Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 7:26:31 PM EDT
Is it bad to use an empty case with a live primer in it to 'test' fire a gun? Will this hurt the gun in any way?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has no bullet, that's fine.  Just be aware that there will be some hot, high speed ejecta coming out the muzzle.  Doing the same with a bullet will likely lodge the bullet in your barrel and could cause extensive damage if you try to shoot without first clearing the barrel obstruction.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No harm
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
i'm with bookkeeper on that.dirtyyyy
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you point the muzzle in a safe direction when firing, even if it is just a primed case.  I cracked a mirror when I fired a primed case in my AR.  When I was putting together my first AR, I wanted to see if I was on the right track.  Something that was in the brass or barrel flew out fast enough to hit the mirror.  Now, I point it at a shower curtain.z
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Roll up one of those foam earplugs and insert it into a primed case.i used to shoot at thrown cans in the back yard with a model 10
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't hurt.  But you should be sure to fire it outdoor, and not in a basement etc., because the primer contains lead compounds that is dangerous if you breathe it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top