Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 4:22:33 PM EDT
First, hats off to you guys.  Now, on to my question: Do you guys have to pay for your life insurance or does the job provide some basic level of coverage?

I'm asking because another thread I was reading mentioned the fact that military members have to pay for their insurance coverage; it is strictly optional.  This doesn't seem right to me. I think a basic level of coverage should be provide to ALL GIs. It's not like they're in it for the money.

A 19 y/o kid "elects" not to *buy* coverage, he dies/gets killed, his family gets a burial, a flag and a $2,000 funeral expense stipend last time I checked.

Is that all he/she was worth?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
TTT
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My county pay's for a $45,000 life insurance policy. (I have additional) My health insurance is paid, a family plan is additional. In addition, if killed in the line of duty, my wife will get benefits from the State of Florida, (I'm vested in the state retirement system) FOP, and the federal government. Also, I get $250 I belive from the veteran's adminstration and a flag, plus burial rights at national cemetary's.
I don't know when the life insurance changed with the GI's. When I was in, it was the same $10,000 from WWII. I understand it is $100,000 now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My county pay's for a $45,000 life insurance policy. (I have additional) My health insurance is paid, a family plan is additional. In addition, if killed in the line of duty, my wife will get benefits from the State of Florida, (I'm vested in the state retirement system) FOP, and the federal government. Also, I get $250 I belive from the veteran's adminstration and a flag, plus burial rights at national cemetary's.
I don't know when the life insurance changed with the GI's. When I was in, it was the same $10,000 from WWII. I understand it is $100,000 now.
View Quote

Well, it's actually up to $200K now however, it's still *optional* which sux if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My county does provide a basic life insurance plan.  We can opt pay a bit for more coverage on life insurance.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
i think if i remember right in the military SGLI (soliders group life insurance) was $7.00 twice a month for $250,000.00 coverage it wasn't a big deal.

john
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That would depend where you work. There is no "standard".

I remember in the military, free basic life insurance, free medical and dental. If I was hurt I would be eligible for free lifetime medical benefits at the VA and probably get some type of preference in hiring if I applied for a non-military job. Not to mention retirement benefits, after 20 years. Free meal and boarding and the reduced prices of the PX system.

As a LEO I pay for health, dental, and life insurance, there is a minimum free life insurance amount that is part of my retirement account. If I get injured, they look at years of service, age, income, and how badly I'm injured before deciding if I'm ELIGIBLE for a medical retirement. Also some injuries will disqualify a person from further police/fire service, but the workers's comp people would consider it a minor injury. I know officers that have been seriously injured, while doing their job, that because of their years of service had to get other jobs while they were still in physical therapy for their duty related injuries. Some places have 20 yr retirements for public safety personnel. Here it is minimum 50 years old maximum 55 years old for retiremnt w/o penalty.

I was in the military for 3 years. I went to AL, West Germany, LA, and Honduras, with Rangers within spitting distance of Nicaragua when we were fundind "freedom fighters".

I have been a Corrections Officer, Police Officer, or Deputy Sheriff for appx 12 years all together.

I never felt that there was an undue risk to my safety when I was in the military.

I have felt my life was in danger as a LEO. Not to mention I never had to worry about being sued in the military, I do as a LEO.

When I was in Honduras we were at a forward airstrip with Rangers, engineers, and some Air Force guys including a PJ that had been there several weeks before anyone else. They built the dirt airstrip about a week before we arrived. They said that if there was a Sandanista attack on US forces it would occur where we were. One day we're at the river, cleaning up swimming etc. The area of the river was by some SF training areas, where they were training "freedom fighters". A ranger platoon and our squad got to the river at the same time. The rangers set up 2-3 guys as security as the rest were in the river. I was our squads security. I told the rangers I would maintain securty if the wanted to join their platoon in the river. At first the said no. I pointed out they had no ammo for their M-249/M-16's and I had a loaded M-60 with 200 rounds.........They went swimming.

I remember having something like a $50,000 "death benefit" just for being in the Army.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, right now I'm worth 250K to the wife should I meet an untimely end. I'm worth more dead than alive! Should I be worried?

What she doesn't know is that starting 1 Nov 2001, she is covered by SGLI for 100K (and 10K for each of our kids). I think the premium for this will be about $20.00/month.

Semper Fi

Dave
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#8]
County pays for death benefit only $7500. I opted for Salary x 2 option for 7.50 a paycheck. Then I have Deferred compensation through Pebsco for around 50k coverage followed by a private policy that is up to 250k.

Should I die in the line of duty, County pays 50k and then state doubles that...I think the fed might kick in some too...not sure.

I pay 62.50 a month for health insurance...that's about one quarter of premium...county covers rest.

Hope that answers that

BTW...that's Gwinnett county GA
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Round #s for a Fed LEO ... I paid for anything over a few thousand (Uncle Sam pays for that)and got charged a group policy rate for several multiples of my salary. What seemed to be a good deal actually sucked when I really started looking at it. I don't smoke but an occasional cigar anymore and had to take a physical, but found for a few bucks more than the max the feds would sell me, I could get half a million $ coverage. Any other feds out there, get a worksheet from personnel and crunch the #s, you might be surprised.               Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top