Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 3:02:14 PM EDT
this forum is the best source for information.
The Army books seem to be the worst. I;ve seen some good ones, and some poor ones.
Anybody got a recommendation?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
the army survival manuals (aviation survival, survival FM, SF handbook) are the best..you just have to be able to take time to read them.  Another is the SAS survival guide.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.deltapress.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Get Ragnar benson's live off the land in country and in the city. This book has it all and it is actually a good read with great info.

Also get ragnar benson's survial retreat....DO not get the modern survial retreat ONLY GET the old version.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The SAS survival book is pretty good, as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
crowTrobot,

Just what kind of environment do you want survival information for?

I've got a couple recommendations on desert survival:
Desert Survival Skills by David Alloway
and
Desert Survival Handbook by Charles A. Lehman

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll second that one.  Pretty good read/reference.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll second that one.  Pretty good read/reference.

Viper Out
View Quote

Ditto. Its in MY Bug Out Bag.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I own the following and feel they are good BUT there are lots of info out there.  Nuclear War Survival Skills, Where There Is No Doctor, Survial Retreat and Modern Survial Retreat, Encylopedia Of Country Living, and latest military survival and first aid manuals. Also keep Pocket Survival Manual and First Aide Manual in Jeep.      
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend a book called "Wilderness Survial" by Gregg Davenport. He is a former Air force Survival Instructor and runs a survival school in Colorado i think. His web site is www.simply-survival.com
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]The Soldiers Handbook[/b] by ret. Col. Herbert and 1949 copy of the [b]Boy Scout manual[/b] are probably 2 of the best survival books out there, IMHO.

Finding them could be a problem, newer Scout manuals lack the plant recognition sections of the older ones.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top