Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/23/2001 6:43:38 AM EDT
If someone wanted to start a career in weapons designs what kinda of degree should the person get? Electrical Engineering Mechanical Engineering Physics Engineering (open ended) Or what?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:49:17 AM EDT
Mechanical Engineering Find a university with a ABET accredited ME program.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:52:54 AM EDT
Mechanical Engineering. Start out by going to a vo-tech taking all the machinist courses you can; While you are attending a university. Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:53:23 AM EDT
we already have enough guns! guns are an evil outmoded idea from hundreds of years ago that people will soon realize we no longer have a need for!
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:54:40 AM EDT
The university will give you the theory and some practical knowledge. The machining school will give you the true ability to creat a rifle or pistol or whatever you want. See various threads on this board concerning member who are using Numerical Control to build recievers. Ben
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:55:41 AM EDT
Smooth .......
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:09:04 AM EDT
If you want to design the next [b]significant[/b] gun, I'd suggest you learn a good bit about electronics and chemistry as well as mechanical engineering. The basic design of modern, cartridge-bearing arms isn't something that is going to lend itself to much in the way of innovation. You, however, might be just the guy to produce the new caseless weapon, or the man-portable railgun, or something like that for which you will be remembered. Think about it. Aren't modern arms just variations on a few themes? Do you want to simply add your voice to that chorus, or do you want to be the featured soloist?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:20:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Golgo-13: If you want to design the next [b]significant[/b] gun, I'd suggest you learn a good bit about electronics and chemistry as well as mechanical engineering. The basic design of modern, cartridge-bearing arms isn't something that is going to lend itself to much in the way of innovation. You, however, might be just the guy to produce the new caseless weapon, or the man-portable railgun, or something like that for which you will be remembered. Think about it. Aren't modern arms just variations on a few themes? Do you want to simply add your voice to that chorus, or do you want to be the featured soloist?
View Quote
I've got a hunch they told John Browning the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:30:56 AM EDT
I have the ME myself and would suggest that, have said that, you will need some flash of brilliance to move things forward. It will take a new look from outside to get anywhere. The book learnin will help you understand the tech part but from that all you would be able to do cut the angle of the bolt at 12 degrees vs 11.5. Neither I nor probably anyone here can guide you to that leap of intuitive knowledge that will get you brilliance. John Browning had it, DiVinci had it (he only painted and chopped stone while he was designing new weapons. best of luck to you while you search and learn. I look forward to shooting you newest (safe) design. TRW
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:51:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TRW822: I have the ME myself and would suggest that, have said that, you will need some flash of brilliance to move things forward. It will take a new look from outside to get anywhere. The book learnin will help you understand the tech part but from that all you would be able to do cut the angle of the bolt at 12 degrees vs 11.5. Neither I nor probably anyone here can guide you to that leap of intuitive knowledge that will get you brilliance. John Browning had it, DiVinci had it (he only painted and chopped stone while he was designing new weapons. best of luck to you while you search and learn. I look forward to shooting you newest (safe) design. TRW
View Quote
I wont promise saftey but ill promise fun.....I wont use animal testing either[:D]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 7:55:26 AM EDT
I would suggest Physics. Physics is a little more theoretical than Mechanical Engineering..BUT you have a stronger theoretical and mathematical foundation and that allows you to be more creative. I have a BS in Physics and a BA in Applied Mathematics. With a Mechanical Engineering Degree you can design a conventional firearm, but you can't design and build dye lasers, or Masers. Though you could build Rail guns and Mass drivers..But with Physics you can do all of that. With Physics you can learn about Electrodynamics and Solid State Physics and design and build electronic Ignition systems. In either case..whatever you decide to study..you will need to take some Machine Shop courses and learn how to operate Milling Machines and Lathes. As well as take some gunsmithing courses.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:02:22 AM EDT
Gunsmithing I have all the basics down just not the equipment or peice of paper saying I know Gunsmithing...Im about to start a course in machining. I have ideas but im not willing to share them (yet) because Im a greedy bastard and I want the credit. My wife is going into the military and giving me a chance to go to school full time and not work. Ill start school in the spring...wish me luck
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:42:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/23/2001 8:39:23 AM EDT by MG_ME]
[left] Id say Mechanical Engineering! but but you need to get into machine shop to learn! ive iam just finishing up Tool and die Tech!(Machine shop School) get a book called Machanical principle's! go to BattleBots.com and look up book's Mechanical principles! and learn from there![/left]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:00:50 AM EDT
What about the McCarrots Institute of Gyroject Technology? [:\]
Top Top