Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2001 11:41:21 AM EDT
[url]http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=518428&nav=1ugB5Isg[/url]
Cars at Airport Subject to Search
Guns at the Airport  

Reporter: Dan MacDonald

Air travelers, beware. If you have a gun in your car, even if it is in your trunk, it can get you into a whole lot of legal trouble at the airport.

A Nashville businessman faces firearms charges after a rifle was found in the trunk of his car Sunday night.

When David Leland dropped his car off at valet parking at the airport, he says he did not realize he had left a rifle in his trunk. The attendant found it and called police. The next thing you know Leland was being questioned by authorities. His gun was taken, and he was with illegal possession of a firearm, a misdemeanor.

"He was very cooperative but people have to realize we need to do everything to be safe now. And the system worked exactly the way it's supposed to work."

On advice from his attorney Leland declined to be interviewed although he says it was just a dumb mistake. He says he understands why security has to be so tight now.

Police say they have a zero tolerance police when it come to weapons at the airport even if it was just a mistake, you are going to be charged.

You will not hear any complaints about the increased security. Quite the contrary. People say they are willing to put up with the inconvenience. People say it makes us safer and stronger.

By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal. Airport police are watching everything. If you are waiting to pick someone up you must keep your trunk open so they can see inside. People say that is the way it has to be.

"We live in country now where we have to have security, and I'm willing to do my part if everyone else is to make our world more secure."

"These are very serious times. We're at war, and we need to everything we can to protect the flying public and the airlines to create a safe environment."

Before this incident, Leland had never been in trouble with the law. He hopes to go to court and get this issue resolved without ending up with a criminal record.

News 2 at 10

All content © Copyright 2000, 2001, WorldNow and WKRN.
All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our
Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
<>

He broke the law, period. How can you "forget" where one of your guns is? Obviously he gave the keys to the trunk to the valet, making a gun available to someone he had no idea who it was. That's unacceptable behavior, and we all pay for it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
ok he broke the law. what the hell was the valet doing in his trunk?????   flame away...i know 2 wrongs don't make a right but WTF
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ok he broke the law. what the hell was the valet doing in his trunk?????   flame away...i know 2 wrongs don't make a right but WTF
View Quote

Haha, I thought the exact same thing. He should have given the guy the valet key, they make them for a reason!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa now!  Wasn't there a rather lengthy thread going on here within the past week about carrying a firearm in and around airports?  If I remember correctly, a whole bunch of people here stated that it is completely legal as long as it's not past the metal detectors (the secured area)?

What gives???  Is it or isn't it? [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

He was probably looking for something good to steal and the gun scared him. [:0]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<>

He broke the law, period. How can you "forget" where one of your guns is? Obviously he gave the keys to the trunk to the valet, making a gun available to someone he had no idea who it was. That's unacceptable behavior, and we all pay for it.

View Quote
Exactly which law did he break?  It is legal to carry a firearm into the airport as long as you don't go into a sterile area and it is certainly legal to have one locked in the trunk.  This is just hysteria on the part of the cops and he will win.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
"Police say they have a zero tolerance police when it come to weapons at the airport even if it was just a mistake, you are going to be charged.

You will not hear any complaints about the increased security. Quite the contrary. People say they are willing to put up with the inconvenience. People say it makes us safer and stronger.

By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal. Airport police are watching everything. If you are waiting to pick someone up you must keep your trunk open so they can see inside. People say that is the way it has to be. "

So...Just exactly...How is the citizen on his or her way to their dream safari supposed to take a 2 rifle battery to Africa?

This crap makes me sick!  I spent way too many years defending the Constitution, just to see it pushed aside like a used up piece of scratch pad paper!

The man was no threat and was behaving in a polite manner.  His only "crime" was a lack of situational awarness combined with poor judgement.  Since when does the attendant have the authority to search the vehicle?  If it is a law, then it is BS.

Those who agree with the charges need to pull their head out, or polish their bellybutton porthole.

Flame away! You'll only die with carpal tunnel syndrome!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, no one is answering the main question here, which is "What law did he break?"

If the gun was stored correctly based on the prevailing local laws (unloaded in a trunk would seem to be acceptable, except of course here in Kalifornia) then what difference does it make that he was "near" an airport? Is that like the "no guns within 1000 feet of a school" that is an actual law (although constitutionally bogus)?

The Zero tolerence garbage is bad enough in schools, do we need it taken out on law-abiding citizens too?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Jeez.  I have had guns inside of airports more times than I care to count.  Just not in near the boarding gates or past the metal detectors.

Does that make me a "terrorist?"  If so, then what about the "2,000 pound missile" loaded with "flammable explosive liquids" the dude drove onto the airport property.  And the valet attendant is a co-conspirator.

Gimme a break . . .
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that here in Texas the state statues say that you cannot carry a weapon into a secured area of an airport.  Tennessee law maybe different.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]
With few exceptions, zero tolerance of anything is also zero BRAINS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, no one is answering the main question here, which is "What law did he break?"
View Quote

See the original story "illegal posession of a firearm", must have been something other than just being near an airport.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Undoubtably, he broke some sort of local firearms law. just because no such no law may exist in the airport you've been in doesn't mean they don't exist. lets not let our knees jerk.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Hmmm... not that I am sceptical or anything, but just who are these "people" that the reporter speaks of? "People say... your momma is ugly" "People say... cars are too dangerous"

By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal.
View Quote

I am still not exactly sure what "law" this is. I suspect it was a new Executive Order, probably signed last month by Bush, because they are cracking down on cars inside 300 feet here in Kalifornia too. I dunno, doesn't an EO have to be published in the Federal Register or something before it is "law"? Anyway it sounds Federal, and I never heard of it before last month, so I am just wondering when Congress debated it, and when it was voted on etc.

Airport police are watching everything. If you are waiting to pick someone up you must keep your trunk open so they can see inside. People say that is the way it has to be.
View Quote

There go those "People" again, saying things.

"We live in country now where we have to have security, and I'm willing to do my part if everyone else is to make our world more secure."
View Quote

I remember something about security and freedom, and not having either- someone named Franklin said it.[;)]

I am also remembering Ayn Rand saying something about laws, especially ones where there are no victims:

[b]"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."[/b]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Preach, brutha madkiwi, preach.  Yer dead-on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wrote a letter to the reporter who filed this story.
Dear Mr MacDonald,

I just read your story on the News 2 website. It puzzles me. Mr Leland is charged with "illegal possession of a firearm". What does that mean? Was the rifle loaded? Did he point it at someone? Is it illegal to have a rifle in the locked trunk of a car in Tennessee? What the heck was a valet doing looking in the trunk, trying to find something worth stealing? Did anyone ask?

"By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal"

I am wondering exactly what this "law" is. They started searching cars within 300 feet of an airport terminal here in California too. (Although the vehicles used in the attacks of 9-11 were actually aircraft, not cars, and the targets were some buildings in NYC and Washington DC, not airport terminals) If it is the same here then it must be a federal thing, but I never heard of it before last month, so I am just wondering if you know when Congress debated and voted on it etc. Maybe it is a "secret" law, one they don't tell us proles about.

But regardless of whether or not such a law exists, if Mr Leland's firearm was legally owned, so what if it is in his car? When the police searched it, was it in the parking area? I presume you know that no parking is being used that is closer than 300 feet to the terminal, so
this should fall outside the scope of that law, right?

"Police say they have a zero tolerance police when it come to weapons at the airport even if it was just a mistake, you are going to be charged."

Well, we all know how well Zero tolerance is working in schools, don't we?

"You will not hear any complaints about the increased security. Quite the contrary. People say they are willing to put up with the inconvenience. People say it makes us safer and stronger. People say that is the way it has to be"

Hmmm... not that I am sceptical or anything, but just who are these "people"? Usually quotes in news stories are attributed, in your article
no names are used. Are you sure someone actually said these things? "People say" is a subtle authoritarian manipulation tool, but it seems
overdone, you use it 3 times.

"These are very serious times. We're at war, and we need to everything we can  to protect the flying public and the airlines to create a safe
environment."

I remember Ben Franklin saying something about giving up freedom for security, and not having either. Anyway these sound like something from
a press primer in the great country of Oceania. You know Oceania- it is ruled by someone known as Big Brother.

Doesn't anything in the story trouble you?

Like I say, this story doesn't seem right. So many inconsistencies, and unanswered questions. I would love to hear what the real story is.
View Quote

I will let you all know if I hear anything back

Madkiwi
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 3:50:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal.
View Quote

I am still not exactly sure what "law" this is.
View Quote
Perhaps you should consult the Code of Tennessee.  Personally, I am wearing a tin foil hat.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#19]
what the hell was the valet doing in his trunk?????
View Quote

That's a very good question.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#20]
The closest legal material I can find after a "brief" search is TCA 39-17-109   and USC 49-46505
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
what the hell was the valet doing in his trunk?????
View Quote

That's a very good question.  
View Quote

The automobile owner David Leland should have ONLY given the valet driver the ignition key ownly.  When I park my car at a lot where you have to surrender your ignition keys to the parking lot, all the parking attendent get is just he ignition key, nothing else because here in So. Calif. some of the parking lot employees have enough time to duplicate house keys etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope this guy doesn't get railroaded in the name of "public safety" but I think as gun owners you have to KNOW WHERE ALL YOUR FIREARMS ARE AT ALL TIMES. Particularly in times such as these.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#23]
OK. Now I remember.

There is a gun locked in the trunk.

So now what.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I still want to know what happens if you are going and a trip and checking guns.
Are you breaking the law at this airport ?

and yea, what was a Valet in his truck ?!? Sure, Law Enforcement can search cars within 300'... I don't think the Valet counts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#25]
The guy who flew out of Louisiana with a gun in his briefcase isn't being subjected to any criminal charges, and he had a gun on the frickin plane!  This guy is getting shafted for having a gun locked in the trunk of his car!

[url]www.koin.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-102786320011024-131027.html[/url]

From the article:
Although no criminal charges have been filed, the man still could face civil penalties and fines by the FAA for bringing a weapon on board a plane, whether he knew about it or not.
View Quote

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
By law your vehicle is subject to search if it's within 300 feet of the terminal. Airport police are watching everything. If you are waiting to pick someone up you must keep your trunk open so they can see inside. People say that is the way it has to be. "
View Quote

What the hell law is this????

I don't think it's Federal Law?!?

Everything I've read about Federal Law says the "Secure Area" of the airport which is past the metal detectors.

My father & I picked my mom up from the airport here in Houston about a week ago & we where both packing CCW under our jackets & parked the car went into the terminal on floor where backage claim is, met my mother got her luggage & left.
 WTF?  No problems then!

This must be Tennessee law??

What if this guy was flying to Montana to go hunting??

How is he supposed to get his rifle to the ticket counter to check it with the airline????

Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't they all have guns in their cars in TN?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Here in Calif. you if you don't have a key locking gun case, you must by law lock your gun inside the trunk of your automobile, I guess with all the paranoia about terrorists today, even one locked in the trunk is a no-no if you are at an airport.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
He should not be in any kind of trouble.  Hunters bring guns into airports everyday, they need to be unloaded a checked at baggage claim.
I go goose hunting in Canada every year and I would say 80% of the people on the plane are hunters and all of them have guns.  Including this year.  I carried a cased gun into the MPLS airport and checked it with no questions asked but is it unloaded. I also had to put a tag on it informing that it was unloaded at checked at baggage claim.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny...I carry a handgun strapped to my hip into DFW International all of the time. From the looks of this it sounds like some people would probably piss on themselves if they knew what was tucked underneath my shirt. At least the ones not from Texas anyways....

Michael
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]
As I said in the last thread, the sheeple will believe anything.

I was going to post this seperately, but it seems apropriate here:

I was attempting to sell one of my guns the other day and I went into a pawn shop to get an idea what they would offer me. The pawn broker took one look at my rifle and told me it was illegal. He continued on to say "Under the 1994 Brady Bill you cannot use a Hi-Capacity Clip in a Post-Ban Rifle." And yes he said clip (It was a 30 Rd.) I tried and another guy also tried to explain to hime that because the Magazines are pre-ban (Pre 1994) they can be inserted in any rifle that will take them. He wouldn't hear of it and continued to insist the rifle was illegal.

Back To Subject, Federal Law says 3 things:

1) You cannot have a Firearm in a Sterile Area. They define a sterile area as that beyond Metal Detectors

2) You cannot carry a firearm aboard a non-private conveyance for interstate travel unless the firearm is delivered to the driver or in the case of the Airplane, checked as backage (Per FAA, Not Congress.)

3) A firearm unloaded in the trunk seperate from ammunition is securely encased and is protected from alot of laws.

As for the schools issue, that doesn't include Private Property and many states include your car in that (Private Property) In Florida, a firearm carried in the vehicle within the law (NOT CCW) can be left in the vehicle on school grounds. The main problems are School Rules. My College can expel me if they find a gun in my car. But, every year some parent goes to pick up their kids and gets arrested when a gun is discovered in their car. Yet this is 100% Legal. Just as what this guy did was 100% Legal.

HIS MISTAKE WAS CALLING IT A MISTAKE. He shouldn't have whined about forgetting it was thewre and rather should have gotten a good lawyer to explain the law to those morons who arrested him.

If he does get out, he should sue the Valet at the very least and at most sue the Police. He should make sure that Valet will be paying for his mistake.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As I said in the last thread, the sheeple will believe anything.

I was going to post this seperately, but it seems apropriate here:

I was attempting to sell one of my guns the other day and I went into a pawn shop to get an idea what they would offer me. The pawn broker took one look at my rifle and told me it was illegal. He continued on to say "Under the 1994 Brady Bill you cannot use a Hi-Capacity Clip in a Post-Ban Rifle." And yes he said clip (It was a 30 Rd.) I tried and another guy also tried to explain to hime that because the Magazines are pre-ban (Pre 1994) they can be inserted in any rifle that will take them. He wouldn't hear of it and continued to insist the rifle was illegal.
View Quote

Jeez!  You'd think these FFL holders would have a little better grasp of the law!
 I expect that kind of stuff from the ignorant masses BUT pawn brockers with FFL's?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top