Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 2:31:21 PM EDT
You know I ask a legit question about what might be wrong with the lower I built and get 0 responses, 30 reads.

Now I post a thread about me not being black and I get 21 responses 279 reads. WTF?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Paul, I love my BLACK rifle.

But since I am not black, I figured my rifle shouldnt be either. So I bought some high temp orange spray paint from Home Depot and gave her a few coats. HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

But serisouly, why is my lower having a hard time feeding out of a 30rnd USGI and not the 20rnd USGI?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that thread should've been jacked.Don't take it personally. I think I hold the record for most locked threads.
Only 50 or maybe 60% of them were locked for just reasons though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But serisouly, why is my lower having a hard time feeding out of a 30rnd USGI and not the 20rnd USGI?
View Quote

Well, it could be the catch is off, causing the fedlips to be positioned at an incorrect angle- but that would likely cause it no not lock into the well at all, so I dobt that.

30 Rd mags have a "curve" to them. Early Colt M16's had to be redesigned to accept them (Per AR15 sourcebook)- You could have a bunk lower, that can't accept the slope of teh mag.

have you tried it with multiple 30 rounders?
It could be a bunk mag.

Edited to add- Is the mag fitting "tight" in the well, or is it not feeding rounds correctly into your chamber?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
All my USGI 30 rndrs.

Its like the mag isnt sitting high enough and the rounds get hung on the feed ramp. I don't know if I screwed up on the 80% lower or if it just needs to be broken in.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All my USGI 30 rndrs.

Its like the mag isnt sitting high enough and the rounds get hung on the feed ramp. I don't know if I screwed up on the 80% lower or if it just needs to be broken in.
View Quote

What exactly did your 80% lower entail drilling?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
duh, your not using orange thermold mags. it's trying to tell you how "wrong" it is to mix colors and destroy the "purity" of....well something
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Insert a 30, press on the bottom of the mag while it's inserted in the rifle.

Is there any vertical play in the mag while it's locked in the well?

----
Wow. I mistakenly typed "teh" instead of "the" [s]three[/s] four times!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
80% lower entails drilling the selector, hammer, trigger, front and rear takedown pin, and trigger guard holes. Boring and taping the buffer tube hole and pistol grip hole. Drilling all the detent holes, buffer tube retainer, mag catch hole, mag catch spring hole. Milling (filing) the top plane of the upper till it fits, and filing the magwell to fit.

The mag catch hole was pre done and is suppose to be to spec. Like I said 20 rndrs feed perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
No play in the mag well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, at this point, i'd question the integrity of the lower itself.
Like I said. 30's have a "curve" to them that exists throughout the lower mag body- whereas 20's are straight.

If the 20's are feeding fine, and the 30's aren't, it's definitley a "curve" issue.

That could be one of 2 things- Either an incorrectly positioned catch, that doesn't work in conjunction with the curve of a 30 Rd mag, or a bad mag-well that isn't to spec with 30's.

You said no vertical play (and I assume no lateral play) in the mag when it's locked.

When the 30 rd mag is in the lower, do you notice a "cant" as far as the positioning of the feedlips?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a slight bit of play front to back. I'd say 1/16". But I think I might have fixed the problem.

I CLPed the everloving hell out of the buffer and the buffer spring. Then put a light coating of Hi-Slip grease on the bolt carrier and rails.

That SEEMS to make it feed better, and go into battery fully. I am probably thinking too much into this and need to just go out and break the damn thing in by shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I still think it's a receiver issue.

The below pic demonstrates the excess "curve" that exists between a 20rd and a 30rd. The lower has to compensate for that.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/Je/WJ/FC/5Q95459.jpg[/img]

According to my ruler (rough measurement), it's 4mm of extra material on a 30 rounder that exists foreward of the basepad of any given 20 rounder. That would likely cause a forward cant to the mag when locked into the well assuming either the catch hole or the well itself isn't to spec.

If the 20rounder didn't work either, this wouldn't be applicable. But since the 20 is working-
The 30 is locking and not feeding-
and the rounds are nosediving, this is likely cause by that cant that exists with 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
What is the position of your mag catch button relative to the screw end. If the screw end is below the face of the button to much that could be your problem. If this is your first build it happens more than you think. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks full-clip, I overlooked that. I got 2 turns out of the mag catch. Now it sticks out one thread past the mag release button. This did seem too tighten up the mag in the magwell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top