Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Canadian Military Beret it would be less offensive [:D]

edited because I'm a bonehead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get a Canadian Military Beret it would be less offensive [:D]

Yeah, but less offensive to who? I'd hate to piss off the Canadians too....

Michael
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
How to fit a beret:

Get yourself a 100% wool beret

wet the beret and slowly shave it until it is not longer fuzzy, be careful as to not slice the beret.  you might have to use 2 or 3 razor blades...optimally it should be like car-seat upholstery.

next put it on your head...center the flash (or were the flash would be) over your left eye and put the edge of the beret 1 inch above the center of your pupil.  next tighten the strings in the back tight as hell or else they will come loose later and tie the ends in a square knot.  cut the ties ends to about 1 inch and carefully tuck the rest of the ends back into the leather headband

NOW this is the TRICKY part:
wet the beret throughly, take the beret and put it down on a flat object with the botom down and flatten it out...now take it and put it on your head...don't pull it down just place it on your headlike a piece of paper...now, flip the flash upwards so it make a nice sharp crease

hold the crease and take off the beret...still holding it pull it over your head the way you want to wear it...now start stretching it and forming it on your head...one side should fall over your right ear and pull and stretch it so the beret is taunt...get all the creases off and carefully take it off and let it dry overnight....wet and form a few times more and it will be stiff and ready to go

Dan
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always liked the look of military berets but would never wear one because I thought it was offensive to the SpecOps community to wear their "badge" of distinction.
View Quote

I wouldn't wear one for fear of being mistaken for a mime.  [:o)]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Striker's pretty well got it down as to how to fit the Canadian military issue beret.  I used to use a "mini basketball" to sit mine on when I would be in the process of forming one (when I didn't have it on my head).  The basketball helped keep the shape of the beret while it dried.  If you can, try to locate a Canadian military issue beret - it'll save you having to shave the thing before forming it.

hsld.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, now that that's settled....

Does anyone know how to tie an ascot?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
the ascot has snaps in the back

former sp
john
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
These things sound like an awful lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Cut the lining out, then size it to you head and then tie the cord in a double knot. dampen it and roll it with the flash in and put rubber bands around it. Leave ot like that for a day or two, make sure to smooth it out while wearing it. The worst thing you can do is have a beret that looks like the ones that you see in the movies. And make sure that you keep it rolled when you are not wearing it untill you have it "trained".  
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Should one wear an ascot in a color that matches one's smoking jacket or in a color that complements it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#13]
That depends on the season, of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Got interns working for you? [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top