Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2001 8:47:55 PM EDT
For those of you who know what I'm talking about, I picked up a fresh set of #13s today.

Can't wait to get them on my 400.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice going, 455SD.
I had a 400 from a '69 GP sitting in the backyard by the garage that someone liberated the #62's from.
They mysteriously appeared on a "friends" '64 GTO.  That was in the days of my youth, foggy, groggy days...
I have a fresh set of '77 6X's sitting in the garage now awaiting the rebuild of the '69 block.
If I could figure out how to mount my '66 TriPower on the 6X's without having the crossover heat passage leak, I'd be in fat city.
The 400 is going in my '69 LeMans.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
someone stole the heads off of one of your motors?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You probably got Frank the Spank all hot and bothered for nothing.

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
BusMaster007

Just fill in the dead hole above the heat passages on your 6xs with furnce cerment or have them welded up at the machine shop and grind them smooth----or give me your manifold to mount my carbueretors on and stick on my 13s[:D]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
heeey!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
someone stole the heads off of one of your motors?
View Quote

Yeah.  But, his girlfriend liked me...
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BusMaster007

Just fill in the dead hole above the heat passages on your 6xs with furnce cerment or have them welded up at the machine shop and grind them smooth----or give me your manifold to mount my carbueretors on and stick on my 13s[:D]
View Quote

I read that Nunzi Ramano used some .015" metal shims to seal it off.  Dubious.
I'll keep that TriPower, thank you!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I read that Nunzi Ramano used some .015" metal shims to seal it off.  Dubious.
I'll keep that TriPower, thank you!
View Quote

Nunzio Romano???  What, are you going to bring up Herb Adams next?  Geez, Pontiac blast from the past.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Nunzio Romano???  What, are you going to bring up Herb Adams next?  Geez, Pontiac blast from the past.
View Quote

How about Mecham Racing's 400hp 400cid, or Gale Bank's Twin Turbo, written up in Car & Driver.

Great memories of great times.

Girlfriend says we are pretty much the end of American musclecar fans. Most 20-ish drivers are going rice. Guy at work, is a HUGE Nascar nut. He just bought a new car. Monte Carlo? Grand Prix? No, an Accord, and a 4 cyl at that. WTF?!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
It's sadly true most new drivers have lost their way. Most guys I see in cool, old cars are at least 30ish if not older. Where did we go wrong? Tons of torque and 5 mpg are good things.[:)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
info for you guys that love the ponchos fill the port on the 4 6 exhaust port and make a thin divider between the 2 ports. this will improve tork and hp. try it on a shit set of heads first and one more thing do it in one pour other wise your time has been wasted and you will find chunks in your headers
Gary
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Gary

Gimme some mo' details. I think I know what you are talking about but you kinda lost me somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's sadly true most new drivers have lost their way. Most guys I see in cool, old cars are at least 30ish if not older. Where did we go wrong? Tons of torque and 5 mpg are good things.[:)]
View Quote

Hey, I resemble that remark. Actually our sports car was chosen buy the wife as she was the one who could afford it.  I was buckin for the 66 vette but she wanted something small and german.  Oh well.  I also told her for a mere fraction of what she spent we could have got a ram air IV Trans Am.  She just doesn't get it. [;)]

Funny thing about the rice burners is that there are so many well engined V-8s today with horsepower and gas mileage (relatively speaking of course).   For a little over twenty grand you can get a 310 horsepower camaro (thought it is ugly as sin IMHO) or a mustang GT (not a ford fan though).  I just don't get the appeal of the civics.  Though I did see an 800 horspower Supra once and was pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gary

Gimme some mo' details. I think I know what you are talking about but you kinda lost me somewhere.
View Quote
OK on your center port (4n6 and 3n5) they are open there is no devider in there like a small block chev for example, so if you devvide the ports by puting a small wall in there you will lose the cavation of the exast gases hence causing a more eficent flow.this is how you do it. take clay and plug your ports. then take the clay out so you have the shape of the port cut the center out of it it onlt has to be 1/8 to 1/4 wide, then you put the 2 outer pieces back in the head. Then you take a old piston melt it in a old pan or something that wont melt easy. now you have some red hot melted alummum in a pan pour the alumum into the devider hole that you made.MAKE SURE YOU DO IT IN ONE POUR OR YOU ARE JUST WASTING YOUR TIME!! Then wait 24hrs for the alummun to cool take your clay out of the ports take youe dremmel or what ever you use for porting and clean up the casting marks form the clay, go to your local speed shop and have them deck mill or what ever the exast side of your head and there you go. .6 on a gtec for 5 hrs of your time. by the way after you do this you have to get a set of 4 tube headers the tri will not work. I have helped do this 2 times with one of my friends. he has a all steel 74 firebird (non tubed) that runs 9.1 at 148 on cast heads.......... I hoped this helped you more and sorry about the spelling it is 1am and I don't want to edit
Gary
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Garry
Ok that's not what I was thinking.

Which heads are you using? All mine are already divided and I've always used the four tube hedders. Forgive me if I am just stupid but you got my curiosity up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#16]
On the subject of new vs old cars; I'll stick with my 74 Superduty Trans-am. Not as plush but a lot cooler.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top