Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 1:35:58 PM EDT
I picked up an FAL at a Houston area gunshow recently and after test firing it needs some tweaking.
Last round bolt hold open not working * stock set is hard to see sights with * needs muzzle brake on end of barrell * It looks like the bipod was removed with bolt cutters.          It is on an Imbel receiver and the guy I bought it from said it came from SOG.

Any recommendations on who I could send it to have it checked out and do some tweaking?
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There are many on this site.
Go to the Gunsmithing section
[url]http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/[/url]
cpermd

ps
Just don't get involved in any group buy with JEN.That was a money loser for 33 of the users there,me included.Hurricane involved.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Rich at Century Gun Works put together my kit for me. He did a Fantastic job. Functional and beautiful. I liked his work so much that I had him refinish a bunch of M14 mags for me. They turned out so nice that I had to buy more mags.
They're too nice to use!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I picked up an FAL at a Houston area gunshow recently and after test firing it needs some tweaking.
View Quote

Well, that doesn't really help much - kind of like saying "I picked up a computer at the computer show."  Features, quality of parts and work varies wildly in the FAL marketplace.

Last round bolt hold open not working * stock set is hard to see sights with * needs muzzle brake on end of barrell * It looks like the bipod was removed with bolt cutters.          It is on an Imbel receiver and the guy I bought it from said it came from SOG.
View Quote

Sounds like an early Century Arms L1A1.  In that case, the it doesn't have a bolt hold open on an empty magazine.  If the bolt catch does have the horizontal pin that rides on the mag follower, then you need to adjust your gas system.

And from the other comments it's probably typical of the chimpanzees that Century hired to put together FALs.  I hope you didn't pay more than $450 for it.

Check out http://[url]http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any recommendations on who I could send it to have it checked out and do some tweaking?
View Quote

It IS a Century Arms gun, retired STG58 kit on a Imbel receiver built by morons. Why I recommend people run screaming away from CAI guns.

All is not lost, send it to Entreprise Arms and have them rebuild it and replace all parts that are substandard. Expect to buy a FAL kit as most parts will be replaced. At least parts kits are cheap. Get a NEW part kit from Inter Ordnance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try Derek at Az Expert Arms. He does an excellent job,has all sorts of finishes and acchttp://www.azexarms.com/index.shtmlesories
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.azexarms.com/index.shtml.
Yea I know that my link didn't come out right,I'm still learning the tricks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
how bout

www.azexarms.com

D.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay.  I know that it is a Century Arms gun.
I know that they are chimps. I am aware of how the gas system works and some parts kits had the bolt hold open removed for some reason. I bought it knowing that it would need some help. Hence, the question of who you would recommend to do a good job of bringing it up to speed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Mark at Arizon Response System is a FAL god.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I would recommend you do all repairs yourself. The problem with the bolt hold open is that the British hold open lever does not have the pin that engages the mag floorplate. Get a metric bolt hold open device. Problem solved $4.00 plus shipping. Use DSA. Enterprise ships some really beat stuff for top dollar..... The FAL is really easier to work on than the AR. Any questions Email. Mine shoots really hot. Did it all myself. Plan on spending lots of money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone sell a muzzle brake that does not have to be threaded on.  I know it doesn't really need one, it just doesn't look right without something on the end.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If I had an FAL, I'd send it to AZEX regardless of whether or not I thought it needed work.

Derek knows those rifles better than I know myself.

[url]www.azexarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an A.R.S. built STG-58 and all I can say is that it is flawless in every way. He does magnificent work.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
If you live near Houston you should try
[url]www.vandenbergcustom.com[/url]

He does FAL work now too.

At the last big Astrohall show he had a
couple FAL's including a 26" HB that was
.5 MOA at 100yrds.

Nice Guy too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top