Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2001 9:03:54 AM EDT
What if the first cases of anthrax was sent by some wacko here.Maybe or maybe not to blame it on 9/11.Now bin Laden getting blamed.Maybe rightfully so.So they go ahead and use since they fiqure its all ready out there.Would this explain the more refined version that has shown up.Or was it grown here in several places and some just weren't as good at it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:06:13 AM EDT
Probably all of it originated in the same place (read: Iraq). The variations are due to different people carrying here, and some didn't care for it as well as others.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:15:26 AM EDT
The ones they have traced to a strain from the 1930's,cultered in this country.This was readily available for reasearch until a few years ago.Not shure about the ones in the Capitol or NY.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:39:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT by GodBlessTexas]
I think the amount of Anthrax being peddled around the country says it would require more facilities than any domestic group could get away with producing. However, it's obviously a domestic group sending the stuff through the mail, as most of the packages have been postmarked from US post offices. They could be independant cells or they could be militia types. Here's the part I don't get though. If the pulmonary form is so much more deadly, with something like a 90% mortality rate, then why is is the cutaneous version that seems to be the one being most mailed? If you wanted to really hurt these people, you wouldn't do it with something that we have the capability of detecting and preventing. Could it be a diversrion, meant to spread us thin looking for anthrax while a cell plots a new target? I wonder how this is effecting those no questions asked anyonymous mail forwarding services. God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:48:26 AM EDT
GodBlessTexas, It is the SAME form of the bacteria. It is the WAY that it is introduced into the body that determines the type of infection. IE: Breathe it in, get pulmonary infection. Get it on a cut, get the cutaneous form. This is a scary world indeed. I really wish it was the 70's again -- the days of the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:59:54 AM EDT
GBT - I think you're right on about this being a diversionary tactic, I would have to guess that many local LE's and the FBI have a large number of resources tied up in investigatig the 3000 some odd false reports, not to mention dealing with the actual cases.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:14:18 PM EDT
I understand that one batch that has been identified was regular, lab-grade stuff. Could that be the one traced to that 1930's culture available today for research? OTOH, the stuff sent to Daschle's office was what an expert on TV last night called "weapons grade". He said it was processed so that it wouldn't clump up and would disperse more easily. He said that it would take a Gov't-funded operation to make that batch. His suspect is Iraq. Could it be that we are dealing with 2 groups? Or maybe the supply for 1 group is so low that they had to resort to "cheap substitutes" for the weapon-grade stuff????? Hmmmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/17/2001 12:19:49 PM EDT by Flip_from_New_York]
Tin Foil Hat Time Ponder this, if you will. What are the chances this is a "pre-strike" causeing all americans to hoard and use up all our Cithro, then suddenly hitting us with the more potent "weapon-grade" bacterium? The news states that this version can be irradicated with simple penicillin. What if this craze causes us to use Cipro, making it less effective for when the "real" stuff hits us? [soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:27:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RBAD: GodBlessTexas, It is the SAME form of the bacteria. It is the WAY that it is introduced into the body that determines the type of infection.
View Quote
Gotcha. Due to my ignorance I thought it might have been two forms, but I was not sure. God Bless Texas
Top Top