Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2001 9:06:35 AM EDT
Just watching MSNBC... they were talking about the rifles the US is carrying.  Started talking with some military "expert"

They discussed the "M4" rifle, stated 1000 rounds a minute...

Isn't that a little fast?  I thought it was closer to 600 rds/min.

and then they showed a picture of it.

Except, the picture was a supressed HK MP5!!!

It seems like the media always does this.  They can't ever get gun facts right.  This has to be done on purpose, nobody could be that incompetent.

What is the benefit of them always showing the wrong picture?  Is it that they hate the "evil black rifle" so much, that they only want to show a picture of it when it is a BAD story, like a gang shooting... and not a good one, like what is supporting our troops?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
[V]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Kinda makes you wonder what else they fuck up reporting about, doesn't it?
Devil's in the details....
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#4]
#1, you still watch that crap?

#2, if #1 is true, you expect that they'll do an accurate, honest story sometime in the next, oh, 10 years?

Can you please send a baggie of the stuff you're smoking over so I can enjoy some as well?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, you must be mistaken.  They [i]can't[/i] be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
igotdoo -

I got you beat.  On the local news they were talking about the terrorist bombing trial in Manhattan.  Reporter talks about cops being armed with "10 gauge shotguns" while the video feed shows a guy with an MP5A3.

Gee whiz - so when did HK come out with a 10 gauge MP5?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, Shaggy I want one of those. I'll have to check my local gunshop.

[insert laughing sound here]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#8]
MP5s??? It ALWAYS seems to be an AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE around here.

Real story involving Mossberg Shotgun will be reported as a 12 ga AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.

Real story involving a 9mm Glock will be reported as a 9mm AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.

Real story involving thrown cans and bottles will be reported as a AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gee whiz - so when did HK come out with a 10 gauge MP5?
View Quote

So where can I get one of those?

They might be a little hard to control, but I bet I could still one hand it like in the movies.[8D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
MP5s??? It ALWAYS seems to be an AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE around here.

Real story involving Mossberg Shotgun will be reported as a 12 ga AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.

Real story involving a 9mm Glock will be reported as a 9mm AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.

Real story involving thrown cans and bottles will be reported as an AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE.
View Quote

Same here.  

Marlin M60 .22s are assault weapons too, ya know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They might be a little hard to control, but I bet I could still one hand it like in the movies.[8D]
View Quote

That would rip my scrawny arm right out of its socket.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems like the media always does this.  They can't ever get gun facts right.  This has to be done on purpose, nobody could be that incompetent.
View Quote

That always confounded me.  I mean even a broken clock is right twice a day!  But the media outlets I've seen continue to amaze me.

Get this:

After years of putting in the word "clip" instead of "magazine" there was a story about a guy who was smuggling in M1 Garands and Garand equipment from Canada.  The one time I found where they could have correctly used the term "clip" and wouldn't ya' know it, they used the word "magazine!"

When they're so far off about the few things I do know something about, it makes me wonder how accurate they are on other things...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#13]
It's rather unfortunate that we cannot rely on the media for accurate reporting, since we certainly aren't going to get a better rendition via word of mouth.

It all boils down to people not knowing what the hell they are talking about. It always has, always will!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Typical media reporting.  They always have to sensationalize the facts when talking about gun crime.  In this case they are doing a documentary and still can't get the facts right.  It's all about ratings.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#15]
The Weapons of the United States
By Shilock Goldstien
AP Newswire

Come with us as we take an in depth look at the weapons used by Americans of all shades- in all capacitys....

The AR15- A fully automatic high capacity assauly weapon capable of holding as many os 300 bullets per clip- and accurate to ranges of over a mile. It is used by the US Military, and by street gangs, who call it by it's street name- "The AK47"

The M4- Simply a smaller version of the AR15, this weapon has a reduced capacity of a mere 150 bullets in the clip- a folding stock- laser scopes- and accurate out to ranges of 1000 yards.
This weapon is preferred by terrorists due to it's compact size- They refer to it as the "AK47"

The Glock- A ceramic and plastic gun firing high capacity cop killer bullets made in  Germany and made to be used with a silencer. Prefered by street gangs and terrorists, is can pass through airport metal detectors undetected.
It's street name is the "UZI"

The Beretta- In service with out US millitary, this highpoweredninemillimetersemiautomatichighcapacitypistol is prefered by those going on workplace rampages, since it can be used as a blunt force weapon after it has run out of ammo due to it's size. It's street name is "The UZI"

The Shotgun- Going by many breand names, and seemingly harmless enough, the same shotgun your grandpa uses to hunt bunnies is also one of the most lethal tools on earth.
Able to take out 50 people with a single shot, it comes in 2 primary brands.
Remington, favored by Police Forces, serious civillian shooters, and Elite soldiers-
and
The Mossberg- chosen bu the US Military, and Negro gang members.

The UZI- Used in 95% of all crimes, the UZI machine gun is the most commonly found weapon in any criminal situation (Or, at least that's how we report it). Being able to fire 3097 rounds per minute with no recoil and unlimited capacity, it is readily available to gang members, terrorists, and children who frequent gun shows.
It has the ability to tear through armor, and can be used to bring down low flying aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#17]
It is clear the news media is loose as a goose with the facts.  It sure gives media a bad image from knowledgeable people, but I am betting the media thinks the average Joe or Josephine on the street really don't care what image they see as long as they show them something.  This kind of reporting give new meaning to "these peope don't know the difference between a broomstick and a buttstock."
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I witnessed an episode one day. Several nit wits on a cheap old Yamaha motorcycle came up to a house and started throwing rocks through the windows. Guess their drunken minds thought this was good. Anyway homeowner steps out with an old Marlin bolt action shotgun with a adjustable chocke on it and fires when drunken bums refuse to leave and start throwing rocks at him. Police were called and witnesses were asked what happened. Most all (excepting yours truly) reported the bad gun used in shooting. I told officers that it was a Marlin shotgun with adjustable chocke on it. Rest of the crowd was mad at me because they said it was an assault rifle because of the big black thing on the end of the barrel. Not just the media who is crazy. Emotion guided idiots who have no gun knowledge hurt the gun owners through ignorance. People also didn't see how the homeowner could just shoot at these fellows who were trying to bash homeowners head in with a rock. Well maybe next time it will be them. Homeowner wasn't charged, nitwits were later convicted.
PS homeowner just shot in front of these fellows or they would have been in deep trouble, they had only one or 2 pellets in their legs to show for their stupidity.Oh yeah! They wrecked their Yamaha on the way out so it was easy for LEO's to nab them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#19]
The M4 = a fully automatic bolt action muzzle loading revolver that is belt fed and is easily adapted to accept grenades, cruise missles and tactical nukes.

The C-130 gun ship = a new tool in the arsenal of the US military. It is a slow flying prop driven cargo plane modified with disruptor beams and cloaking technology.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
#1, you still watch that crap?

#2, if #1 is true, you expect that they'll do an accurate, honest story sometime in the next, oh, 10 years?

Can you please send a baggie of the stuff you're smoking over so I can enjoy some as well?
View Quote

What he said.

havoc
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I_LOVE_CARROTS,......
You forgot about the Barrett 50 calibre assault rifle. A devastating weapon used by the U.S. Military to kill enemy tanks, airplanes, and small to medium sized buildings. This weapon is also a favorite of gang members, muggers, and of course [b]TERRORISTS[/b] because of its incredible destructive ability, ease of concealment, availability of various ammo types including: exploding rounds, armor peircing rounds, cop killer bullets, and low yield nuclear warhead rounds.
Perhapse the most alarming thing about these weapons of mass destruction however,...Is the fact that they are readily available to the general public, and can be found for sale on the internet for as little as thirty dollars.
Thankfully our government, Henry Waxman in particular (realizing that dozens of small children lose their lives every day because of these 50 calibre assault rifles) has taken the first step towards legislation that will ban these weapons from the hands of everyone except the military, and foreign freedom fighters who may wish to purchase them from our government.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to believe most things in the media when I was younger. I started skydiving 19 years ago and started noticing that the media never seemed to report us correct. Usually its only when there's a fatality when they bother to report us at all. I've been interviewed numerous times by print an television types and even if you GIVE them the facts, they cant get it right. It seems simple to you and I, but they get back to the studio or whatever and their editors take over or their notes look too confusing. With no real knowledge to back them up, they just wing it, truth be damned. I have even taken reporters up on tandem jumps, so you know they HAVE EVEN EXPERIENCED IT, but they still get the details wrong. Sometimes you can tell they just made it up, sometimes you can see where the editor cut out a piece, sometimes where yuo can see they missed a detail in their notes. I know it sounds like I'm defending them. I suppose I am, but in the way that you say "Dont hit the dog" because he's too dumb to know any better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That always confounded me.  I mean even a broken clock is right twice a day!  But the media outlets I've seen continue to amaze me.

Get this:

After years of putting in the word "clip" instead of "magazine" there was a story about a guy who was smuggling in M1 Garands and Garand equipment from Canada.  The one time I found where they could have correctly used the term "clip" and wouldn't ya' know it, they used the word "magazine!"

When they're so far off about the few things I do know something about, it makes me wonder how accurate they are on other things...
View Quote

Ah yes, the 'smuggling' story.  Did a bit of looking into this one.  

First off it turns out that they were not in fact 'smuggling' by any strict definition - the goods WERE declared.  But let's take a look at what sort of nefarious criminals our feds managed to snare, and how they did it.

Mr Meiteen (SP?) operated a Toronto venture known as King Sol - an outdoors and surplus joint that has been in business since the '40s.  Nice place, I've been there.  Like some other surplus stores up here they've thrown in the towel and aren't carrying guns due to the Firearms Act harassment.  It's a respectable business and he's a respectable businessman.

Was he dealing with crooks in the US?  No, although his US contact apparently knew many criminals.  You see, Mel Bishop of Mel Bishop Enterprises is a retired cop and (if memory serves) Sheriff.

So we've managed to snag a couple folks that have done more than their share to develop and protect their communities.  And how was this made possible?  Was there a massive undercover operation, tearful interviews with scores of victims, secret snitches in the night, clandestine surveillance vans and military personnel ready to provide backup at a moment's notice?  While I wouldn't put it past the Liberals, the story I've heard is plenty different.  No, it seems that Mr Meiteen called the Canadian Firearms Center to register some receivers - as occasionally happens when people bother to comply with our new firearm law.  

This compliance with the registration provisions of the Firearms Act... lol... can't breathe... laughing too hard... aroused the suspicion of the Canadian Firearms Center employee, who in turn sparked a chain of events which led to the arrest of the involved parties.

Did I mention that the guns were apparently brought INTO Canada without being registered as required by the Firearms Act?  That might be a story for another day...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top