Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2001 9:19:25 AM EDT
First let me say that this is a great site for all kinds of info!I can wait to sign on each day.Anyway i am looking to buy my first AR.I went to the MICHIGAN GUN AND KNIFE SHOW last weekend to see what was there in AR`S,and there were many to choose from.But confused about what the difference is between an A2 or A3 upper,what kind of grips they have.that sort of thing.I had a great time fondling the guns,and can`t wait to get one i just want to make sure what i am buying,i only want one to target shoot and to play around with nothing to serious.I hope someone can help me,THANKS!

[%{]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]

[%(]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
How much are you willing to spend? You might want to see if the LEGPs are still available. They are a great deal and according to people who have gotten them also excellent quality and were about $650.

That's mostly if you want an M4gery. The equivelent Bushmaster is gonna run you around $800-$900.

I'd get a Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt. Maybe a DPMS but don't know too much about them.

You also need to figure out what style you want. A smaller light weight version or a bigger one for long range shooting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
An A2 upper is the standard upper with a carry handle.  The A3 upper has a removable handle. The advantages of this being able to remove the handle to add optics such as a scope or night vision that may be too high when mounted on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Wanna know a secret?

If you aren't a dedicated shooter, and you aren't totally financially secure, you will wind up selling it within a year.

When you do, keep me in mind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help.And to MR. CARROTS i do love shooting,i have a 30-30 winchester,m-44,and a 12ga.But if i do sell it you`ll be the first to know.

[%(]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ivanhoe, I am relatively new to ARs myself but getting wiser all the time because of this site.

The AR by design is a relatively accurate gun, so most any AR wil be plenty accurate for target shooting and general blasting.  So unless you plan on doing serious long range target shooting, you don't need to buy the full length barrel.  With that in mind, buy whatever overall length appeals to you.  

Alot of people on this board decide on the configuration of their AR simply based on what they want it to look like, especially if its just for blastin.

As stated above, an A2 upper has the carry handle, and the A3 is removable.  Not all A3 uppers include the removable carry handle in the price so keep this in mind.  Also if you get the A3 without the carry handle then you won't have any rear sight so you'll have to do something about that.

Grips, there are alot of choices for the furniture on an AR.  Maybe you could be a little more explicit in what your question is about this.  Depending on wether you build a kit or buy a rifle, you may be limited in your choices of furniture.

My best advice would be to ask alot of questions, and read alot of posts here to make sure you understand your options.  I think you'll find most people here to be very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the 1st post-ban A2 standard 20" bbl. and a dozen mags with a case of ammo you can get a good deal on.
Don't sweat the small stuff; you can change configurations later.
Get the gun/mags/ammo ASAP and go shooting.
I recommend Bushmaster.
Whatever you can hurry up and get will do.
Everyone wants an AR15 right now...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You will get alot of kind, excellent advice here.  If you want to be told about one particular gun that exemplifies the AR15 and is of the highest quality, is very accurate and a general bargain, that gun would be the Bushmaster XM15-E2S with a 20" heavy barrel and A2 sight.  I would base your purchase, regardless of make or configuration, in reference to this rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will get alot of kind, excellent advice here.  If you want to be told about one particular gun that exemplifies the AR15 and is of the highest quality, is very accurate and a general bargain, that gun would be the Bushmaster XM15-E2S with a 20" heavy barrel and A2 sight.  I would base your purchase, regardless of make or configuration, in reference to this rifle.
View Quote

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just DON'T buy an Olympic Arms under any circumstances or for any price.  if you do you'll be using this website to diagnos all of your malfunctions.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Hrmmm I have had 2 Olys and no malfunctions with either one after several thousand rounds..

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#13]
An A2 20" is a great place to start. Plus plenty of mags and ammo to boot. I know this has been said before, but I think it's good advice. And as pointed out before, you can change your mind later if you decide you want a different configuration, one of the many great things about this rifle.

As far as manufacturer, I'd go with Bushmaster on a postban. You could go with other brands for more money, but IMHO Bushmaster is just as good for the money. If you go Bushy, I don't think you'll regret it. Either way, good luck.

Edited because I can.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey ivan what part of michigan are you in i might be able to direct you to some excellent gun stores to help you addiction.

I got into the AR15 boat back in early 93 when slick was just starting all of his nonsense.

I suggest you look at bushmaster,armalite,and rock river arms. in the standard a2 configuration.
the a1's are the older style rifles that have the triangular hand gards and are for the most part only elevation adjustable

Flat tops are nice but unless your going to build a tack driving space gun save your money and buy a few more magazines and ammo.

besides flat top ar's are ilegal in service rifle competition. Somthing i find every ar-15 owner wants to try at least once.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey guys thanks for all the help!I live in kingston which is north of Lapeer and South of Caro.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Ivanhoe; start off with the Bushmaster A2 20"! It is a superb weapon and a great shooter! That rifle will be always be your first love. You will find that you will own more than one AR before its all over with anyway! LOL. [bounce]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top