Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 8:07:40 AM EDT
 NEWARK, N.J. (AP)--A Middle Eastern man arrested by the FBI shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was found dead in his jail cell, authorities said.  

The 55-year-old man, whose identity wasn't immediately released, was found dead Tuesday in his cell at the Hudson County Jail in Kearny. His cause of death wasn't immediately known; an autopsy was to be performed Wednesday by the state Medical Examiner's office in Newark.

He was being held on immigration charges since being taken into custody Sept. 19., authorities said.  "He was picked up during that time they were doing their investigation," Hudson County spokesman Jacob Delemos said. He said he couldn't confirm whether the man was a target of the FBI investigation into the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.  The FBI didn't immediately return calls for comment Wednesday.  

The man had complained recently of pain in his gums, saw a dentist and was given antibiotics "similar to the one they use to treat anthrax," Delemos said. He also said a doctor who examined the man's body told him that preliminary tests showed that the detainee had no signs of anthrax. No prisoners were quarantined, he added.  

Officials haven't made any link between the Sept. 11 attacks and anthrax recently found in New Jersey, New York, Florida and Washington.  Shortly after the man died, jail officials called the Jersey City Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Unit to the facility at about 12:30 p.m. as a precautionary measure.  "According to jail personnel, they wanted haz-mat there just in case there was any anthrax there," said Deputy Fire Director Jose Cruz. "But there wasn't anything for us to do there."  He said the haz-mat crew was let into "a general area" inside the jail, but was not taken to the cell where the inmate died.  "They wouldn't let us into the area where he was," Cruz said. "We considered that a hot zone until we know it's safe."  Cruz said the haz-mat unit didn't perform any cleanup or testing at the site, and returned to its headquarters shortly afterward.  (END) DOW JONES NEWS  10-24-01  11:54 AM- - 11 54 AM EDT 10-24-01

....HHHmmmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Cyanide capsule in a tooth?

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Can anybody say murdered by a fellow prisoner. Come on we all knew these guys were gonna start getting wacked in jail. It happens to alot of scum.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Suffocated while eating his goat steak dinner?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Goat steak sandwich? Naw, spam, spam, spam!!!

Eric The(AsIn'SpicedHam'Spam!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Who cares?????  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
...i was thinking more like he died during "interrogation" wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, this comes just days after the media reports the FBI might resort to "torture" to get info out of these bastards.  [:)]

He'll be missed.  May Allah give him his 70 virgins.  I just hope they are fat, ugly and diseased bitches.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, he didn't die in a 'blaze of glory', so I think the afterlife is going to be a bit of a bear for 'im.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#9]
And suppose he was innocent?  Like the medical resident that our incompetent FBI picked up in TX and dragged off to NYC in shackles?  What then?  Do you still not care RTVT?  Do you not care that due process is completely out the window and our government is exercising its power arbitrarily and without mandate?  You'll care when it's *you* in that cell and *you* can't even get an arraignment, much less post bail.  

They tortured that guy sure as hell.  When it's you in the cell, will you have the guts to not rat out your fellow patriots?  

Most of America's allies have unbelievably bad human rights records--Turkey, Saudi Arabia, China (yes, we're in bed with China), Colombia, the UK, you name it.  What happened to our nation being a beacon and a shining example of freedom and fair treatment?  It's totally out the window.  It's only a matter of time before white people begin to face the same hellish reality that blacks, hispanics, and other "brown" people face every day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And suppose he was innocent?  Like the medical resident that our incompetent FBI picked up in TX and dragged off to NYC in shackles?  What then?  Do you still not care RTVT?  Do you not care that due process is completely out the window and our government is exercising its power arbitrarily and without mandate?  You'll care when it's *you* in that cell and *you* can't even get an arraignment, much less post bail.  
View Quote

First, I find it offensive that you're actually giving kudos' to a suspected terrorist for being tight lipped.

Secondly, are you going to start screaming for the rights of the civilians we're accidentally killing in Afghanistan?  What about those innocent Taliban militia men who have been lied to and are fighting out of ignorance?  Do you want to plead for their security and safety too?

I say we use tactical nukes on those bastards the SECOND we tie the anthrax attacks to even one of them.

I'm sick of this pussy-foot crap.  If this man was sitting there in defiance during interrogation, then in all probability he was guilty as sin.  I'm not talking about him repeatedly saying "I don't know anything", but sitting there not saying a word when asked direct questions... acting defiant.  At that point, screw him and his compatriots.  That's the word I've gotten about some of these mens actions, they are refusing to talk AT ALL.  I say lock them up and throw away the key.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#11]
hope we at least got info (read tortured) of this guy.

on the down side.. If they all die (read kiled)how will the US ever replemsih the convience store managment in this counrty. Given that the middle east has already threathened to cut of the supply.. Hmm    the price we must pay
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]IF[/b] he was refusing to talk [b]AT ALL[/b]
f him.  There's only one reason a person would
refuse to talk at all.  We're at war with these
bastards. Never forget, Never forgive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]
He couldn`t digest that gvmt CHEESE.......[flame]....[puke]....[kill]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[b]IF[/b] he was refusing to talk [b]AT ALL[/b]
f him.  There's only one reason a person would
refuse to talk at all.  We're at war with these
bastards. Never forget, Never forgive.
View Quote

Amen brother.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
We don't know the facts...so far the INS has said he was detained for his legal status in this country, so we don't know that he was a terror suspect.

Something I have learned here since 09/11 is that the premise of "innocent until proven" guilty is thrown out the window for certain groups of people, and that Constitutional rights should not apply to those same people.[V]

I agree that if he was not talking at all, then he was probably involved, but again, WE DON'T KNOW THAT.  If he was answering questions, but not "admiting" anything, then maybe it's because he DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING.

I done edited for grammar.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree that if he was not talking at all, then he was probably involved, but again, WE DON'T KNOW THAT.  If he was answering questions, but not "admiting" anything, then maybe it's because he doesn't know anything.
View Quote

Yup, we're on the same page.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Hint to jailers:

When you can see the end of the broomstick between their teeth, it MAY be in too far.

In light of several recent unfortunate incidents, we ask you to please use better judgement in your broom-raping methodology.  A detailed six-page memo follows.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Most of America's allies have unbelievably bad human rights records--Turkey, Saudi Arabia, China (yes, we're in bed with China), Colombia, the UK, you name it.
View Quote

Can you name five countries which [b]aren't[/b] allies of the United States which have a better human rights record than, say, the UK?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
There is only one problem with physical torture and that is everyone has a point in which they will do or say anything to make the pain stop. The results of physical torture are unreliable for the most part.
Drugs and sleep deprevation are another story....
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is only one problem with physical torture and that is everyone has a point in which they will do or say anything to make the pain stop. The results of physical torture are unreliable for the most part.
Drugs and sleep deprevation are another story....
View Quote

Give them some rohipnol(sp?) and they wont even remember being interrogated...
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder what percentage of middle eastern and or Muslim immigrants enlist in the US armed forces before and after the attack,,also I'd like to know what is the percentage of these people that are willing to fight and die for this great country?  I dare say next to nill,,I can with all honesty doubt that the average, let alone majority of mid east and or Muslim grants are loyal to this country,,they are amoungst a "new breed" of immigrants,,those who want to take from US but not give. Who let them in? Though I know of some Turk Muslims that appear to be loyal,,it would be interesting to see some Turks fight our ememies
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The latest from the Rumor Mill is that he died of heart attack.

At the rate we are bombing them Allah will have to substitute virgins with sheeps.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#23]
"the right to remain silent" "innocent until proven guilty".

I tell ya, you guys are scaring me. Do you support the 2nd ammentment and belive in "the right to keep and bare arms"? Do you belive that right applies to you?

How can you believe that and deny that these other rights apply; to yourself as well as anyone else in our country? I used to fear what the government was doing to our country, now I think the public (read, even a lot of you) may be even worse.

TTYL,
Justin.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
So Trickshot, who are you to make an accusation of torture?  What have you seen or read besides internet articles that can justify your knowledge of prisoner treatment by federal authorities?

Once again you state clearly to us you are a piece of human waste.  

I would like to remind AR15.com users of the time Trickshot said that the shooting of Police Officers could be understandable with all of the DUI checkpoints around. I looked for the original post but it is too old to find with the search or I would have linked it.

The article about possible FBI torturing is a play on information.  The article says that the detainees could be extradited to a country that may use torture techniques.  It does not say that the FBI themselves would torture the inmates.

Trickshot, I must say, Fuck you.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I tell ya, you guys are scaring me. Do you support the 2nd ammentment and belive in "the right to keep and bare arms"? Do you belive that right applies to you?

How can you believe that and deny that these other rights apply; to yourself as well as anyone else in our country? I used to fear what the government was doing to our country, now I think the public (read, even a lot of you) may be even worse.
View Quote

I wasn't aware our rights extended to every person in the world (non-citizens).

Wow, we are a powerful nation!  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Having worked in the Corrections system for the last several years with both Private and State Facilities, I can pretty much say with certainty that the death of the suspect was not a result of mistreatment by Corrections Officers of that jail.

This case is entirely too high profile and the entire County Jail would suffer much scrutiny and would be the subject of many investigations if anything happened to the suspect.

Some have suggested that the prisoner may have been tortured by officers. I seriously doubt it because they know any Federal Agents involved would deny wrong doing and leave the County Jail liable. You can believe that the County Jailers would notice any mistreatment and report it. Remember, until proven guilty, suspects are just that..suspects. They are still innocent. Anyone here who has ever spent the night in the jail because of a misidentification or was falsely accused would understand my comments.

What happened to this suspect?..we can only speculate, but I will say again that it is my belief that the County Jail did not allow the Feds to so call "interrogate" the suspect in a manner that would cause his death without releasing the suspect into Federal Custody.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#28]
osprey21 is correct "not a citizen" so hate say it (not really) the constitution does not apply.  If you're not ready to play hardball, you are'nt going to win any wars.  But alot of people will never get this through their thick f'ing skull.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#29]

I myself have to wonder about these people who are mad about illegal aliens or immigrants rights. Wake up you idiots!!!! These people are not citizens of the United States. They should not automatically get the same privileges that we American citizens have earned. These people are nothing but opportunistic takers of the society that we have created. Most do not pay taxes and would probably run you over to go back home if they were called upon to fight for this country.
    This politically correct bullsh*t is exactly why we are in the fix we find ourselves now. The next time one of you PC'ers start crying about the human rights of these suspects. Ask yourself if your argument would make sense to any of the victims families.......
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I myself have to wonder about these people who are mad about illegal aliens or immigrants rights. Wake up you idiots!!!! These people are not citizens of the United States. They should not automatically get the same privileges that we American citizens have earned. These people are nothing but opportunistic takers of the society that we have created. Most do not pay taxes and would probably run you over to go back home if they were called upon to fight for this country.
    This politically correct bullsh*t is exactly why we are in the fix we find ourselves now. The next time one of you PC'ers start crying about the human rights of these suspects. Ask yourself if your argument would make sense to any of the victims families.......
View Quote

They aren't privileges, they are Rights.
They aren't "earned" they are what every person deserves.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I would second the use of Tactical Nukes and today it hit the media. With the first mention on the nightly news of the possibility of the UNITED STATES GOING NUCLEAR.  I don't know, I think in the long term this thing should be finished conventionally.  Those are some GD tough decisions.  The northern and southern hemispheres might be NOT against it, but china may have something to say about it.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
We don't even know what happend to the guy. We can speculate our asses off. We are not there. They can tell us whatever they want. If the "tortured" him, why say anything.  Seeing the sentiment on this board... you guys don't care if he was guilty.

Linchmob comes to mind.

We don't even know for sure what killed him.

so how does that quote go,,  if yer chicken you dont deserve the freedom
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Held on immigration charges ?
Not a U.S. citizen ?
Suspected enemey operator ?

To use an over used cliche'.. Shit Happens !

Too Bad, So Sad,  On to Baghdad.

View Quote

Yeah!! What he said!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most of America's allies have unbelievably bad human rights records--Turkey, Saudi Arabia, China (yes, we're in bed with China), Colombia, the UK, you name it.
View Quote

AND what country has a human rights record (for it's CITIZENS)that is better than that of the USA??

If one exists why don't you emigrate there???

NO place is perfect BUT I can think of many worse than here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Goodnight suspect:[xx(]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I myself have to wonder about these people who are mad about illegal aliens or immigrants rights. Wake up you idiots!!!! These people are not citizens of the United States. They should not automatically get the same privileges that we American citizens have earned.
View Quote

As OLY-M4gery said, they are rights.  And 90% of the people I see did not "earn" them.  They didn't do shit.  In fact, I would take a guess that naturalized immigrants probably have a higher percentage of registered voters than Americans by birth.  Just a guess, as I have no data to back that up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#37]
The coroner says he died of a heart problem.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20011024/aponline180645_001.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#38]
If he was an AMERICAN CITIZEN I'd be screaming bloody murder but since this guy was not a citizen "all bets are off".I'd rather see his whole stinking country of origin get wiped off the face of the planet before having another American die.And yes I know that one of the "Tangos" was a US citizen and that is just one of the prices we have to pay for our way of life.Being an American is a priveledge that many people from around the world risk their lives to attain and the rights of the citizen always outweigh the rights of the alien,PERIOD!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#39]
GOOD DEAL! Now the tax payers can save 30+thousands of dollars a year keeping another piece of sh!t alive in prison. That reminds me, did I mail off my income tax check for underpayment of taxes this past year? I didn't quite have enough stolen from me this past year so I have to make monthly payments also.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmmm. . . I never said our rights were extended to the whole world. I do belive, they apply to anyone in our country. I also belive, if you are an illegal imigrant, we should detain you for as long as it takes to varify you are here illegally, and deport you. Shouldn't take more than a week. As long as we are detaining you though, you should be treated like anyone else in this country when it comes to the basic rights.

I'm not advocating speacial treatment, feeding them steak, etc, just not tourturing them, not infringing upong thier person, giving them basic food/selter while detaining them, etc.

Also, I don't think this guy was tourtured anyway.

JMO,
Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top