Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 6:01:15 AM EDT
and This thing is not to damn bad AT ALL.

I think I may have found the gun for me guys,I would never think it would be a 9mm but it fits.

I had some +p+ Fed. 115gr. JHP,some UMS 140gr FML and some Wolf.

Standing at 25 yards w/+p+ I shot 1 1/4 2 in. pats.
w/UMC 2 in pats. and about 3 1/2 with the Wolf.

I'm going to take it out to 50 yards Wed. and see what I can do.

This is a very nice gun and ver smooth,call me nuts but I can see way the militiary put away the 1911 for this thing.
I may try out the .40cal down the road but right now I like what I see.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't shoot that +p+ in there too much if you want it to last, unless you have the brigadier slide.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I too was pleasantly surprised at my Beretta's accuracy. Personally I have no interest in moving it up to a 40cal, the 9mm is much cheaper to shoot.

Like the other thread says, limit the +P use. The difference between the 92F & the 92FS is the slide: it was beefed up to prevent (limit) the slide breaking from lots of shooting. >gg<

IMO I would also stay away from Wolf ammo & its steel cases, the cases are hard on extractors.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Santyth is right, unless you want to eat the slide, don't shoot +P+ ammo.  It isn't going to happen right away, but around the 30,000 mark, the slides usually break.

On the other hand, enjoy the heck out of it, it will feed about any ammo out there and should be pretty accurate.

Enjoy,
Ice
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
As to the "beefed up" slides, did Beretta do any other modifications to the pistols?? I had heard that they updated them recently. Also, when did this take place ?? was it by a specific date or by serial number ?? how would you know if you have the updated version or not ?
Lastly, are there any other differences between the 92FS and the M9 other than the markings ??
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
"are there any other differences between the 92FS and the M9 other than the markings "

Not that I can see,I would like to know more about the beefed up slides.
I don't know that just the slide would help that much they had to work on the frame to I would think.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The army and then Berreta put a slide block in so it still falls apart, but it doesn't hurt anybody doing it.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/BerettaNF.html#Beretta92[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The only difference between the early M9/92F and later M9/92FS slide is the addition of a slide stop to the frame and a slot in the slide. The reason the Military chose the 92 was $$$$ they were low bidders. The only good thing about the M9 is that it will go bang when you pull the trgger and is pretty reliable. Accuracy sucks, will hold MOM at 50 yds at least.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I know that the "FS" model was reinforced so that the slide doesn't break and hit you in the face. The slide block was one improvement and I think that the barrel lug was beefed up too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]
The story was from SEALs using subgun rounds.  One of them was hit in the face with the slide after thousands of rounds.  The “F” in 92FS is the frame modification IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
This is just like why some people like anchovies on their pizzas and some don't.

To me, the Beretta is a big ugly clunk of a club.  I don't like the sights or the trigger and I can't hit with one for shyte.  Compare it with a High Power or a Glock, or to be fair, another DA like a Sig or even a Smith and Wesson and I would dump the Beretta in a heartbeat.

Also I have personally seen a locking piece fail on a Beretta and another one fail on a Taurus clone.  But I know Beretta overall has a rep for being as reliable as most.  Kinda surprised they always push their open slide design as being close to jamproof, but their new pistols aren't open slide design.

I am glad yours works for you a2carbine.  As for me, pepperoni please and hold the anchovies.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a new M9 as well. I wanted to have one of each of the US Service pistols, so I got one of the recent 1 in 5000 issue. I really like mine. It shoots very well. Now I have to get a good .45! I also have Glocks, and I do love them, but so far, so good, with my new Beretta. Mags are easier to find than Glock mags, and cheaper, that is for sure! I got some 90% USGI mags for $35, and I have a bunch of NIW stashed away.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You probably can't afford to shoot enough +P+ ammo through that Beretta to make it crack.  The SEALS broke theirs shooting thousands and thousands of overly-hot loads through them.  You probably won't break a 92 in normal use, barring the standard fudge factor that exists for any mechanical object.  I shoot standard 9mm ball for practice and use Cor-bon or Federal 115-grain +P or +P+ loads for carry.  Shoot a box or two of the hot stuff through the gun to make sure it works, then shoot standard-pressure loads for practice, and you'll probably never have a failure.

People seem to either love Berettas or hate them.  I personally love my 92G and will never get rid of it- accurate as heck, and has never, ever jammed on me, even in some serious dust and mud.  Sold all my Glock 9's, still got the Beretta.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm with you, sparky.  I LOVE my 92.. I put one box of Federal Hydra-Shok +p+ through it, and that's what I keep for defense.  For practice and plinking I go through cases and cases of S&B if I've got it, otherwise shoot cheap reloads.

There's only two things I don't like about it.  First, the DA trigger pull is a beast.  I'll send that off to get fixed once I finally get a 1911.  Second, the rear sight has dark red dots on black.  What the hell is that all about?  Usless in low light.  So, I put a LaserMax internal laser on it. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
"I am glad yours works for you a2carbine. As for me, pepperoni please and hold the anchovies"

LOL I know, but it's a new gun for me time will tell.

Now I did only pick this gun for school,If I could have mt way I would pull out the good old Colt Gold mach and say to hell with.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The story was from SEALs using subgun rounds.  One of them was hit in the face with the slide after thousands of rounds.  The “F” in 92FS is the frame modification IIRC.
View Quote

Hence the quote, "You're not a Navy SEAL until you've eaten Italian steel".

Nice accuracy though. The only 92 I've ever shot was at a rental range and I was lucky to get 3" groups at 25 feet. It was a real piece of crap, that's why I've never gotten one. I might have to re-think that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude, never judge by a rental.  I don't think they ever clean those things.  Better to find a friend that owns one. [smash]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Now come man you could get a H&K rental and have it be a piece of crap thas a poor way to judge a gun.

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my 92fs. Accurate, reliable, and smooth. I wouldn't trade it for any standard glock or sig.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Then you guys help me out over here:  [url]http://handguns.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=74[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Now if you really want to sweeten that M9 up, contact [url]http://www.langdontactical.com[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top