Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2001 7:25:17 PM EDT
I was leaving early this morning for my Service Rifle Club's Annual Championship match.  I had an armload of stuff and dropped my friggin AR on my concrete driveway muzzle first!  It kinda scuffed up around the end of the barrel, but left the crown untouched.  I am sure the neighbors awoke to an endless stream of obscenities.

Have any of you marred a firearm, and got irrationally pissed about it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
How is the driveway?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup....
First time I shot my New Mossberg 590 and I had put a side saddle shell holder on it but never lock tightened it. Well, When I shot it the side saddle came lose and I went to fix it later that night and dragged the screw across the receiver leaving a nice mark! Now this was about 2am I was trying to fix it and I thought I would re-blue the scratch with my cold blue kit to make it look better....Of course we all know that the 590 is a parkerized gun...I F'd it up to say the least. Now if I'm to tired I put my guns in the safe and fix and clean when I'm alert!

That was the straw that broke the camels back that day....

John
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I dropped my HS 2000 on the hardwood floor today.  Just try to remember that guns are tools.  Your AR will work just fine with or without the new scratch.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell yes! I was going to trade a buddy for a HK 91. He just built the gun, never had a chance to shoot it. This was no hesse junk. All HK or FMP. Shot it once. Casing stuck in the chamber. As i was pushing down on the cocking lever the gun slipped and slammed down on my sidewalk. A new sidewalk with a heavy broom finish! Basically rough as hell surface. Scratched the hell out of the reciever. He just re parked it and it came out fine. Had to change the barrel.It had a FAC barrel on it.Flutes were junk. Put a HK barrel in and fuctioned awesome! Not to bad after all. Especially since I traded him a Polytech M-14 for it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I marred a blade on the ceiling fan in my garage with my Stevens 416. I did'nt get irrationally pissed, just a little pissed. [:|][:|]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy bought an M-1 from the CMP. It was a service grade minus wood. As a gift, I gave him a brand new Boyds stock set and put it on the rifle for him. As he was taking the rifle home he dropped it, (still inside the padded CMP box) on the floor from about waist high. The stock broke off at the wrist, not a mark on it. It just broke.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you as happy with your HS 2000 as I am. Sorry BTT.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Did it "just go off"?  :-)

When I was a kid, I once threw a box end wrench on the wooden floor of my parents' garage.  It bounced off the wood and went straight through a window.  Try explaining that to your old man.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
"97 Drill Seargent! 98 Drill Seargent! 99 Drill Seargent!..."

I was with my Dad when he dropped his buddy's brand spankin' new Mauser Mark X.  The rifle landed on the butt and broke off a section about 1"X2".  Fortunatly for my Dad, the owner had planned to add a custom recoil pad anyway, so he just picked up the tab.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL...first time to shoot my brand new prized Bushy that I saved months for, never even put a magazine in it, and I set it down on my case on the range table...gust of wind...and there she went .....right to the ground....should have heard the gasps...cracked the foregrip a little.
LMAO...I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming! [grenade]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#13]
bobeaser,

I absolutely love my Gen. 1 HS 2000.  I can't post enough times how good this $300 pistol is.
If the SHTF tomorrow, it would go with me.  Several of my much more expensive pistols would stay at home in the safe.

I can't wait for one to come out in .40 or .45!

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Live Free,
Bought mine from a doctor for 200 bucks, I like it as much as my father in laws SIG P220. Luckily I have not dropped this gun
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me preface this by saying I am not proud of this in any way, but I was getting some stuff out of my Toyota truck (lifted 6") and my HK USP .45 was on the passengers seat and I forgot it was there and grabbed something and it fell out of the truck, hitting hammer first (with a round chambered).  I about pissed myself--Thank God it was an HK or I might not be here.

Ive dropped it a couple more times, but nothing as bad as that.  Still works beautifully, no worse for the wear.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to the range to break in my new 308 Browning Lever Action, shoulder the rifle and on the very first round the stock hits my ear protection and puts a nick across the top of the stock. Brand new shiny finish. I am still sick over it.

Go trapshooting with my buddies, shoulder my  Remington 870 Premier, stock hits the metal fastener on my bibs strap and scratches the stock. How can you think of everything?

Watched the forearm on my 1187 I was cleaning fall off the bench in slow motion and hit the basement floor, slight nick in wood.

But like I was told, if you use them, things are going to happen. And most times the accidents are blown way out of proportion, I am like a big baby, I keep talking about it until the wife tells me she doesn't want to hear about it any more. Then something breaks around the house or on the car or truck and gets my mind off it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you as happy with your HS 2000 as I am. Sorry BTT.
View Quote

Damn right I am.  It isn't one of the best 9mm's [i]for the money[/i] anymore, it's just one of the best period.  Love it.

And yes, I've dropped my AR before.  It was resting on the bipod on top of a bench, but I backed my elbow into it reloading a mag and it toppled over to the concrete below.  Has some scuffing around the muzzle crown, but no serious damage and very little aesthetic difference from before.  Busted up my ATN 5x33L scope - lucky for me it's built like a damn TANK [8D]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:10:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Speaking of SIG P220's...

My department changed over to the .357 SIG from the .45ACP and offered us the chance to purchase our issued weapons.  I had just been issued a BRAND NEW P220, like a month before (my 6 year old one was being worked on by the armorer and having a re-blue job).  The LT in charge of the guns told me I'd get to keep the newer SIG if I wanted to buy it.... OK, here Mr. Murphy, it's your turn.

I proceeded to scratch the crap out of the front of the slide the next day during training.

I mean scratched the CRAP OUT OF IT!  I did some yelling, and some cussing, and wanted to throw a tantrum.  But had to maintain a somewhat professional demeanor and did'nt lay on the floor kicking and screaming like I wanted to!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep!

Now this is your D.I., "Drop an give me fifty!!"
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I have an old friend whom always asked me to take him and his son shooting. They lived in NYC and mom was anti-gun. I worked with this guy for years and always welcomed him and his son. I figured let me dont my part to spread the shooting bug and show were really good, Bla bla bla...etc,etc,etc.

I took a post ban colt ar-15 with a flat top, some mags and ammo. We get to parking lot. Coffee , bacon and eggs, safety speech etc. I realize i forgot targets. So tell them to sit tight , i will walk the 250 yards to get targets from range office. I come back all ready. I hand out some boxes and bags for carry. Then i sling the assault case over shoulder and crash!!! In the time it took to get targets my buddy unzipped the case to show his son the rifle. They were excited to go shooting and didnt touch the weapon. But they didnt zip it shut either, so when i glanced at it i assumed it was secured as i left it. Landed muzzle first and then stock and landed ejection side down. the kids laughed , i turned red and my buddy said . " oops sorry " . I was so sickened i traded it later on for a luger . I just could accept the damage. I got dents and nicks on all my guns from me . But this one was too much to handle ........
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#22]
when I was in kuwait a buddy of mine got sick of patrolling on the atv with the m16 slung so he bungied it to the front rack he hit a dune it came off and he drove right over it.  it took us about 5 minuets kicking around in the sand to find it it took him another 3 hours to clean it.  still shoot well though

john
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Try this one:
I was at my dad's house years ago, walking out with my #4 Enfield.  Had it slung over my shoulder, muzzle down.  For some reason, the sling came undone and I tried to catch it before it hit the ground.  The muzzle flipped up and I caught the front sight apature right on the cheek, about two inches below the left eye, next to the nose.  Needless to say, I didn't catch the rifle before it plowed into the carpet.......couldn't remember if I had my scope mounted or not at that time.

And we all know how heavy an Enfield is?!  That was one of the most severe concussions that I can remember! [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't recall ever dropping a firearm BUT I did lean a newly built M1A against the textured wall in my apartment about 15 years ago.  When I turned around the rifle fell over on it's side, chewed up the front sight housing and left a nice three foot scrape in the shape of an arch on the wall.  After re-parkerizing the sight housing on the rifle and repainting the wall I learned my lesson about being extra careful.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#25]
You reblued a parked gun?  WTF were you thinking?  Damn, I'd be pissed if I did something that dumb.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm vastly different than most of you guys. I love my guns as much as anyone but a rifle is like a truck. It's a tool. Tools are made to be used and in doing so they get scratched, dinged and dented. I'm not suggeting that you abuse a gun or truck but I'm not gonna cry over little scratches, dings and dents that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the function or longevitiy of the "tool".

While hunting one day, at the top of a VERY steep 150' bluff that we needed to go down. My cousin wouldn't go down because "I might scratch my rifle." I put my rifle over my back and made a "controlled" slide down the bluff, from tree to tree. He, not wanting to make the mile + walk around the bluff eventually slid down the bluff holding his rifle out in front of him like a flag. He took one hell of a beating but "didn't hurt my rifle." I'll never forget the look of him sliding down that bluff. He was more worried about putting a scratch on his rifle than breaking his own leg.

Sorry, if I'm that worried about a rifle it's staying in the gun case in the house. Guess I'm just to much of a practical 'ol country boy!! Tools are for working with and women are for looking at and admiring their bueaty!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#27]
heheheh! i'm still laughing at some of those posts!

a $259 romanian sar-2 will cure you of worrying about what your rifle looks like... forever! lol!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#28]
ever considered transporting it IN a gun case?  that would have saved the gun (from scratches, dents).  

recently I went to the shooting range cause a visiting relative wanted to shoot my guns.  we took my ar15, ak & a 22 rifle.  the ak & Ar15 were in hard cases, THANKFULLY.  because upon exiting the range, going out the door, he TRIPPED because he forgot there was a step between the door & the sidewalk.  my guns were fine, no damage whatsoever, THANKS to them being in the hard cases.  it was a good thing I was carrying the 22 rifle (in soft case), targets & cartridges, etc.  =)

I would have been pissed, thankfully it was a NON-EVENT =)
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Have you considered buying a gun bag?!?
They are made for a reason you know...

That does suck though

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Had my Ruger #1 .243 slide out of the scabard on my motorcycle at about 40 mph.  Dropped my Ruger Security Six in the creek when it fell out of my shoulder holster.  The same gun later came out of my holter at about 50mph on the motorcycle....that one dicked it up pretty good.  Knocked my brand new (at the time) Olympic 6PPC AR off the bench and on to the concrete.  Have had numerous horse accidents while on a deer hunting pack trips with my dad.  Too many to list here, but normally the horse would end up stomping all over my rifle during the ordeal.  After one fairly serious disaster the horse got busted up pretty good and I didn't actually find my gun until the next day.  There was gear strewn for a 1/4 mile on that one.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
T. Rumore, I thought you only dealt in cruelty to girl friends and didn't know you were now into horses !!
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Without thinking, I cleaned a Ramline 10/22 HiCap with GunScrubber. The whole thing practically melted together.[:(]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I was just getting home from having Trijicon night sights put on Glock 27. Dropped it on the gravel driveway. Fell right on the rear sight. Nasty scar that looks right me every I shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
i was at a gun show a couple years ago and there was a rack of rifles on top of a table.  don't remember what they were exept one was an ar, i think pre ban too..anyway some jackass knocked the whole thing over and the whole room fell silent and everyone looked over there.  glad it wasn't me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#35]
i rolled my baja bug with an hk 91 strapped to me.heading down a steep hill, way to fast, when my r.f. wheel dropped into a rain rut. the baja followed the rut right on down, then up off to the right and rolled. no seat belt naturally, so i woke up in the middle of the trail with the hk still strapped to me. the rifle had just about beat me to death, with the front sight slashing through my nose and lip, concussion, seperated ribs. there was a circle of paint on the barrel that corresponded to a crimp in the vw door, where the door had cold rolled itself around the barrel, on my witless way out. after a trip to the hospital, and about two weeks later, i took the hk into the shower with me and scrub-adubbed all the dirt and sand out of it. it was so packed with dirt and blood that the bolt would not even move! a trip to the range and the trusty hk still shot to point of aim! a testimony to the ruggedness of these guns. i was never able to get all the paint out of the plastic stock, and the ring around the barrel was allways evident if you looked close.
willy
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Why did you have to bring THIS up?!  I just about got over the night sweats after marring the finish on a brand new HK SOCOM last year.

I had just picked up my new SOCOM and Tactical .45's at my favorite toy store.  Went to the local indoor range post haste.  Both guns come in a slick padded modular zip-shut case.  I set both cases on the right of the booth closed, and took the SOCOM out to shoot.

After 2-3 boxes, switched to the Tactical.  Forgot to close the case on the SOCOM.  Brass bouncing off the divider left a halo on the side of the slide on that neat SOCOM slick black finish.  If you don't know to look, it's ok.  Each time I take it out of the safe I cringe to the foul memory of that ding.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Brand New Berretta A390 Silver Mallard, 1996.  Got and went to fire it, put it down on the table, softly. Picked it up and SHHHIIIIITTTT. There was this little demple in the Finely Checkered Stock. It was about 1/16" wide. It appeared to be 3" wide when I saw it first. I was a little mad. But more then anything , I had to repeat to myself around 30 times that day that it wasn't that bad. I would look at it every time I picked up the shotgun.  Its small , Ben, don't worry about it.  Repeat, Its small Ben, don't worry about. Repeat. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 See I am still hurt by this, and I sold the gun over 2 years ago.  

Ben
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Never dropped a gun before.  Had my Ruger M77 Mk II slung on my shoulder about to head out for the afternoon deer hunt when I hear, SPLASH!!!  Turn around to see the barrel stuck 3 inches in the mud after the sling somehow came loose.  I was so disgusted that I didn't hunt that afternoon, even after I spent 30 minutes cleaning the mud out of the barrrel.  It is an all-weather so damage to the finish was minimal.
All my firearms are in a case before they leave the house.  They are removed for shooting or carrying, whichever I'm doing, then back in the case for transport.  I baby my guns big time.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#39]
my AR. with out thinking baout how heat affects metal i tryed to use a dummy round to push out the rear take down pin. i didnt let the rifle cool so it wasnt going anywhere(the pin). nice copper scatch ont he left side of the reciver. also witht he same AR my brother sped through a 30rnd mag, cleared the rifle, then layed it down on some blue plastic tarp in the back of his truck. nice melted blue goo on the bbl. sucks
thanks
DB
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh yea,

propped up an AR against the wall, as soon as I turned my back it fell over on the hardwood floor.

Put a freaking dent in my hardwood floor [shock]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I dropped a .22 Rifle on the Walkway up to a friends home and the stock broke as well as a piece of the receiver. The thing never worked right after that. It jammed like crazy and shot crooked. Well at least it only cost $50.

[Edited To Note]

The crappy sling broke, I didn't actually drop it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Whose bright idea was it to turn down THIS memory lane?

OK, it only happenned twice:

First time, I was bringing my Stainless Commanding Officer's .45 home from having a beavertail and action/reliability/bushing done by Tussey when he was local.

I opened the soft case to ask him about the bushing when I was leaving, then didn't re zip it.

Got out of the car and about 1/2 way to the front door when I heard this terrible racket and I kicked something with my foot.

I hear a crash in the bushes just as I realize what the noise was.

Giant rough spot on the new beavertail, I'm too embarrassed to let anyone fix it.  Considering the height and rough cement surface, I'm very lucky.  But I just gagged.

Second, getting ready to bunk down, took the Bennelli out of the safe and leaned it against the wall, reached for the Para P12 when the B started to slide down the wall, so I reached for it while holding the Para.  I caught it, but the front sight gouged that super-tough Para finish by the  front sight.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I've never dropped a gun, but I have dropped a few guitars.  My guns are tools, and while I don't abuse them I don't baby them either.  They're going to get used and that means they're going to get marks and scuffs.  My SP1 is almost as old as I am, and looks about as rough too. [:D]

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#44]
HAHA I like laughing at people's misfortunes because I was tortured as a child HAHAHA [%|]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't abuse my guns but accidents happen.  My buddy knocked my brand new Bushmaster off the shooting bench and dinged it up some.  I was pretty unhappy about it, somehow it is easier to take when it is my own clumsiness to blame.  My 1187 has been in the drink quite a few times.  Walking through mud with waders on is guaranteed to cause occasional spills.  The worst was when I was hunting salt marsh and I stepped in to super soft mud and sank up to my waist.  I had to toss my gun ashore into salty mud so that I could extricate myself.  By the time I got home, there was some serious rust on the outside of the gun.  I ended up taking it, into the shower with me, disassembling it (in the shower), and then drenching it in WD40.  Stuff happens.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Dents, dings, scratches....hmmm...

ALWAYS BUY USED GUNS!

That way you can tell yourself "That was on here WHEN I bought this gun, it wasn't ME that put that silly dent, ding, scratch in it!  That was that MORON that owned it BEFORE me!"

Same rule applies to vehicles, houses, etc.  Buy 'em Used!

No Kidding, this logic works EVERY time for me!

I worry about the new guns I own, because I am probably responsible for the damage.  (ie. scratched a Daewoo DR200 receiver on my blue jean's brads) [rolleyes]

If you buy it NEW then be sure to LOAN it to a scapegoat every now and then, then you can tell your self that THEY scratched it when they borrowed it.  ROFL [8D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#47]
What's a few dings & dents. They're just beauty marks. Normal wear & tear.  Life's too short to be concerned with a few scratches here and there.  That where its all about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Trying to get the oiler out of an M1 Carbine stock with the sling on.  Stupidly tried to pry it out and ended up 'denting' the bottom of the hole where the oiler goes in.  Pissed me off big-time.  Another when the guy at the gunshow put the zip-tie on too tight on my Dan Wesson.  when I tried to cut it off, I scratched the grip.  Grips are not easy to find for Dan Wessons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I had to take my daughter to the hospital one morning. Got in a big rush, grabbed the nearest gun(a Taurus PT99), set the gun on the roof of the car, strapped my daughter in, and took off.
Looked all over for the gun, couldn't believe I had done something so stupid. Finally called the sheriff's office. They told me thety couldn't put lost guns in the system, so I reported it stolen. About two weeks later, I got a call from the sherriff saying someone had found my gun. They gave me his number, I called and explained to him, he returned it. I have never felt like such an idiot in my life and that's saying something. I have felt like an idiot many times.
There are still a lot of honest people out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Without thinking, I cleaned a Ramline 10/22 HiCap with GunScrubber. The whole thing practically melted together.[:(]
View Quote

I did the same thing. I didn't feel so bad though, it was pre-'94 and they were still selling for $19.95.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top