Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 6:42:43 PM EDT
Before you start with the tinfoil hat remarks, I'm not saying that these are UFO's. At least not the ones with Aliens. Just that I'm not sure what they are for sure, though I've got a few ideas.

Was wondering if some of you with a little bit more aviation (especialy military aviation) knowledge might be able to shed a bit more light on the subject.

I've seen three different objects, and all have been at night, of course, while walking the dogs.

The first one I saw was a four days ago. It wasn't as loud as some of the commercial jets (at least to my memory) and didn't seem to be flying as high an altitude either. The landing lights were in a triangle shape and weren't flashing. And if I remember correctly, they were all different colors. Red, white, and blue, I think. Did hear some engine noise. I'm thinking this might have been a stealth fighter or bomber. I've had them fly REAL low and slow over my house before so I know what they look like. But only in the daylight.

The second one was the strangest. I saw it travel at a somewhat fast rate of speed, and across the normal flight paths of normal commercial and military flights that I've seen overhead. It was a solid small round, white light, like a landing light. Only it didn't blink. And had no other lights of any color. I watched it travel from one end of the horizen to just about the other. NO SOUND was heard. Figured this might be a satelite, but am not sure. I thought there lights blinked as well.

The third, and final one was tonight. It passed overhead with some engine noise. It only seemed out of the ordinary because of the landing lights. From my vantage point, two of the lights were blinking and one wasn't. I say from my vantage point, but I had a pretty good look at it as it went over. The left light was white and blinking, the middle light was red and blinking, and the right light was white and not blinking. BTW, the lights that were blinking were blinking pretty fast.

Also, I live about 80 miles North/North East of Whiteman AF Base, near Columbia MO. Though I do live out in the country about 20 miles from the nearest city.

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation, but am curious as to what these might be.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about no. 1 @ 3. But #2 could have been the International Space Station.

I've seen it 3 or 4 times and if the angle is right it will look like a cars' headlights from a mile away. It can be very bright right up to being the brightest object in the sky.

Somewhere there is a website that lists the times and viewing angles of the ISS. My friend has it but never has shared it with me and I've never thought to look for it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
166 people have read this, and only one response? I figured this would be right up some of your alleys.

BTT^
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
satelite tracking
http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/realtime/jtrack/

space station
http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/temp/StationLoc.html
http://www.heavens-above.com/

Quoted:
I don't know about no. 1 @ 3. But #2 could have been the International Space Station.

I've seen it 3 or 4 times and if the angle is right it will look like a cars' headlights from a mile away. It can be very bright right up to being the brightest object in the sky.

Somewhere there is a website that lists the times and viewing angles of the ISS. My friend has it but never has shared it with me and I've never thought to look for it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Beats me... I've seen weird sh!t in my time too.

Even weirder. Was working at a summer camp and one night we see this huge spotlight (like on a helo) tracing through the woods... Comes straight toward us stays on us for a second and then keeps going. It wasn't very high up, but the strange thing is that there was no sound what_so_ever.
It was pretty neat...
There was always a lot of military activity in the area (MC130's, 53's, and such.)
We all sort of agreed it was probably an AC-130 or something and was just really high up and for somereason the source of the light just looked low.
Who knows.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not aware of any satellites that have lights.  We can sometimes see satellites because one of their surfaces is at the right angle to reflect sunlight, so you should never see a satellite that is blinking...except possibly if it is rotating in a certain way.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys been hangin' at [url]artbell.com[/url] again?

[img]http://artbell.com/images/ls-ufo1.jpg[/img]

Looks like a lionfish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
It's the Black Helicopters dude. Seriously though, I saw a special on TLC about satellites. We got so much junk up there, when a satelliate goes bad from a failed power source or meteriote impact and it's orbit begins to decay, they can tumble and spin  making it look like blinking lights. They get mistaken for UFOs alot I guess. BTW, there are ways of rigging helos for silent or near silent running.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top