Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 2:50:04 PM EDT
Just got back from the gunshow at the Victorville Ca. fairgrounds.
I was checking out prices on the (few) AR uppers they offered. Stinking complete uppers with bolts were in the 500 dollar range.  Friggin uppers without the bolt assy were in the 400 dollar range. Why so damn much money? I can afford the money, but it just pisses me off that charge so much.
I have one complete AR and two complete lowers, which I bought in 1999, just to stay ahead of the law. I'd like to buy 2 more uppers, but its hard for me to see shelling that kind of money out.
Especially when I saw brand new Norinco Sks'
going for around 250 dollars. I can buy two brand new SKS' just for the price of one AR15 upper receiver!  They also had complete AK parts kits there for 199 dollars. I should have bought 2 AK receivers back in 99 instead of 2 AR receivers. At least that way I would have been able to complete my rifles without having that sensation that I just got screwed in the ass on the price.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the AR is more expensive.  On some things you get what you pay for.

I have experience with the AR, the SKS, and the AK.

Prices have gone up as of late due to the events of September 11th, if you've been to a gunshop lately, they are packed!   Demand for ARs is way up.

But, they are more expensive, they have more difficult machining and more machined parts than an AK or SKS.  Kind of a fact of life.  I could never get an SKS or an AK to group as well as an AR though, so it all depends on what you want.

You could always sell the lower and buy an SKS or an AK if you wish too. They are good guns too.

Understand the money complaint, just the nature of the beast.  You also have the benefit of knowing the AR wasn't manufactured by some working for 50 cents a week....
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
An AR15 is really accurate, that is probably why they are so expenisive.  But AKs are just cool as hell and a norinco sks is pretty sweet too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I am currently looking at a catalog I, well...., aquired while at my dads house yesterday.  They are selling AR15 A2's for $499 produced by Federal Arm's Corp.  Also have AK's for $250.  Think I'll make a post to see if anybody has dealt with these ppl before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I really don't consider $500 all that much for a [i]quality[/i](Bushmaster/Armalite/etc) upper with bolt carrier.  The price may be a little high but not by much.  Yes you can get two AKs and two SKS rifles for that price.  But with the AR your groups will easily be 4 times better.  I own all three types of rifles and the AR is by far the best in many areas, plus it holds better resale value IMHO.

In short, each rifle has it's purpose.  But try hitting a squirrel at 200 yards with an AK or a SKS....I doubt you could it.  With an AR however it's a piece of cake [sniper]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Its just that here in Kali, I can't get an AK.

I guess I'm just mad cause I've got 2 complete AR lowers sitting in my closet, not doing me any good, and I know it's going to cost me a Grand to finish them off. And then I find out that I could have 2 brand new Sks for the price of 1 AR upper receiver.
But I guess hindsight is always 20-20. Its just at the time I bought my ARs, I was fairly new to guns. Without doing much research, I decided to purchase the only type of rifle I was familiar with, the AR15.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why so damn much money?

Especially when I saw brand new Norinco Sks'
going for around 250 dollars.
View Quote

Dude, you are saying

"[>(]Waaaaaahhhhhhh[>(] AR's are expensive! I can get 2 SKS's for the price of an AR! "

Er, well, yeah. You can. That's why the SKS is the official rifle of the trailer park millitia [:E]. It is an inferior rifle.
You aparently haven't grasped the concept of "you get what you pay for"

May I recomend a nice Hi-Point carbine. After all. You can get 3 of them for teh price of an AR upper [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But try hitting a squirrel at 200 yards with an AK or a SKS....I doubt you could it.  
Sgtar15
View Quote

Sure I could, eventually the 100 or 200th round might get him!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Not that I dont love ARs. I do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to buy 2 more uppers, but its hard for me to see shelling that kind of money out. Especially when I saw brand new Norinco Sks'
View Quote

Kia or Cadillac.  It sucks, but what ya gonna do?  I hate compromising.

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You can get uppers from Model 1 Sales for $285 (less carrier and charger) if you are on a limited budget... look in the Shotgun News.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sit on your money and wait. Like MATT_S said 9/11 has the prices up. Give it a month and the uppers will be right back where they were!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But try hitting a squirrel at 200 yards with an AK or a SKS....I doubt you could it.  
Sgtar15
View Quote

Sure I could, eventually the 100 or 200th round might get him!
View Quote

LOL......yeah, I guess so.  But if that damn squirrel stays still for the 200th round to hit him he's probably already dead.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/hamstergerbil.gif[/img][sniper]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Carrot Luvver- Yeah, I guess I am pissing and moaning.
I have to laugh, you see, because I can easily afford AR15s, but have the common sense to question what I could have gotten instead. Also, I would'nt consider the SKS to be trailer park.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"[>(]Waaaaaahhhhhhh[>(] AR's are expensive! I can get 2 SKS's for the price of an AR! "

Er, well, yeah. You can. That's why the SKS is the official rifle of the trailer park millitia [:E]. It is an inferior rifle.
You aparently haven't grasped the concept of "you get what you pay for"

View Quote

Damnit! A SKS is the only damn military semi-auto that I would be able to afford and yet I still can't find one in my price range!!!!! Mean! Mean! Mean!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I think what did me in was when I was at the gun show, and this one guy had AR parts for sale, including upper receivers. Well like I said, the going rate for the complete uppers were around 500 dollars. Since I need to get a couple uppers, I was thinking about buying.

Then, I ambled over to the next table, and the guys there were selling brand new Norinco SKS for around 250 bucks. These rifles were beautiful. The wood was beautiful and even the oil smelt great. I started thinking about purchasing this brand new rifle that I could go out and shoot right away, for about half the price of a complete AR15 upper.
I think the rifle was trying to seduce me!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think the rifle was trying to seduce me!
View Quote

I hate it when they do that!  Unfortunately for the pocketbook, they are often VERY successfull!

edited because my mind was ahead of my fingers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Krakatoa -

It really is as simple as "you get what you pay for".  The AR15 is a far better weapon than an SKS.  Would you rather have quality or quantity?  A good Sig, Walther, or Glock will cost as much as about a dozen Lorcins, but which would you rather have if your life depended on a good, accurate, functioning firearm?  An AR will cost you more, but you're paying for quality and accuracy.  So you could have only two AR15's for the cost of a half dozen SKS's.  Big deal - none of those SKS's will outshoot one of the AR15's (unless it was some half-assed hack-job).

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, you come off sounding like a big crybaby to me. So what if you can get an SKS for $250? If it was an SKS you wanted, why didn't you get it?

I mean really. If you don't think that the AR is a much better weapon for the price, than sell your lowers and quit fucking whining. Check out the subguns website, you can dump them there.

AR's are more expensive because they are better made, you can do so much more with them, they're ALOT more accurate, and they're made in the US.

What part of that equation don't you understand?

Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The notion that a AR is too damn expensive just mystifies me.

Considering what a REAL AR-15 can do, in other words Hesse rifles from Federal Arms don't count, and compared with other rifles with similar performance records, the AR-15 is a goddamn bargain.

It comes down to this. Either you can afford it or you cannot afford it. PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, you can get five Davis derringers for the price of one AR upper. Which would you rather have?  

I guess you'll have a fit when you start pricing mags too:  "I can get three USA mags for the price of one used Colt mag."
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#21]
What is this "AR OR SKS"? It should be "AND"
Everybody needs at least one SKS!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What is this "AR OR SKS"? It should be "AND"
Everybody needs at least one SKS!
View Quote

I'll pass on the SKS. I already have an AK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top