or something like that a few years ago about men and women, and how they hear things.
It claimed women can tune into, and listen to 2 things at once, and understand both.
Men can only focus on one thing at a time, and cannot listen to 2 things at once, but men tend to focus on one thing at a time.
After seeing that, I always tested it, try to listen to something on the TV, and my girlfriend at the same time, and I can NEVER hear both things....
but then again she doesn't hear me even if the TV isn't on....hmmmmm [:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]
WHAT?!?  [;)]  Maybe, because 99% of shooters are guys. [:D]  Then again, maybe they listen to gossip better at work.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]

You should see what happens when you say the words "buy" and "gun" in the same sentance!!![B)][BD]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It is a well known fact among all married men that women can hear two gnats doin' the nasty from five blocks away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Women must have better hearing, cuz they sure talk a heck of a lot more.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
In general(general) women have better hearing. Men, better vision.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife can not only hear the word "Sale" from miles away, but she can "sense" a Mall is nearby even in a town she has never been in before.  It is uncanny.

I can hear a rat fart from 50 meters, but if the TV is on I hear nothing my wife says.  Guess it's that whole focus thing...
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Men have Selective Hearing, Women have Steel Trap memories.

"Honey, I asked you to take out the garbage at 10:47 this morning and it's still here at 7:16"

"You did ask?  Sorry, I didn't hear you"

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know.  My wife misunderstands words that are spoken to her every so often, yet I hear them fine.  And I should mention that I have tinnitus.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#10]
...you married guys kill me! seems like i have a whole lot to look forward to!

but really, it seems like a consciousness/concentration issue rather than an actual medical reality, huh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#11]
They have an acute hearing...and after the marriage they suddenly become deaf.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Huh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
What were we talking about again?[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:14:02 AM EDT
[#14]
HUH????

it certainly has to be better than mine!

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Women's sense of smell is supposed to be far better than males'

Hearing don't know.  Mine seems to be just as good.   The attention factor may make difference.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#16]
We're just deaf from shooting. Earplugs just don't cut it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes Women do hear better then men. Its an established medical fact. The way scientists have tried to explain this, is that they needed to hear predators so that they could keep their babies safe. Now men did the hunting, didnt they need to hear too?  My theory is that they have better selective hearing. They hear what they want to. How many times has a man said, I told you, you cant do that!  This is after 20,000 miles without a oil change, soaking your brand new camera in water, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Of course I was listening, sweetheart.  You just
said: "What did I just say?"
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Ohhhhh Yeaaa women can definately hear better than men.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Women must have better hearing, cuz they sure talk a heck of a lot more.
View Quote

Reminds me of a joke...
Sister Karen Katherine entered the Monastery of Silence. The Priest said,
"Sister, this is a silent monastery. You are welcome here as long as you
like, but you may not speak until I direct you to do so..... "

Sister Karen Katherine lived in the monastery for 5 years before the Priest said to her, "Sister Karen Katherine, you have been here for 5 years.  You can speak two words."
Sister Karen Katherine said, "Hard bed."
"I'm sorry to hear that," the Priest said, "We will get you a better bed......."

After another 5 years, Sister Karen Katherine was called by the Priest... "You may say another two words, Sister Karen Katherine." "Cold food," said Sister Karen Katherine, and the Priest assured her that the food would be better in the future....

On her 15th anniversary at the monastery, the Priest again called Sister Karen Katherine into his office.  "Two words you may say today."
"I quit," said Sister Karen Katherine.

"It is probably best", said the Priest, "You've done nothing but bitch since you got here.

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I should mention that I have tinnitus.

God Bless Texas
View Quote

From what I recall, Tinnitus is a temporary condition.  The permanent condition is called Minnears Disease, or something like that.

I have it mostly from marching in a drumline for 4 years and playing percussion for 7 years.  Nothing worse for your ears than a rimshot (no sex jokes...a rimshot is when you hit the rim and the head of a drum at the same time, creating a VERY loud, high pitched pop) a few feet away on a Yamaha Sfz.  But shooting definitely doesn't help.
View Quote

Tinnitus can be temporary or permanent.

Meniere's Disease is a collection of symptoms that includes tinnitus, vertigo, nausea, a fullness of the ear, & fluctuating hearing loss.

Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#24]
yeah, thanks everyone! i've been thinking this whole time that tinnitus meant tin-foil-itus!
[BD]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#25]
The effect of firearms on hearing:

[url]http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#26]
They must, because my wife sure hears a lot of things that I don't recall saying...thinking yes, said out loud no way! [peep]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top