Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 7:13:22 PM EDT
My roommate and I are going to head to the Osceola Forest range, north of Gainesville, in Lake City tomorrow morning to sight in a couple rifles and burn a few hundred rounds.

So if you were looking for an excuse to get out of town and blow off some rounds, head on out and say hi. We plan on being there by about 10:30am, till whenever, and wouldn't mind some company.

I know it's Friday, but hell, it's a good excuse for a day off. [;)] If you do head out, just look for the portly fellow with the buzzed hair (me) or the long-hair guy accompanying him. (My roommate.)
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Skipped a helluva lot of classes in '77/'78 at U of Fla to go shooting at the old police range North of town. You can't fool me, you gents don't really need an excuse. Wish I was there.
Enjoy and stay safe
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Too bad that old Police range isn't around anymore. I skipped mine in '81-'83.

Have fun guys.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not aware of it, you might want to check out the range outside of Waldo (God I HATE that town, got me twice).  Just DO NOT SPEED as your going through town....  Trust me.  

Up Waldo road, into town, road splits off with gas station in between.  Chuck's gun shop on the right....up a block to the gas station.... turn left...go ten miles till u come to a T in the road....turn left.....  half mile you'll see Bradford County Sporting Clays sign on the right....  it's a dirt road.  Go to the end.  300 yard rifle range... pistol range.... bow range.... small shop.... heavy into shotgunning with different courses of birds & clays...

Relaxed but safe place to shoot.  Closer than Lake City.  There is an outdoor range in Gainesville, by the UPS station off 441, but it's so new, the rules are so strict, it's no fun.  Paper targets only.  At the Waldo range you can at least shoot at remnents of the shotgun clay targets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Heard about the one out in Waldo...  Does it cost anything?  Gas and time we have, funds however, are scarce. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Parshooter-

We keep the rules at the new G'ville range tight for liability and safety reasons.  Most of us members want to avoid the yahoo factor out there.  If any of you guys want to check out the range and possibly shoot, RSOs are allowed to take guests (I am an RSO).  We did amend the rules, however, to allow Bin LAden targets!

www.gtri.ws

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to shoot out at Gator Skeet and Trap Club and the police academy range near there. Is there still a nice gun shop just South of town on 441 (I forgot the name)? I used to piss that guy off. I would hang out and drool over all the stuff I couldn't afford asking to see this and that. Asking questions, etc. Finally I would buy a box of .22LR and leave. Lots of fun.
I think we skipped Friday classes to go shooting as well. BTW- never "check" your gun with the UPD. Iv'e still got a Winchester 94 with some permanently etched fingerprints in the bluing thanks to their "safekeeping".

'85-'90
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
"Most of us members want to avoid the yahoo factor out there."

Agreed.  I came off too negative.  It's great to have some options, and I love that it's so close.  The Gainesville range is one of the neatest, cleanest and Safest places you can shoot in the company of others.  

Annual memberships there and about $8 bucks per trip at Waldo. Far as I know, the indoor range is still going down on 441.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Makarov.....You must be talking about 'ole Harry Beckwith's store on 441, heehee..He's a trip! The indoor pistol range is located there too. I use to go to the old police range to, sad to see it go. What really sucks is the facilitys are still there, the berms and everthing.....A few guys in some local gun club even tried to get the city to open it back up to the public, but the airport autority raised hell to the city when they caught wind of it!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in grad school at UF now.. Glad to hear there is a range closer than lake city and Ocala. A friend of mine has about 80 acres near Ginnie Springs I shoot on it  when ever i want. I am interested in the local range. can you go and try it out before joining? Beckwiths is pistol only, but still open.

Anyone interested in meeting up drop me a line..

Thanks-
Greg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top