Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2001 10:27:41 AM EDT
Sec. of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was a bit taken by surprise during todays briefing. A reporter ACTUALLY asked why the special forces in operation last weekend did not take a reporter along. Rumsfeld tried to explain that when you parachute into a hostile area at night with a small group of soldiers,expecting to encounter enemy soldiers and kill them, you dont exactly want to have to babysit a reporter.
Incredibly, the reporter didnt get it and pressed his question. Rumsfeld couldnt believe it and said something to the effect..I cant believe I'm answering this question.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
BP
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I would have let one of those commie reporters go there, get their silly little @ss blown off, and that would be that.  I would suprise me about those kinds of stupid question, I saw them during the Gulf War, these people don't do very much research homework, unlike the older ones.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard that to and i'm still laughing my ass off. I can't believe how incredibly STUPID some people are! It truly is mind boggling.

What they should do is round up all these dumbass reporters and push them out of aircraft without any parachute.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping he'd ask the guy if HE wanted to jump with them. You know, its only at night into a hostile area. Nothing difficult.
I have about twenty sport jumps at night-its always scary at night-nevermind into a shooting war.I would pay big bucks to see his face at the gate of the C-130!
BP
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Suit him up and ship him out.  Get a pic of his face for a laugh.

Really, Rumsfeld should keep the battlecry of "No more War by CNN".  The media should get its info after it happens not before.

Ice
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I say we round 'em all up, issue them one of those dangerous Daisy assault air powered instruments of violent death, and drop 'em over prime Taliban hunting grounds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I get to shoot the video and take the pics!
I'm not gettin out though. 500feet is a bit low for my gear.If he goes around for another pass abit higher, say 2500feet.....maybe. 'Course I get to bring my weapons.In this case my "sword" would be mightier than his pen.
BP
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Its the Army's own fault.  They dont keep contact with reporters who could go in, and they dont let reporters carry rifles, many of the reporters that went into combat in WWII also fought as riflemen.  

It is very sad how times have changed.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was funny when they where asking how we would suppply and assist the Northern Alliance.  I think the reporter actucally thought they should and would answer the question.  Something like, "We will be dropping arms and material by parachute at 0245 at long XXXX  lat XXX.  The aircraft will be flying at aprroximately 10,000-feet."  WTF
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not for nothin', but IIRC reporters DID jump into Normandy on D-Day.  Not to mention on the beaches as well.
Ernie Pyle was killed on the front lines.  Don't recall any bitches about needing to nursemaid him.

Then again, that was a different time.
View Quote

A different time, indeed.. Not to mention, things weren't broadcast to the entire world immediately.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
  Why not a reporter???   Give him or her a video camer and a rifle.  I'm sure there'd be someone who can jump, shoot and such.  I quess you could edit what gets reported.
   Find someone who could hack it and let him go!!!  Why are you guys afraid of the media???

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Most reporters seem pretty stupid. My favorite was the day of the World Trade Center attack right after they grounded all of the airlines. The talking head came on and she was talking about how all of the planes had been grounded and that there would be no more flights for an indefinate time and that all of the airports were now shutdown. She went on to say that despite the shutdown, all planes currently in the air would be allowed to go ahead and land.

How F-ing stupid is that? Like the government would just close all of the airports and just let all of the planes flying run out of fuel and crash.....

Michael
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not for nothin', but IIRC reporters DID jump into Normandy on D-Day.  Not to mention on the beaches as well.
Ernie Pyle was killed on the front lines.  Don't recall any bitches about needing to nursemaid him.

Then again, that was a different time.
View Quote

A different time, indeed.. Not to mention, things weren't broadcast to the entire world immediately.
View Quote

No one said anything about LIVE broadcasts, I ment send a print reporter.  Pyle, Tregaskis et al in WWII were print men.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top