Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2001 9:12:35 PM EDT
Am thinking about one of these and wondering if anyone else liked them?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:51:40 PM EDT
No but I want one really really really bad.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:58:07 PM EDT
Looking at the pics on umog.com, the Pinzgauer looks really cool, but it also looks pretty small, which could be good or bad. That soCal deal on used Hummers on this site actually sounds about as good as anything. Slugbait, mebbe once I decide to start working again, we should get an OR convoy together to scope out some Teuton 4x4s down in AZ.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:47:17 PM EDT
These seem cool until you're broken down in the mountains and need parts and a shop manual.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 6:29:20 PM EDT
One of my dealers has one. I've rode around in it a little bit and liked it pretty well. It seemed to ride about as good as my 4Runner and they sound similiar to a Volkswagon Bettle engine. I would say the size falls just between a full size Blazer and the 4Runner. I can't speak for relaibility, but of the three people I know that own them none have mentioned any broken parts or major problems. I would like to have one, but the dealer close to me that stocks them just keep raising his prices and now wants over $9500 for them. That price is just a little steep for me, considering other vehicles I could buy and modify/fix for less. BMB
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 6:59:47 PM EDT
[url]http://www.real4x4.com/PINZGAUER.shtml
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:44:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doc_Zox: [url]http://www.real4x4.com/PINZGAUER.shtml[/url]
View Quote
making it clickable
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:03:54 PM EDT
Mm boy, I'll bet that 90 horsepower will really snap your head back (not)! Looks kind of top-heavy — do they roll pretty easily?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:15:01 PM EDT
There is a guy where I work that has one and its pretty cool and very rugid but noisey on road. I guess all that room in the back is for carring spare parts in case of a breakdown! Didn't know how many were out there. Place in Arkansas close to me for parts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:42:24 PM EDT
deadeye47, You do know that there are seats in the back and they can carry up to 10 people. These seats also fold down to make a cargo carrying area. Skibane, I don't think they are top haevy at all. Most of the weight is in the drive train which is along the frame line. There is no real weight on the upper portions of the body. It might just appear that way, because of the ground clearence and the skinny tires. BMB
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:47:17 PM EDT
Mm boy, I'll bet that 90 horsepower will really snap your head back (not)!
View Quote
You have to multiply that times the final drive ratio of the drive train for comparison. If I remember correctly, it was near 60:1! It [b]will[/b] snap your neck back, if needed. I rode in one once, and it was more than powerful enough to handle any off-road task. Also, from what I remember, it didn't have much trouble maintaining 60 MPH, and the maximum torque is available near idle. The alternator one the one I saw was 24V. You'll have to buy a DC-DC converter to hook-up all of your 12V equipment, assuming the importer isn't doing something special. I'll agree with BMB that near $10K for one is too much compared to what other solutions cost. Of course, if you need something with tremendous ground clearance (portal axles!), good entry/exit departure angles, available (no idea what they cost) 6x6 w/ locking differentials, and air cooled engine, then it's a more attractive choise.z
Top Top