Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2001 12:49:41 PM EDT
What do you think would be the best firearm investment for abut $2000?  I have a small $2000 CD due, and I'm going to put this into another firearm.  I know firearms like HK's have really increased in value over the last 15 years. What would you go with?  I am thinking of going with an M4 or some kind of Colt carbine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you already have a good Roth IRA, and a diverse stock portfolio?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do you think would be the best firearm investment for abut $2000?  I have a small $2000 CD due, and I'm going to put this into another firearm.  I know firearms like HK's have really increased in value over the last 15 years. What would you go with?  I am thinking of going with an M4 or some kind of Colt carbine.
View Quote

How about a Fulton Armory NM M1A?  
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
just 1 firearm or multiple purchases?

How about something from [url]www.danwessonfirearms.com[/url]?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Iluv, my portfolio is well diversified. Here are a few of my current holdings.

GE
SUNW
CSCO
QQQ
COMPX
EMC
CSX
PFE
DELL
BEBE
ET
ELY
WMT
SEBL (got hit today after earnings)
MOB
MSFT
MACR
ORCL
Goldman CAP Growth A & B
Some Janus Funds
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#6]
RikWriter has a complete HK-91 kit for sale in the Equipment Exchange...  $2100
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Iluv, my portfolio is well diversified. Here are a few of my current holdings.

GE
SUNW
CSCO
QQQ
COMPX
EMC
CSX
PFE
DELL
BEBE
ET
ELY
WMT
SEBL (got hit today after earnings)
MOB
MSFT
MACR
ORCL
Goldman CAP Growth A & B
Some Janus Funds
View Quote

In that case, make sure to pick a gun that's unique, and sought after.
Buying a "pre-ban" this or a "pre-ban" that is good for shooter purposes, but trust me when I say it's a lot easier to buy one than it is to sell one for a profit.

I traded my Gyrojet for a [b]killer[/b] profit- same with my Dardick. But when i'd try and sell a pre-ban AR, i'd wait forever, and sometimes take a loss.

Be smart.
IMO, the early Smith and Wesson Double Actions are too damn cheap not to explode. Stick to the .38's and the .22''s. 1st Models and 1 1/2 Models can be had reasonably.
Colt Lightinings are too cheap too.

If you want a "shooter" gun that's going to rise in value, Vector UZI's will be $10,000 in 10 years- but the catch is; will C3 goodies still be transferrable in to years [?]

50 BMG isn't a bad better either. More fun than any HK.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Anti, I had a chance to buy an HK 91 for $1500 about a month ago and passed.  I thought this was a great deal, but was shocked when I saw the gun.  It looked like it had been draged behind a truck for a few miles.  I did buy the Mini 14 folder from the guy which was in ALOT better shape for $450.  

How much would a NEW HK 91 sell for?  Can you find them for $2400?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Edited to add- on teh 50 BMG- They will be class 3 soon. If they do them like they did Full Auto's- Freeze civillian production, but existing units reamin transferrable- they will totally explode in value.
A 50 BMG is $2000-$3000 worth of gun.
A M16 is $700 worth of gun, yet people pay $6000 for teh grandfathered paperwork.
Can you imagine what people would pay for 50's once there is a finite amount of them?

Big time baby...
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
There is no suh thing as a "new" HK-91!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Personaly I don't think a firearm as an investment is too good an idea, for personal enjoyment is one thing but if you want to make money on it, it hinges on too many things. For starters the much feared 'sniper' rifle ban will never happen for a whole slew of reasons, mainly because the 'assault' weapon ban BARLEY passed, and these are essentialy dear rifles, far to sticky of an issue, and gun control in general is a dead cause. I am expecting the value of my pre-bans to collapse in 04' when the Assault weapons ban goes away. I have no problem with that because I bought them to shoot. That's just my take on it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know McU.  You can take an AR/M-16 to just about any range and shoot them.  I'm hard pressed to find ANY range around upstate NY that welcomes 50's or is equipped to handle them.  I think anything that gets banned or reclassified does go up in price.  I'm just not convinced that the spike will be as high with 50's.  I'd love an M-16 or an MP5 for full auto play, and if I could afford one and have one in NY I'd consider it.  However, I don't want a .50 now and won't want one down the road.  I think a lot of people are like that.
View Quote

You have never shot a 50.
You just don't understand.
There is nothing like it.

And "you can take a M16 to almost any range and shoot them"

WTF?!?!?!
That is total bullshit. Only a few ranges permit FA. I happen to have one 20 minutes from my house, and if i'm not mistaken, it's the only one within 150 miles that is rated for FA fun.

And BTW- I didn't think NY allowed C3- But they do allow 50's. So, you guys are cut out of the Full Auto club right off the bat- but you still can buy 50's which translates into a larger market share..
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
You may think of a M-1919 A4 Semi-Auto
[url]http://www.usord.com/m1919a4.htm[/url]

I like this two but there a little to much.
[url]http://www.usord.com/m60semi.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.usord.com/m60e3.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of points--

1.  I-Luv makes a good point, however there are basically 2 kinds of Class 3 stuff, Machine Guns and all the other stuff (Destructive Devices, Supressors, SBS, SBR, AOW's).  Only the new production of MG's is banned.  That is why M-16's are $6k now, as you cannot make any new ones for civilian sale since 1986.  So, the .50's are likely to become Destructive Devices rather than completely banned (MG's).  Once the decision is made, the .50's will jump FAST by at least 50% in price until the law/ruling takes effect (people trying to get them before they have to pay a transfer tax).  Then prices will drop down a bit to slightly above current levels.  If they stopped all current civilian production (like MG's), then the $2k State Arms I have will go for $4k overnight.   If you look at supressors now, a $200 cheap supressor is not worth selling (as an individual) as you have to pay a $200 tax to move it off the Form 4 to a Form 3 (assuming it is an out of state sale) and pay the tax again to put it back on a Form 4 for the purchaser (easier for a purchaser to buy direct from a dealer, since only one tax has to be paid).

2.  Don't go by the jump in HK's.  After the '89  import ban and the '94 assault weapon ban, things changed a little bit (prices for pre-bans went up).  Since then they have climbed SLOWLY.  Unless we get a California style AW ban (no new registrations--so people will go crazy trying to buy one before it is too late), I don't anticipate a major price jump (and if we do, the "assault weapon" you have is worth SQUAT after the new ban--since you can never transfer it).

I would go with I_L's advice and get the .50.  You can get nice guns for the $2k range (if you can come up with a little more, that gives you the choice of a State Arms from $1800 to an Armalite to an AMAC to a Barrett for $2600).  Ammo and good scopes for the .50 do add a lot to the cost, however.

The other advice (aside from "collectables" that I really don't know enough about) would be to look for an FNC.  You can get a nice FNC now, and a sear later to make it a full auto (FNC $2k, Sear now is $1600, 3 rd. Burst $300).  

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You may think of a M-1919 A4 Semi-Auto
[url]http://www.usord.com/m1919a4.htm[/url]

I like this two but there a little to much.
[url]http://www.usord.com/m60semi.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.usord.com/m60e3.htm[/url]
View Quote

This is where it is at. Nothing is more fun then a beltfed(except a full-auto). Get the 1919-a6 config with the bipod and rifle stock. Browning built them to last a lifetime and it is really easy to get "high cap mags" for one. The talk about a .50's potential value is legit, but they are more expensive than 2K, especially with a good scope. Get the beltfed!!! [50]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My father and I have been collecting old S&W model 10/MP revolvers for about 10 years and prices seem to have really gone up recently.  We only buy "rare" and/or mint (many with original boxes and/or receipts) specimens and our collection is over 40 revolvers now.  Some of the ones we have tripled or more in price just in last few years.  It seems they are getting popular for collectors.  

As long as you stick with quality weapon in mint condition or a rare variant you'll come out ahead.    
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#19]
if you can get something FA

since theres  such a huge demand and the supply is limited the price will go up even if you shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
If you’re looking at this solely as a cautious investment to make money, I’d suggest an antique firearm.  Not just any old firearm, mind you, but an excellent condition example with historical interest that will likely appreciate in value.

Some of the offbeat firearms of the Civil War and old West come to mind.  I find myself fascinated by unusual firearms such as pepperboxes and Savage and Merwin Hulbert revolvers.  

The nice thing is that there is virtually no likelihood anyone is going to try to ban them.  There are no licensing problems, background checks, etc.  The really bad thing is you can’t shoot them (to any degree).

The other bad thing is you really need to know what you’re doing due to all the fakes, rebuilds, etc. that are out there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I only buy guns that i want to shoot. If it goes up in value great.. if not i don't care.

The only reason I bought a pre-ban AR lower is to load it up with toys.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually Mc, I HAVE fired 50s and it doesn't do much for me. Maybe I'm just not macho enough to get off on it.
View Quote

Actually, I believe it's because your dicks not small enough. And you don't have to subsitute a big gun, for a small dick.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
How young/old are you?  I'd say if you're in your mid 20's-mid 30's go and buy about 10 stripped AR lowers... you've got plenty of time to build them into complete weapons later on.

If you're up there in years... go and buy that exotic rifle you've always wanted... heck, you're about to kick off and you're grandson will really dig it when you leave it to him!

M.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Get a .50  The likelyhood is that they will be restricted, and of course increase in price.  Everybody want's something they can't have!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Spend $1,200.00 on a 99% Pre-ban Bushmaster...and either do one of the following.

A)Deck the Bushie out with all sorts of neat-o do-dads, optics....whatever.

B)Take the remaining $800.00 and buy yourself a BEAUTIFUL AK....or a nice SIG or HK pistol.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top