Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2001 3:16:20 PM EDT
Is the military portion of this being done properly?

Something about not bombing the shit out of the front line protecting Kabul bothers me.

I'm no General but I want some carpet bombing already. Lets scorch these bastards.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they're being a bit too risk-adverse. The US likes to fight wars in which material matters most, because we can crush anyone that way, and it's a low-risk proposition. This war requires accepting more risk and dispatch.

They weren't bombing the Taliban in front of the Northern Alliance for a while because they were trying to exactly calibrate a political solution and didn't want the NA winning "too fast". Well, the military is a blunt instrument, and you can't calibrate it that finely.

I think they'll need to seize an airfield and encourage defections from the Pashtuns by presenting the loss of the Taliban as a done deal. A "get with the program or be on the losing side" proposition, rather than what they have been doing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I's tanks we's shoulds use some U.S. grade "Amtracks" on dum!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top