Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 3:17:41 AM EDT
...this year. At least the door-to-door trick or treating part.

Why? Well just think of the possibilities for...

[url]http://www.bergen.com/news/candy1200110207.htm[/url]

even more burdening of our public health depts, EMS, emergency rooms, police depts, et al.

From the article:

[size=4][b]Large candy purchases investigated by FBI[/b][/size=4]
[i]Saturday, October 20, 2001
By MITCHEL MADDUX and PETER POCHNA
Staff Writers[/i]

The FBI said Friday that it is investigating the cash purchase of "large quantities" of candy from Costco stores in Hackensack and Wayne.

"We have been advised and we are looking into the incident of a gentleman buying large quantities of candy," said Sandra Carroll, an FBI spokeswoman in Newark.

Carroll declined to identify the purchaser, but indicated that he is in federal custody for immigration law reasons not related to the purchase of the candy.

"I cannot comment on INS detainees," Carroll said.

Carroll said it would be premature to draw conclusions about the purchaser's intent for the candy, which agents had not found by Friday night. She declined to describe the candy.

"We have no evidence or information for us to suspect there is any reason to cancel scheduled events," Carroll said when asked if the FBI had concerns about the safety of Halloween. "However, the public is encouraged to remain alert but calm."

[size=4]Pretty scary stuff, huh?[/size=4]

Eric The(NeverLetMyHunnysGoTrickOrTreatingNow)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Screw the candy...What about the kegs man...what about the kegs.

On a serious note I'm going to say that it would be the most heinous act in the history of this country that a group a terrorists would target our most precious demographic...our children.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
That's precisely WHY steps must be taken that not only does the unthinkable not happen, but that the very threat that it could happen might somehow divert our attention from other matters!

You know that there's a report in one of the large newspapers that it's 'business as usual' regarding the granting of visas in Saudi Arabia?

I'm looking for [u]that[/u] story now.

Eric The(Investigative)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
[:(]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF!!!!! I thought we all agreed not to post this silly type of trash rumor! We spread more terroistic shit than osam ever dreamed of. We all know its not substantiated and we still post it WHY???
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Taking your kids door to door to the homes of known neighbors is an American birthright. Exercise the same caution you would every year. Do not send your kids to the doors of people not familiar to you.

The above is certainly safer than the idiotic lets get candy from people we don't know earning miniumum wage at the shopping mall idea.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Post from paterpk -
WTF!!!!! I thought we all agreed not to post this silly type of trash rumor! We spread more terroistic shit than osam ever dreamed of. We all know its not substantiated and we still post it WHY???
View Quote

Sorry, I musta' been out back feeding the hogs when this 'agreement' was worked out. Besides, I figure if the story was sufficient to bring out the FBI and cause an arrest of an illegal, what's the 'rumor' aspect of the post?

Insofar as being unsubstantiated, what more do you need?  Even the FBI thought it was enough to go out and investigate!

BTW, did they [b]ever[/b] find that candy????

Eric The(ISupposeWe'llNeverKnow)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool. Its a Satanic holiday. Get rid of Mardi Gras too.Try sobriety on New Years Eve.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Candy????
You are supposed to give candy???
Shucks I give Raman Noodles or Cup a soup ... you should see the remarks ... esp the girls .. they get to choose which flavour ...

Last year I gave ear plugs... one kid asked to have a set for his dad too ...

Ted...
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just dress up in BDUs, LBEs and carry your rifle.  It will be pretty obvious what you are.

If the cops ask, just claim to be NG patrolling.  [:D]

- wow, someone buying candy for halloween.  What a scary crime.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Post from fight4yourrights -
- wow, someone buying candy for halloween. What a scary crime.
View Quote

I seriously doubt the FBI was investigating the matter because they thought there was nothing to it - they were already investigating this man's purchase, having been alerted by the store clerk.

The fact that the purchaser was an illegal alien - doesn't that chap your butt just a little right there?

Eric The(JustGatherThemUpAndSend'EmHome)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are my suggestions.

Ban turkey, ham, yams, and any other popular foods eaten on Thanksgiving as these items would have a high probability of tampering.

Ban christmas trees. There would be a very high risk of the trees being contaminated with a toxin, especially if flocking is added.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just dress up in BDUs, LBEs and carry your rifle.  It will be pretty obvious what you are.

If the cops ask, just claim to be NG patrolling.  [:D]
View Quote

It's funny how you think as a gun owner. A few of years ago I was walking around with my daughter on Halloween and I noticed another grownup with the butt of a gun sticking out of his pocket. I thought, cool, one of the nieighbors is carrying too. Then I looked at his kid's costume and saw it was a cowboy outfit, with no toy gun in the holster!

Interesting thing in my neighborhood now. We have a ton of high tech companies in our town, and my neighborhood is full of programmers and engineers, almost all of them are Russian, Japanese and yes, Middle-Eastern. I will be looking at Halloween through different eyes this year.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Post from Imbroglio -
Ban turkey, ham, yams, and any other popular foods eaten on Thanksgiving as these items would have a high probability of tampering
View Quote

Well, if little kids went door-to-door picking up these items for Thanksgiving Dinner, I might have to agree with you![:D]

Eric The(PainMeThoughItWould)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I seriously doubt the FBI was investigating the matter because they thought there was nothing to it - they were already investigating this man's purchase, having been alerted by the store clerk.
View Quote

I don't know, they closed down a wing of our airport for a coffee creamer anthrax scare.  I hear one airline has banned coffee creamer.

Hysteria is running high
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have a few bags of pre-ban snickers and low-cap kit-kats for sale 'cheap' if anyone is interested.

Also if you send me a dept. letterhead or signed copy of an FFL I can get you some LE only Hersey bars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Post from Imbroglio -
Ban turkey, ham, yams, and any other popular foods eaten on Thanksgiving as these items would have a high probability of tampering
View Quote

Well, if little kids went door-to-door picking up these items for Thanksgiving Dinner, I might have to agree with you![:D]

Eric The(PainMeThoughItWould)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Well...just a suggestion...if you plan to be so generous this year.  Hand out Honey Baked Ham/turkey certificates.  And please mail one to me...Mmmmmmmmmmm Honey baked ham [^]

Retaining a large amount of these precious delicacies without refrigeration could be fatal to unsuspecting consumers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also if you send me a dept. letterhead or signed copy of an FFL I can get you some LE only Hersey bars.
View Quote

Are those like the Hershey bars they have at Sams that weigh 5 pounds?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if Imbroglio is going to be investigated for his large purchases of kettle corn... [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Even before the NJ story, Halloween was going to be toned down at my place.

There will probably be something happen, somewhere.  But fear should not run our lives.

A certain amount of caution is in order, which has been pretty much covered above, other than that I would say avoid large gatherings.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fear-mongering is not good, I agree, but you're sounding like a one-note tune between this post and the one in the airline security thread.

And speaking of "unsubstantiated", maybe you should check your 'facts', or go complain to the media about their 'making up this silly type of trash rumor'.  If they bother to respond to you, let us know.  I was going to suggest you ask the FBI, but they're too busy with reality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...my neighborhood is full of programmers and engineers, almost all of them are Russian, Japanese and yes, Middle-Eastern. I will be looking at Halloween through different eyes this year.
View Quote

...and would that be round, almond or veiled eyes? [(:|)]

Isn't it great that we are now suspicious of even Halloween candy, let alone our neighbors that were of no concern just a while ago?
Rightfully so, but, whatta damn shame, huh?[:\]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
We have already planed our night out.

First we go all over the place and get as much candy as we can carry. Let the kids have all the fun they can stand but do not let them eat anything untill I "inspect", Then just trash all the free candy and replace it with the candy I bought myself at the store.

Problem solved of someone messing with the candy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top