Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 5:14:11 PM EDT
I just picked up a slightly used 17 for $300.  Only problem is the slide has a good deal of carry wear.  I was wondering if there is anything on the market that can get the slide finish back within the realm of respectability for a quick turnaround on my investment.   I would like to trade up for a nicer glock or maybe an H&K.   thanks...
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
AeroTek
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Robar will refinish the slide in a different finish without any problem.  But Aerotek is capable of retennifer the slide.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
STAY WITH THE GLOCK!! even if its finish is abused dont waste your money on over priced, over engineered german sheist!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Send it to Mac at [url]www.shootiniron.com[/url]
Get the tuff-gun finish.  Since the polymer frame is the "firearm" according to the law, you can send the slide through the US mail.    
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with AeroTek on this. Actually, the "Black" color of the Glock slide is simply a plain, black oxide finish. The actual Tennifer is underneath this finish.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, refinishing the slide would cost more than you'd gain in trade or resale value.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
... for firearms like this, if the wear isn't extreme, I would use Birchwood/ Casey "Perma-Blue".

... I know it is a cold bluing but for minor touch-ups it works fine. Read the directions.

... cheap too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Use Brownell's teflon-moly finish on the slide. It's cheap and easy.

It's hard to make a Glock uglier...
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Winston-  have you tried cold-bluing a Glock slide?  I haven't, but the rusting process that the bluing chemicals cause is exactly what the tenifer finish was designed to resist.  I've had cold blue fail just because I forgot to remove the coating of Sheath on the metal, I can't imagine it would do anything to a Glock slide.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered sending it back to Glock for refinishing?
When I bought my used model 21 I sent it back to Glock for the extractor upgrade (warranty).  When it went in the finish was worn a bit.  When they cut the slide for the new extractor they have to refinish it anyway.  I requested that they also refinish the barrel and function check the gun.  They quoted me $25 to do the barrel when they do the slide.

I got it back and the slide was refinished beautifully.  They also went ahead and did the barrel, per my request, with no charges.  I even told them to contact me for billing information when it was done but they never did.  When they function tested the gun they replaced some worn parts.  So, I basically got a factory refurbished 21 for a used price.

Just give them a call and see what it would cost for a refinish.  Couldn't be that much!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad sent a well worn Glock 19 back to Glock Inc last year for refinishing. They charged him $45.00, and did an very good job. In addition, they replaced all the gun and mag springs, the Trijicon NS, and paid return Next Day Air charges for free.
It took about 3 weeks.
I'd contact first, before I send to anyone else.

GLOCK Inc. USA
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
USA
Tel.:  +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax.: +1 770 - 433 8719

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top