Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2001 4:52:32 PM EDT
Personally I think NATO would have the advantage in the winter. Better gear and the Taliban will find it harder to move around.

The only downside I see is if our aircraft can't fly.

Also I have no problem with us attacking during Ramadan. Islamic warriors are specifically allowed to skip fasting if they are at war. So clearly the Koran expects people to fight in their holy month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Advantage:  US or NATO.  Targets show up much better in thermal and infrared sights during the winter!

The Taliban guys don't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
All the afghans know what to expect from the winter I think they may have at least some kind of advantage because of that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that yes, the Coalition forces have a decisive advantage from the air.

But you have to remember that the Afghani's are like the Soviet Union of WW2 fighting during the winter on home turf. These people know the layout of the land and what to expect during their winter months. Especially in the mountains.

If we are to fight a ground war in Afghanistan during the winter months then we need to pick our targets very carefully.

The Afghani people have repelled every invading army in their long history.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on how bad the Taliban has been hit so far. They could possibly have some advantages over the US ground troops especially during the winter months. That is their home turf. They know the landscape and they are use to the harsh weather even though we have modern cold weather clothing. Some of our troops train in the cold climates but don't live there. Winters can suck even when dressed warm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember that little blow out of a war Syria and Egypt started with Isreal in 1973?  Know what the Middle Easterners call that little war?  The Ramadan War.  They started it during the month of Ramadan.  Can't be against fighting during Ramadan when the war is coming to you and for it when taking it to others.

As to who has the advantage in winter, I think we have a fair number of troops from such places as Wisconsin, Michigan, Maine and elsewhere equally comfortable in cold climates and the Afghani's won't have a warm permanent bed every night where our troops will.  You ever see a person walk through snow?  Kind of leaves a trail that is hard to hide.  There is only one side in this conflict trying to hide.  Can't imagine being holed up in a cave for 5 months with no break.  We also have better eyes than the Afghani's.  No high tech gadgets like infra red imaging or thermal devices on their side.  I also think their ability to resupply is going to suck something fierce.  My bet's with the U.S.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The Taliban will have an advantage to some extent as they know the terrain and what to expect. However, it's unlikely they will be prepared for a snow storm of cluster bombs.

BTW, are we going to bomb their mosques, or what? They certainly should not be given the chance to use them as hiding places.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The Taliban have a tremendous advantage so long as they have no need to heat food or stay warm.
Looks to me like the suckers won't have a bath for about four months and will learn to absolutely love frozen horse-cock !
We're just toying with the pricks now while waiting for Colin Powell to get his act together regarding the next ruling body.
[8D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
yes it would be a tough battle in the winter as the only way to move about is by air as the mud roads are not very good .
but on the other hand if you know where the bad guys might be  they should show up real good day or night come winter. I think those nefty little drones will give them hell come winter.
we need to take the cities before winter and let them eat rocks doing the winter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
In the winter, any fire they make to keep warm will stick out like a turd in a punch bowl with thermal imaging.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
We also have the 10th Mountain Div.
But my limited knowledge of military history tells me if you go into someones backyard in the middle of winter it doesnt usually go well for you.Napoleon, hitler, UN Korea(Chosin), the Brits in the Khyber pass in Afganistan. There's probably more. I would be very careful about getting cocky about our chances over there in the winter.
Cut off their supply lines, and keep it in the air, yes. Get in a shooting war in the mountains and its another story. I am no military strategist but that whole winter thing scares me.JMHO
BP
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think there is a heater in one of these.

[img]http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/pictures/a_10.jpg[/img]

General Characteristics
Primary Function: A-10 -- close air support, OA-10 - airborne forward air control
Contractor: Fairchild Republic Co.
Power Plant: Two General Electric TF34-GE-100 turbofans
Thrust: 9,065 pounds each engine
Length: 53 feet, 4 inches (16.16 meters)
Height: 14 feet, 8 inches (4.42 meters)
Wingspan: 57 feet, 6 inches (17.42 meters)
Speed: 420 miles per hour (Mach 0.56)
Ceiling: 45,000 feet (13,636 meters)
Maximum Takeoff Weight: 51,000 pounds (22,950 kilograms)
Range: 800 miles (695 nautical miles)
Armament: One 30 mm GAU-8/A seven-barrel Gatling gun; up to 16,000 pounds (7,200 kilograms) of mixed ordnance on eight under-wing and three under-fuselage pylon stations, including 500 pounds (225 kilograms) of Mk-82 and 2,000 pounds (900 kilograms) of Mk-84 series low/high drag bombs, incendiary cluster bombs, combined effects munitions, mine dispensing munitions, AGM-65 Maverick missiles and laser-guided/electro-optically guided bombs; infrared countermeasure flares; electronic countermeasure chaff; jammer pods; 2.75-inch (6.99 centimeters) rockets; illumination flares and AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles.
Crew: One
Date Deployed: March 1976
Unit Cost: $8.8 million
Inventory: Active force, A-10, 143 and OA-10, 70; Reserve, A-10, 46 and OA-10, 6; ANG, A-10, 84 and OA-10, 18

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We also have the 10th Mountain Div.
But my limited knowledge of military history tells me if you go into someones backyard in the middle of winter it doesnt usually go well for you.Napoleon, hitler, UN Korea(Chosin), the Brits in the Khyber pass in Afganistan. There's probably more. I would be very careful about getting cocky about our chances over there in the winter.
Cut off their supply lines, and keep it in the air, yes. Get in a shooting war in the mountains and its another story. I am no military strategist but that whole winter thing scares me.JMHO
BP
View Quote

Reading Black Hawk Down, they talked about the 10th Mountain... they were stationed in Mog at the same time.   It seems that most thought the 10th were little better than normal units.  

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
To this layman, it seems like the heat escaping from occupied caves would be almost impossible to miss with good thermal imaging equipment — Even more so if the rumors about underground command centers equipped with generators and other electrical equipment prove to be true. After you determine which caves are occupied, the solution becomes almost trivial.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#16]
If we try to hold the towns, forget it. It will be hell.

It would be real nice if we could unleash on the mosques and other civvie targets being used by the Taliban, but currently we are still fighting with one hand behind our back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Step 1)Let it snow.
Step 2)Thermal image all cave entrances.  If there's someone in there and it's not totally sealed,  it'll show.
Step 3)Drop bunker busters onto caves found in step 2.
Step 4)Repeat steps 2 and 3 till done.
Step 5)If above steps fail, send in Rosie!

crash
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top