Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 4:20:56 PM EDT
I live in a smal  town where a strange dog has been hanging around the exit to the town bypass.( I call him freeway) He is alot larger than a fox, but is colored just like one, black tail and all. He hangs around and people have been giving him handouts as they pass. He has quite the little setup going, but nomatter what, the local animal shelter cannot catch him. He will even come up to a person, but will never let them touch him. Now I have seen fox pups that will do this, but again he is definatly a dog.

So can dogs and fox breed to make a pup?

He is really smart nomatter what he is

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if you get her really drunk first.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
IAJack, I don't know and would also be very curious to hear a definative answer!

Coyotes and dog.....yep!

Wolf and dog......again.....yep!

But, fox and dog?  I don't know!

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I'm offended by that question!?!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://glasgowzoo.topcities.com/d575.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/wayne2.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/fox1.htm[/url]

Apparently they can't.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had always understood that they could not naturally produce offspring because their heat cycles are different.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm? What does a female's heat cycle have to do with a male's willingness to get a ride?
View Quote

Never read up on or doctored your animals, huh? Unlike humans, animals, particularly those of the canine variety, don't just have sex for fun. They do it to breed and before the male will get aroused the female needs to come in heat.

I had a pet Grey Fox for years and she really had the hots for the cat.... no real interest in the dogs.
View Quote

Dogs often "hump" (even the females do this) each other and anyone or anything to assert dominance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting tidbit from one of those links: "The domestic dog is an extremely close relative of the gray wolf, differing from it by at most 0.2% of mtDNA sequence."

"Dogs are gray wolves, despite their diversity in size and proportion; the wide variation in their adult morphology probably results from simple changes in developmental rate and timing."

I also did not know that foxes could be kept as pets. Are they well-behaved if raised from pups?

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
And the female needs to be ovulating.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]

I also did not know that foxes could be kept as pets. Are they well-behaved if raised from pups?

View Quote

I had a Grey Fox that I got when as a youth one of the farm dogs managed to catch the kit and bring it back to the farm.  The fox was very small but one tough bugger!  She was a one-person fox from the time she was little until she died.  I had her close to 10-years....

A Red Fox, is a much better choice for a pet as they don't seem to be as hyper or tempermental as the Grey Fox.  I met a guy that had a Red once and there was a world of difference between the way the two acted.  I could pet and play with the Red Fox while the other guy couldn't get within 10-feet of my Grey Fox....
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess they forgot to tell some of the dogs we have had in the past as we had some fixed females that the males just had to have a go at...

If you are correct, then all female dogs should come in heat at the same time, right? Now, you know better than that so do you really think it matters is the cycle is longer or shorter? All a male requires is the hint that the female is receptive! How long their cycle is doesn't mean SHIT!

Oh yeah, I grew up on a farm, have had more pets than I can list. I also have a Pre-Medicine Biology Degree... Now, my two master's degrees are not directly related but I welcome you to continue this at length if you choose! You will never convince me that a female's cycle length has any affect on ANY male's abuility or desire to do the work at hand!
View Quote

Well, I will continue this. Thanks for the invite. As was stated earlier, dogs "hump" each other to assert dominance on occasion. In order to breed, the female must be in heat and produce estrous that will arouse the male. It would appear that foxes do not have the same heat cycles as dogs nor do they produce estrous that will attract a male dog and vice-versa. As for your degree, if it was in animal sciences you need to get your money back. Somebody failed you in your education. And for being on the farm, please spend less time trying to breed your heifers in a squeeze chute.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#11]
What do you think a fox hound is?  Wink Wink
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Whenever I have strange dogs hanging around it's 'cause I got plastered and gave 'em my number in the bar the night before ......
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#13]
What do you think a fox hound is? Wink Wink
View Quote

I assume you meant that as sarcasm, correct?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#14]
No, my degree is not in animal science, is yours? As for breeding heifers, if you have ever tried to breed a heifer you will know that it is best to tie her down or corner her in a squeeze chute so the bull doesn't get too worked up and cause her harm.
View Quote

I think you missed the levity of my comment and yes, I think it's all in fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The male
dog is not fussy
so temporal isolation wouldn't
seem to be a likely prezygotic barrier.

Since the two are physically capable
of mating,
gametic isolation
due to molecular
recognition would seem to make more sense
as an explanation of why
no viable offspring are produced.

If not, there is always
spontaneous abortion
at the embyonic stage
to look at.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The male
dog is not fussy
so temporal isolation wouldn't
seem to be a likely prezygotic barrier.

Since the two are physically capable
of mating,
gametic isolation
due to molecular
recognition would seem to make more sense
as an explanation of why
no viable offspring are produced.

If not, there is always
spontaneous abortion
at the embyonic stage
to look at.

View Quote

met a fox/collie mix, with it's owner. Strangest looking critter EVER seen, but apparently the fox and collie were inseperable, and their single offspring was the weirdest looking canine in the world. It was there though, and you could see the traits of both parents in it.

Nothing I'd reccomend initiating, though. It must have sucked to be that...thing.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#18]
MMmkay
then the next bet would be
that the offspring was sickly (not viable)
and of course sterile.

There has to be some
major reproductive isolation going
on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
MMmkay
then the next bet would be
that the offspring was sickly (not viable)
and of course sterile.
View Quote

Sterile, most likely, but the thing was as healthy as a horse, and unsociable as a rattlesnake caught in a mousetrap.

It reminded me of a hyena, for some reason...you know how hyenas have such weak hindquarters, and that muscular chest? This canine looked sort of out of proportion.

Wierd things, as always.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had a foxes as pets for years, too.  I had a fennec fox recently - they're from the Sahara Desert.  Foxes are very interesting animals - you'll hear varying opinions of them being canines, canides or felines.  They have aspects of all - kind of a hybrid.  They're screams are weird, aren't they M4??

Here's a pic of my last fox.  Yes, my real name is Fox.  My ancestors got it from hunting them in England.  I just think they're neat animals.

[img]http://www.thefoxs.thefoxs.com/The_Foxes/Cindy___Heidi/Heidi4.jpg[/img]

Black Fox
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]

[img]http://www.thefoxs.thefoxs.com/The_Foxes/Cindy___Heidi/Heidi4.jpg[/img]
"MEOWWW MEOWWW MEOWW
er I mean DROP THE CHALUPA!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top