Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 4:14:26 PM EDT
For a while I have been eyeing a Sako TRG tactical rifle in .338Lap.  Having disposed part of my gun and parts collection (thanks, guys), I was working toward that until I realize that the price of a complete setup with scope, plus some, would make a nice down payment on a slightly used Porsche Boxter.

Porsche:

- I don't have to drive an hour to race course to drive a Porsche, as I would with a rifle to a shooting range.
- It's a convertible.
- If I want a Porsche, I better get it now while I am still young, otherwise I would look like some guy with a midlife crisis.

Sako TRG:

- I don't spend next 5 years making payment and eternity paying high insurance premium.
- Gunsmithing  bill is cheaper than repair bill.
- If I want a tacticle rifle, I better get it now while I can before Fineswine finds some way to ban them (trust me, she's working on it)

Somehow I feel that either way I will regret my decision.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's an "S", I'd go for the Boxster.  Nice driving little car.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Heh, most know Sako as a Finnish product but many don´t know that Porche Boxter´s are also made in Finland.

I´d say you will not regret buying a Sako rifle, be it a normal hunting version or a TRG  model.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Heh, Don't get either of them.  Get a Corvette.  Why?  Because theres something that just says "badass" about a young guy in a vette.  Typically its reserved for the older guys.  Porsche...they look like VW's, cant hold a candle to a Corvette performance wise (unless you get a turbo), and who doesnt appreciate the tune of a 5.7L V8?  Those LS1's sure do put out alot of power.

I say go for a vette.

Getting back to youre problem, and away from my Corvette bias...how many rifles/firearms do you have?  How many cars do you have?  It also depends on what other cars you drive.  If you already have a vette or something sporty like that, get the rifle.  If you drive a minivan, by all means, get the porsche.  Get my drift?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You failed to mention option "C"...

Buy a SAKO, and use it to steal the Porsche!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Boxster. S or standard. It will dust just about everything out there in the corners, including my Carrera 4 which leaves them all, Vettes, Vipers, 355s in the dust.

Also, chicks dig them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get the Boxster. S or standard. It will dust just about everything out there in the corners, including my Carrera 4 which leaves them all, Vettes, Vipers, 355s in the dust.

Also, chicks dig them.
View Quote

I though the same way until I watched a Corvette Z06 spank a Boxter S in the corners on Speed Vision.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I forgot, get them both!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I faced the same problem in 99 when I bought my new BMW M Coupe. My wife put her foot down on 'little' toys like ARs, paintball, etc. because I bought an expensive car. What I did was get the car, wait a while, then slowly start to buy the other expensive toys again. It works; they forget about it when they use your cool car sometimes with their friends. It only took about 6 months and I got away with buying 2 ARs! Ha, they barely even fit in the back if the car!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
buy the sako, cars are a waste of money. all they do is get you from point a to point b. guns are like women, beautiful....

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not get the Porsche. The Boxter is the bastard child of Porsche. Sure it handles well. But it is not that fast. Reminds me too much of a Miata.

You are better off with a Vette or better yet a BMW M3. The M3 is more of a luxury sports car, but it is faster than the Boxter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
QCMGR, it wouldnt even take a ZO6 [to beat a porsche]...

Have you guys heard the specs on the 2002 lineup of C5's?  The standard coupes do 0-60 in about the same time as 2001's ZO6, and the new 405hp ZO6's do 0-60 in 3.9, plus the high end suspension packages in about any of the C5's are comperable to the porcshe's, if not better, Ill cut my leg off the day they come out with a car that performs as well as a 02' ZO6 thats within 50k of the price tag.

Porsche can have a fun time dealing with that, Ill stick with my corvettes.

I think the only porsches that can even put up a fight with any corvette now are the GT models...GT2, GT3.  But who wants to spend 175k?

Hell, Ill put my C4 against most any porsche.

My soon to be C3, may take it down a straight road.  The porsche would spank it in anything involving manuevering, but I can accept that.  All it does is give me something to work on :-)

For christ sake, with the few mods I have done on my Dodge Stratus R/T coupe, I give Porsche boxters something to think about.  My neighbor hates me for it too.  When I get my turbo kit in, with the nitrous, given the weight of the car and the "estimated"  horsepower, there will be very few cars I can't make think twice.  Mustangs, even now, I can stay neck and neck with.  Even beat a few of them.

Simple fact remains, the new ZO6's are the king of the road, all for 50k.  They'd even waste a Viper, and I wouldnt mind seeing them take a ferarri or two.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would not get the Porsche. The Boxter is the bastard child of Porsche. Sure it handles well. But it is not that fast. Reminds me too much of a Miata.

You are better off with a Vette or better yet a BMW M3. The M3 is more of a luxury sports car, but it is faster than the Boxter.
View Quote

VERY TRUE.  I like the M3, but if you're going true sports car, get the M3 Roadster instead of the coupe.  Atleast its got some speed, hell they both do.  But either way, the BMW's are nice.

Check out motor trend, they did a nice article with a vette, BMW, and a boxster.  The Porsche got spanked in every test, and was the most expensive car.

Stay away from the boxster's, as chocolate said above, they are the bastard child of porsche.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just to clear the air, I LOVE Porsches. My dream car is a Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. Even though its $125,000+ I can still dream. If someone would take my left testical in trade I would do it. But the Boxter is the Porsche for the masses, hence not as great as its bigger brothers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just to clear the air, I LOVE Porsches. My dream car is a Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. Even though its $125,000+ I can still dream. If someone would take my left testical in trade I would do it. But the Boxter is the Porsche for the masses, hence not as great as its bigger brothers.
View Quote

Once again, I have to say right on.  911 twin turbos are for drooling over.

Please nobody take my posts offensive or anything, I will admit, I am biased.  But hey, I'd say my love of vettes is pretty much well understood, and justified.  Not many cars on the road can touch them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting dilemma.  No brainer for me, go for the porsche.  Drive the thing every day to work and your commute will never be dull (even in traffic =).  I recently sold my E46 328 and waiting for SMG M3 due early spring.  If you are a car nut like me, you'll get a nice permanent smile on your face whenever you drive that fine piece of machinery.  I love guns too but how often can you use that huge sako anyways??

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Do like me and have your wife buy the car and you buy the rifle.

The porsche is a lot of money for something a Subaru Impreza can out run, but nothing beats the feeling.  The car is SOLID.  You jump out of it into any other car and you feel like you are in a rickity old jalopy.  And the thing turns like nothing else, even a C5.  The C5 might have more ultimate grip but just doesn't turn as quick.  The porsche actually has quite a bit of trunk space as well, both front and rear.

Personally I would spend the extra and get a 2000 Boxster S, but if you go plain get a 2000 or better, much better engine.  With the recession there are lots of good prices on these things as well.

If you can't talk your wife into it, get the porsche.  Chicks do give you the looks btw.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I have ridden in both the new 315 HP BMW M Coupe (I have a 99 Z Coupe) and I drove a Z8 today. The M Coupe is a buddies, and he we did some 0-100 runs. That thing is sicko fast. It fishtails in second gear harder than mine does in a drag launch in first! I would imagine it is definately a vette eater (not Z06). Not that BMW would say so; they say the darndest things. They say the new M Coupe does 0-60 in 5 sec. Well, gee, they also have in their sales brochures that the previous M Coupe does it in 5.1 sec. But it had about 80 HP less! Hmmm. Also, the new M3 has been tested many times to do 0-60 in 4.34 sec. Now, it has basically the same engine as the Coupe (10 HP more) but weighs 400 lbs more, Another hmmm. Anyway, the Z8 belongs to the guy who owns a company I am doing some work for. 394 HP, all alluminum, 6 speed. It hit only first and second a few times, but it was brutal. Sounded like a super bike inside. Forget about that smooth turbine whirring sound of most BMWs. This thing sounded like a banshee. I have flogged many C5 vettes, and those feel like an Astro vans compared to the Z8. Wow. I am going to get someone to hold the digital camcorder when I drive it again, and do some runs to share with everyone. The owner told me he wants me to take it on the highway nextime to see how it really goes. And I-95 is only about 75 ft from the office. Once again, hmmm. Also, I am willing to sell my Coupe soon, since the lease is almost up. Email if interested. Price will be around 23K.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
BTW, people look at me funny when I pull up on the bumpy ass 4WD dirt road to the shooting range in my car, goins 1 mph, scraping the ground. Then I get my ARs out and start rockin.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Tough call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top